Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Maze Runner: The Death Cure (2018)

Haven't posted in a long time. I very much enjoyed Becker's The Hole more than either Renoir's Grand Illusion or Bresson's A Man Escaped. Having seen Hands Off the Loot as well, I suspect Becker is just my kind of director in general.

Watched it last night, and was very impressed. It plays like a thriller or suspense drama. It's understandable that it won best Documentary Feature (although I haven't yet seen the other nominees).

But how does one gauge the quality of a documentary? There is really no acting, no screen play, usually no special effects. The subject matter must be interesting. Then the cinematography, footage, editing, and direction make up the value of the film.

The slightly confusing part was the transition from playwright Brian Fogel's project of doping in order to win an amateur cycling event, into his stumbling upon a much more vast cloak & dagger Olympic doping scandal, principally involving the Russians. But once that transition is in place, the narrative becomes increasingly jaw-dropping.

~Doc
I thought it deserved the Oscars. But I also thought the committee would try to make some sort of a political statement by giving it to Last Men in Aleppo. Like last year's best foreign film, NO WAY, The Salesman was better than A Man Called Ove!

Also they gave the documentary last year to the OJ Simpson thing, that topic has really been beaten to death over the past 25 years. It was just detailed. Nothing new or fascinating. US's infatuation with OJ is baffling.

13th should have won it. It had a far more interesting premise and wonderfully done.

The slightly confusing part was the transition from playwright Brian Fogel's project of doping in order to win an amateur cycling event, into his stumbling upon a much more vast cloak & dagger Olympic doping scandal, principally involving the Russians. But once that transition is in place, the narrative becomes increasingly jaw-dropping.

~Doc
So confusing, which was what I said in my original critique. Had no idea it would win an Oscar. I thought the Russian guy was so creepy. His life so Faustian. So weird when he did the Skypes without a shirt on.

Wouldn’t be too hard to find him IMO. Drive along the Californian coast looking for a garrulous Russian scientist & his dog living in a house on the beach.

Warm & fuzzy.

I expected nothing from this movie, but it was really good. Lead actor Tom Schilling (who I have never heard of) was excellent. Really enjoyed it.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...

I expected nothing from this movie, but it was really good. Lead actor Tom Schilling (who I have never heard of) was excellent. Really enjoyed it.

I've seen this movie few years ago, but unlike you I expected from it to be more original. Overall I would say it's decent film. I agree with you, lead actor was pretty good and I also haven't heard about him before and after the movie

[IMG]I've seen this movie few years ago, but unlike you I expected from it to be more original. Overall I would say it's decent film. I agree with you, lead actor was pretty good and I also haven't heard about him before and after the movie
Don’t get me wrong. It wasn’t a masterpiece. But I’ve seen some horrible movies lately & I was just glad to find a movie that I finished. Cute little Indie film, that’s it.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
Don’t get me wrong. It wasn’t a masterpiece. But I’ve seen some horrible movies lately & I was just glad to find a movie that I finished. Cute little Indie film, that’s it.
I believe I didn't get you wrong. We just had different expectations before the movie. Watching this kind of movies I awlays puts me in good mood and this is the best side of this kind of cimena.
I love this kind of "disappointment", when a movie turn out to be better than I expected. Priceless

The Man Who Invented Christmas 2017
★★★

You can't win an argument just by being right!

I saw this yesterday but couldnt reply. When I was a kid Frank was one of my favourites so much so I called my first puppy 'Zappa'.

Last movie

The Big Street. My god Lucy was a stunner.
So was Henry Fonda.

Great acting and what a surprise that turned out to be.

I thought it deserved the Oscars. But I also thought the committee would try to make some sort of a political statement by giving it to Last Men in Aleppo. Like last year's best foreign film, NO WAY, The Salesman was better than A Man Called Ove!

Also they gave the documentary last year to the OJ Simpson thing, that topic has really been beaten to death over the past 25 years. It was just detailed. Nothing new or fascinating. US's infatuation with OJ is baffling.

