Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

1st Rewatch...If you can accept the basic premise of this fact-based drama then the rest of the movie should be quite digestable. Kevin Hart plays a recently released from jail parolee who is hired by a quadraplegic millionaire (Bryan Cranston) to be his caregiver. As interesting as this fact-based movie might be, I still find it hard to believe that a wheelchair bound millionaire would trust his care to a black manfresh out of jail, but that's just me. On the other hand, it was kind of aggravating watcing this con being so unappreciative of the opportunity that has fallen into his lap. If you can get behind the unlikely story, true as it might be, the performances by Cranston and Hart do help.

1st Rewatch...If you can accept the basic premise of this fact-based drama then the rest of the movie should be quite digestable. Kevin Hart plays a recently released from jail parolee who is hired by a quadraplegic millionaire (Bryan Cranston) to be his caregiver. As interesting as this fact-based movie might be, I still find it hard to believe that a wheelchair bound millionaire would trust his care to a black manfresh out of jail, but that's just me. On the other hand, it was kind of aggravating watcing this con being so unappreciative of the opportunity that has fallen into his lap. If you can get behind the unlikely story, true as it might be, the performances by Cranston and Hart do help.
Have you seen the original film, The Intouchables?

I sort of liked it, but there was one scene I had a really hard time getting over, where (mild spoilers)
WARNING: spoilers below
the caretaker pours boiling water on the man's leg to "test" that he can't feel his legs. I mean . . . . that is horrifying and in reality would cause an injury that could be life-threatening to someone in that position.

I don't know if that scene is in the American remake, but I really couldn't get past it.

2nd Rewatch...Maybe the last source material that I ever thought could be turned into a musical, this exuberant film version of the 2005 Broadway musical based on the 1985 Steven Spielberg film based on the Alice Walker novel blazes across the screen, retaining the novel's original often ugly and unsettling subject matter is still center stage with musical numbers that somehow come from a believable place. Especially enjoyed "Hell No", "Shug Avery's Coming to Town" and "What About Love". The performances are on target, espcially Fantasia Barrino as Celie and Danielle Brooks' powerhouse turn as Sophia that earned her an Oscar nomination. Gorgeous photography and dazzling choreography are icing on the cake.

3rd Rewatch...Michael Keaton's remarkable work brining four different characters to the screen still keeps this comedy watchable. Keaton plays an overworked contractor who decides the solution to freeing up some time for himself is to have himself cloned, causing a lot of confusion for his wife (Andie McDowell), boss, co-workers and clients. It starts to run out of gas once the third clone is created, but Keaton and director Harold Ramis keep the film watchable.

Have you seen the original film, The Intouchables?

I sort of liked it, but there was one scene I had a really hard time getting over, where (mild spoilers)
WARNING: spoilers below
the caretaker pours boiling water on the man's leg to "test" that he can't feel his legs. I mean . . . . that is horrifying and in reality would cause an injury that could be life-threatening to someone in that position.

I don't know if that scene is in the American remake, but I really couldn't get past it.
I have not seen The Intouchables and there is a scene in this movie where Cranston gets hot coffee spilled on him.

2nd Rewatch...Maybe the last source material that I ever thought could be turned into a musical, this exuberant film version of the 2005 Broadway musical based on the 1985 Steven Spielberg film based on the Alice Walker novel blazes across the screen, retaining the novel's original often ugly and unsettling subject matter is still center stage with musical numbers that somehow come from a believable place. Especially enjoyed "Hell No", "Shug Avery's Coming to Town" and "What About Love". The performances are on target, espcially Fantasia Barrino as Celie and Danielle Brooks' powerhouse turn as Sophia that earned her an Oscar nomination. Gorgeous photography and dazzling choreography are icing on the cake.
Saw this in the theater when it was released and it was a fantastic film to see on the big screen from the first moment to the last. I thought all the performances were fantastic and the blend of drama, comedy, and music landed just right.

Thelma

Thelma is a joyful ride.

Starring nonagenarian June Squibb (who is also on the cast of Inside Out 2), the movie revolves around the title character after she's swindled out of $10,000 by a phone scammer (Malcolm McDowell).

Together with her close pal (a posthumous performance by Richard Roundtree), Thelma decides she's going to get her money back, at any cost.

The film's gifted cast also includes Parker Posey and Clark Gregg.

The Exorcism

We're a still a long way from awards season, but it's hard to imagine The Exorcism having any serious competition when the nominations are announced next year.

That is, the nominations for next year's Razzies.

This is a movie that should have been marketed as the cure for insomnia.

Three excellent movies.

She-Wolf of London - 1946 mystery/horror of sorts. It's appropriate to avoid a precise classification because it's not the type of movie you would expect going strictly by the title. Set in fogbound London in the early 1900's - or maybe late 1800's - since there are no cars to be seen. It opens at Scotland Yard with Inspector Pierce (Dennis Hoey) and Detective Latham (Lloyd Corrigan) discussing a spate of murders at a local park.

Meanwhile Phyllis Allenby (June Lockhart) and her fiancé Barry Lanfield (Don Porter) discuss wedding plans. She lives at the Allenby mansion with her only surviving relatives, her aunt Martha Winthrop (Sara Haden) and cousin Carol (Jan Wiley), along with housekeeper Hannah (Eily Malyon). Phyllis becomes convinced that she had a hand in the murders where the victims are said to have been "ripped to pieces". She has come to believe in the legend of the Allenby Curse which hints at her family line being tainted by werewolf blood.

It'll be up to you to decide if the payoff justifies the buildup. The cast is certainly up to the task and the sets and cinematography are on point. This might not qualify as must see but it's not a waste of time either.

