Movie Tab II

Tools    

Captain Spaulding, have you seen McCarey's original version of An Affair to Remember, Love Affair? It's just as contrived and manipulative, but I think I like it more. Mostly because of my affection for the suave of Charles Boyer
Duck Soup is the only other Leo McCarey film I've seen.

Let the night air cool you off
Captain Spaulding-

I'm sure some will disagree, but when it comes to Eddie Murphy, you only need to see Beverly Hills Cop, 48 Hours, and Trading Places. You've seen Cop-check out the other 2 and forget the rest.
When it comes to Eddie Murphy you only need to see Raw and Delerious.
It's been a while, but when I was a youngster I enjoyed The Nutty Professor. I don't know how I'd feel about it now, but it has Dave Chappelle in it. It can't be all that bad.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Duck Soup is the only other Leo McCarey film I've seen.
You should see Make Way for Tomorrow then, his best film and one of Hollywood's best from the period.

It’s A Classic Rope-A-Dope
Captain Spaulding-

I'm sure some will disagree, but when it comes to Eddie Murphy, you only need to see Beverly Hills Cop, 48 Hours, and Trading Places. You've seen Cop-check out the other 2 and forget the rest.
When it comes to Eddie Murphy you only need to see Raw and Delerious.
It's been a while, but when I was a youngster I enjoyed The Nutty Professor. I don't know how I'd feel about it now, but it has Dave Chappelle in it. It can't be all that bad.
This is key, I was not young when it came out. I don't hate the movies Captain mentioned. I was just never as enamored as most my age, and I don't think they hold up very well.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

The Outlaw and His Wife aka You and I (Victor Sjöström, 1918)
+
Dogs ‘n Ducks (Ford Beebe & Norman Wright, 1953)

Johnny Skidmarks (John Raffo, 1998)

Bacall on Bogart (David Heeley, 1988)

Humphrey Bogart and Betty Bacall with their son Stephen (named after his dad’s character in To Have and Have Not) and daughter Leslie (named after actor Leslie Howard who helped her dad get his breakthrough role in the play and film version of The Petrified Forest).
Foxy Brown (Jack Hill, 1973)
+
The Jackie Robinson Story (Alfred E. Green, 1950)

Together Brothers (William A. Graham, 1974)

The Cider House Rules (Lasse Hallström, 1999)

A young orphan echoes the thoughts of Tobey Maguire, who was raised in the orphanage and works there as the apprentice of Dr. Michael Caine.
Bunny Lake Is Missing (Otto Preminger, 1965)
+
Larry Crowne (Tom Hanks, 2011)

Yankee Fakir (W. Lee Wilder, 1947)

Buck and the Preacher (Sidney Poitier, 1972)

In post-Civil War Kansas, conniving preacher Harry Belafonte, wagonmaster Sidney Poitier, and the latter’s wife Ruby Dee must try to aid a group of recently-freed slaves against a group of white men who want to use them for cheap labor basically amounting to new slaves.
Universal Soldier: The Return (Mic Rodgers, 1999)
+
Diggstown (Michael Ritchie, 1992)

Sinbad, the Sailor (Richard Wallace, 1947)
+
Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors (Sergei Parajanov, 1965)

Surrealistic imagery tells this Ukrainian fable poetically.
Law of the Badlands (Lesley Selander, 1951)

Gunplay (Lesley Selander, 1951)

Fort Vengeance (Lesley Selander, 1953)

Tyson (James Toback, 2009)

This documentary, which is more like a stream of consciousness of heavyweight boxer Mike Tyson, shows him to be surprisingly articulate and a deep thinker; it also shows him to be quite possibly in need of an exorcism.

Kimjongilia (2010) - NC Heikin

-

Superbad (2007) - Greg Mottola

Belle de Jour (1967) - Luis Bunuel

The Sword of Doom (1966) - Kihachi Okamoto

+

A Guide For the Married Man (1967) - Gene Kelly

The Sorrow & the Pity (1969) - Marcel Ophuls

+

Andrei Rublev (1966) - Andrei Tarkovsky

+

By the Bluest of Seas (1936) - Boris Barnet/S Mardanin

+

Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (2013) - Justin Chadwick

+

Transformers: Dark of the Moon (2011) - Michael Bay

-

Help me! I started playing a particular game and lost all my interest in movies! I don't feel like watching anything. I only want to play!

Route 666 (William Wesley, 2001)

Hard Rain (Mikael Salomon, 1998)

Tall Man Riding (Lesley Selander, 1955)

Sir Arne's Treasure (Mauritz Stiller, 1919)

An odd, haunting procession follows a ship becoming stuck in the ice.
Arrow in the Dust (Lesley Selander, 1954)

One Man’s Justice aka One Tough Bastard (Kurt Wimmer, 1996)

Daltry Calhoun (Katrina Holden Bronson, 2005)

Manon of the Spring (Claude Berri, 1986)

After what happens to her father, Manon (Emmanuelle Béart) stays on his property as a shepherdess and learns some things about her two former neighbors (Yves Montand and Daniel Auteuil).
The Penalty (Harold S. Bucquet, 1941)

Home Early (Roy Rowland, 1939)

We Who Are Young (Harold S. Bucquet, 1941)