13th should have won it. It had a far more interesting premise and wonderfully done.
Yes, and I'm glad they didn't attempt to make a political point. Political references and advocacy are gradually killing the Oscars, as evidenced by their steady major loss in viewers. I'm sure the elite stars who live in a fantasy bubble don't care, but you can be sure that the sponsors do.

At minimum they need to trim an hour from the presentation, remove some of the minor awards that no one is aware of, and above all-- ban all political references. No one tunes in to be told what to believe. They tune in to see which of the actors and films that they saw won awards.

~Doc

P.S. Nice movie list..

The Isle (2000) (Dir. Kim Ki-duk)

I made a directory of foreign films years ago in which I list the synopsis for this as "A shopkeeping prostitute saves a suicidal fisherman." I think I undersold it a bit. Having seen Ki-duk's 3-Iron and Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring, I was not expecting something this dark from him. Glad to see it from him though. He has a Cronenbergian understanding of the gradient between pain and pleasure. Powerful stuff.

Glad you've got back
Nice to see you again, M

Welcome to the human race...
Yes, and I'm glad they didn't attempt to make a political point. Political references and advocacy are gradually killing the Oscars, as evidenced by their steady major loss in viewers. I'm sure the elite stars who live in a fantasy bubble don't care, but you can be sure that the sponsors do.

At minimum they need to trim an hour from the presentation, remove some of the minor awards that no one is aware of, and above all-- ban all political references. No one tunes in to be told what to believe. They tune in to see which of the actors and films that they saw won awards.

~Doc

P.S. Nice movie list..
lmao what, the Oscars have always been political and just because they're being a bit more upfront about it lately and actively changing their direction it's suddenly too much for people? The idea that they need to "ban all political references" is especially absurd since the nominated films all take their own political stances, however overt or subtle (even the crowd-pleasing blockbusters like Avatar or Fury Road do this), and if people are just "tuning in to see who/what won awards" then their investment in the films' successes or failures can't help but reflect their own political opinions as well as their artistic opinions. Besides, it's more than a little rude to suggest that they drop the minor awards just because they don't have the built-in face value of the major ones - if the Academy really cares about acknowledging the sheer craftsmanship of the movies, they have to do more than just mention actors and directors.

That being said, if they really want to cut some time they can afford to drop the hidden-camera stunts and some of the montages.

Anyway...

Man on Wire -

f*ck dude he sure is

~Doc

P.S. Nice movie list..
Thanks!

The show takes about 3.5 hours to get over. Barring a debacle of wrong winner announcement.
Yes, they could trim a at least 30 mins of it, i guess. But at least this year was much better than last year.
I am not sure which category they can cut, short film, short documentary and short animation, maybe? But then they lose interest, i guess. I am not sure about the process of making/budgeting/hiring for these projects though!
I dont have a problem with them taking a political stance. For me in to one ear, out of the other. They are citizens too. Well most of them are. The acceptance speeches had a whole lot of British accent!

Originally Posted by hell_storm2004
Oh no, the whole of the US is not infatuated with OJ. I and many people I know just wish OJ and the entire thing would just get sucked into a black hole or something. I vomit.

Originally Posted by GulfportDoc
No one tunes in to be told what to believe. They tune in to see which of the actors and films that they saw won awards.
If I ever watch it, it's mainly to see the pretty actresses. And I can skip the Awards and watch the Red Carpet Show leading into the Oscars.

Now, Emma Stone...I don't know if I'm jazzed about the outfit, I just know that I love her, so anything she wears...or doesn't wear, is okay with me.

Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

I wouldn't know how good this was because it just bored the piss out of me. It took me a few tries to get through it. I like Gosling a lot but he was nothing compared to Ford in the original. Even the original I just finally enjoyed a little on my 3rd watch a couple of years ago. That used to bore the piss out of me too. Maybe in 30 years I'll get through this one in one shot if someone hangs me up with hooks to my eyelids. It looked great though "hand makes jerking motion".
I gave up after 20 minutes and haven't bothered with it again.

Bottoms Up (David Butler, 1934)
+
L'chaim