My Summer of Love (Pawel Pawlikowski, 2004)
+

Emily Blunt and Natalie Press seem like polar opposites, but they're attracted to each other in multiple ways.
Calling Dr. Kilgare (Harold S. Bucquet, 1939)

On Borrowed Time (Harold S. Bucquet, 1939)

Ernest Scared Stupid (John Cherry, 1991)

Good Night, and Good Luck. (George Clooney, 2005)
+

In 1953, CBS broadcast journalist Edward R. Murrow (David Strathairn) takes on Senator Joseph McCarthy and his Communist witch hunts.
Test Pilot (Victor Fleming, 1938)

Boom Town (Jack Conway, 1940)

Barquero (Gordon Douglas, 1970)

A Spell to Ward Off the Darkness (Ben Rivers & Ben Russell, 2014)

Robert A.A. Lowe camps by himself in Arctic Finland, and later hangs out in an Estonian commune and fronts a neo-pagan black metal band in Norway.

A Little Sex (Bruce Paltrow, 1982)

Angel on My Shoulder (Archie Mayo, 1946)

Looking at London (James A. FitzPatrick, 1946)
-
Dallas Buyers Club (Jean-Marc Vallée, 2013)

The closest Ron Woodroof (Matthew McConaughey) gets to peace during the whole movie.
Two Boobs in a Balloon (Lloyd French, 1935)
-
Scalplock (James Goldstone, 1966)

After the Fox (Vittorio De Sica, 1966)

Footlight Parade (Lloyd Bacon. 1933)

Busby Berkeley’s water choreography in the “By a Waterfall” number.
The Rain People (Francis Ford Coppola, 1969)

Strauss and Vienna: On Location: The Great Waltz (No Director Listed, 1972)

Her Sister’s Secret (Edgar G. Ulmer, 1946)

Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore (Martin Scorsese, 1974)
-

Widow Alice (Ellen Burstyn - right) gets a job waitressing at Mel’s (Vic Tayback) and makes friends with fellow waitresses Diane Ladd and Valerie Curtin.
One Is a Lonely Number (Mel Stuart, 1972)

It’s a Small World (William Castle, 1950)

Macabre (William Castle, 1958)

Hombre (Martin Ritt, 1967)

Raised as a Native American, white man Paul Newman finds himself an outsider who’s forced to help those he doesn’t respect when his stagecoach is attacked by robbers.
Outer Space (Peter Tscherkassky, 1999)

The Enchanted Cottage (John Cromwell, 1945)

April in Paris (David Butler, 1952)

Atonement (Joe Wright, 2007)

The elder daughter (Keira Knightley) of a wealthy family and their housekeeper’s son (James McAvoy) share a strong physical passion, but later her younger sister turns their lives into an upheaval.

Yeah, I always look at it sideways when I see someone post tv in here. Get over to the TV tab, Lines!
In the past I didn't post in the TV tab because I didn't watch much TV (I watch more now that I'm married since my wife would rather watch shows than subtitled movies, but still not all that much). Wouldn't want to be a victim of the ol' hk/guap askance eye though, so I'll take them to the TV tab in the future.

Death At A Funeral (Frank Oz, 2007)

Akira (Katsuhiro Ôtomo, 2001)
-

The Great Mouse Detective (Ron Clements, Burny Mattinson, et. al, 1986)

The Last Samurai (Edward Zwick, 2003) (Rewatch)
+

Lawrence of Arabia (David Lean, 1962)
-

I'm not old, you're just 12.
It Follows - This is a good one. A throwback to tension filled old school horror films, It Follows is pretty terrifying. I have a few problems with the film seeming about ten minutes too long, I would say, but the film's tone, writing, acting, and direction are all perfect. A rare modern horror that doesn't seem like a calculated product.

Down To Earth - Growing up, my older sister and I would have classified this film as a "two star classic." It's an entertaining, but ultimately unremarkable, film. Chris Rock is pretty good as an actor, but not as good as he is as a stand-up. The film has a few big laughs, but in the end, it's just alright.
(It gets an extra star because I needed a laugh tonight. other nights it maybe wouldn't have.)

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

A system of cells interlinked
Purple Rain

(Magnoli, 1984)

My, how times have changed. I remember when this came out - I was in Jr. high school, and all the rap kids were over the moon about this. I had seen parts of this over the years, but had never really sat down to watch this whole thing. It's really just a glorified music video with some family drama thrown in. The acting is rough across the board, except maybe the fellow whp plays The Kid's(Prince) father, played by Clarence Williams III. This guy seems like an actual actor stranded in a film with a bunch of people that have never been in front of a camera before. I enjoyed some of the music, but overall, this was pretty bad.

The Kid, who rehearses each day with his band, The Revolution, comes home at night to find his abusive father has been mistreating his malcontent mother, and he tries to defend her the best he can. Later, he begins to take on the abusive traits of his father, and he knocks his girlfriend around, who decides to leave him. At the same time, his music has gotten to abstract, as The Kid gets lost more and more in his own arrogance and navel-gazing. At some point I wondered why I am supposed to care about some abusive narcissist, which is sort of when this film collapses in on itself. It's really just a vanity piece for a popular artist at the time, and it comes across as contrived and silly in places, and cringe-worthy in others. Pretty sure if the protagonist of a film started knocking his love interest around in a film today...well, that just wouldn't happen today! Those actions would be reserved (rightly so) for the antagonist. Not a great movie.