60/100

The Fall Guy - (David Leitch, 2024)

It's been a while since I saw a braindead, pure fun/action movie. I had a blast watching it. 8/10

Midsommar (2019)

This had a good few points between the mysticism of the Swedish "tribe" and also has a satisfying end to it. The path to that end is patchy though, the good is the burgeoning mistrust between the students and the bad is their seemingly blase attitude to the death of their friends. It's a good, if rather flimsy tale. Florence Pugh is breathtakingly shot in this. Jack Reynor is great too as the opportunistic Christian.

I forgot the opening line.

By The poster art can or could be obtained from Paramount Pictures., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=48305018

Daddy's Home - (2015)

Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg had great chemistry in The Other Guys, and that's why I was enthusiastic about watching Daddy's Home - but any chemistry they might have was let down by a flaccid screenplay, and seemingly little room for the two to improvise. It's second-stringers like Thomas Haden Church and the wonderfully droll Hannibal Buress that make this endurable. I think there's a better vibe when the two main stars play characters that are friends - and that's probably why I'm so interested in seeing Daddy's Home 2 despite not liking this one all that much. (I know, I know - the reviews were scathing.) Ferrell is phoning it in here as Step-Dad Brad, having to compete with wife Sara's (Linda Cardellini) muscle bound ex Dusty (Wahlberg) arriving on the scene - more capable at everything (except making us laugh.) Instantly forgettable.

5/10

By May be found at the following website: http://medias.unifrance.org/medias/0...edia.pngGotten from Unifrance: http://medias.unifrance.org/medias/0...page/media.png, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=47270405

Jeanne Dielman, 23 quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles - (1975)

Remarkable (and very long) film that showcases how obsessive, compulsive housework (perfected to a ritualistic art by Jeanne - played by Delphine Seyrig) is often used to repress desires and needs. A very avant-garde, arthouse film which is nonetheless impeccable and brilliantly filmed. Full review here, in my watchlist thread.

9/10

Latest Review : Aftersun (2022)

Something in the Water (2024) - 3/10

Not sure who this film was made for as it was very bland and benign in pretty much every way.
The acting, was poor, the story was unoriginal and there was no tension or surprises.
Very unrealistic and like the cast, it treads water far too early and for too long and struggles to stay afloat.
The shark effects were ok, the tropical resort was beautiful, the odd joke humorous and the music was well implemented, but otherwise, nothing really memorable or to recommend.

I forgot the opening line.

By https://www.movieposterdb.com/fanny-i54866/2c9ea6c0, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=24234124

Fanny - (1961)

I felt quite foolish when Fanny turned out not to be a musical - I'd thought it was for the longest time, but in the end it's straight-narrative style served the story better. No breaking out in song for these young lovers and elderly curmudgeons and eccentrics. The lovely Leslie Caron was now 29 years-old, but she can pull off 18 easily. I've seen her in An American in Paris, GiGi, Daddy Long Legs and she's also in Chocolat. It's a story of love torn asunder by one young man's desire to be free and explore the world despite having to leave the love of his life behind (she insists he go, for she fears he'll eventually hate her for tying him down to Marseille.) This guy, Marius, is played by German actor Horst Buchholz, who'd just scored a good role in The Magnificent Seven. Fanny was nominated for 5 Oscars, including Best Picture. It was probably the least likely out of a crowd that included The Hustler, West Side Story (the eventual winner), Judgment at Nuremberg and The Guns of Navarone. That means I've not seen all of the Best Picture nominees for 1962. I thought Fanny was okay. It looks really nice, all of the performers give their best, and it has a really nice score. Most importantly though, the two young leads have definite chemistry. The director wanted to call this film Joshua Logan's Fanny until it was explained to him why that wasn't a good idea.

7/10

By www.moviegoods.com, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=16358487

Bye Bye Birdie - (1963)

There are some great songs in Bye Bye Birdie - "One Last Kiss" is a real standout. The movie itself is broadly comedic, with loads of slapstick. It's a fictional narrative based on the hoopla surrounding the conscription of Elvis into the army, except here it's "Conrad Birdie" (Jesse Pearson), who is basically a glammed-up version of Elvis who sounds just like the King of Rock and Roll. I think the humour dates it quite a lot - especially considering this is making fun of the teen idol culture which was new at the time. Did you know that Dick Van Dyke is still alive? (Maybe not if you've stumbled upon this at a later date) He's 98 years-old. I tell you what I liked in this though - all those pastel colours. Did people really dress like that in the 60s? I have no idea.

6/10

By IMP Awards (cropped), Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=3892063

The Rescuers - (1977)

This brought back childhood memories I didn't know I still had. Really amazing that - I mean, those memories have been dormant for so long, but they were all rekindled as I recognized each segment of this film. I had the storybook (with added vinyl record) to help imprint this film into my young brain - and it did the trick. A classic. Imaginative illustration at it's old-time best.

8/10

Last Samuri - 2003

This one just slipped past me growing up. Right in my sweet spot was in high school when it came out. Never got around to it. It was entertaining enough. Cruise was great per usual. I thought they laid Watanabe's and Cruise relationship on pretty damn thick. You could feel the beats of a story like this they were filling in as they go, which is where I think the thickness feel came in. Only reason it semi works is because Watanabe and Cruise are charming. Like I thought the ending was silly and hammed up a bit. Cruise and Watanabe did their best but I laughed honestly.

My favorite part of the movie was actually Cruise's romantic interest. A.) She is one of the most beautiful actresses I've ever seen B.) Their relationship is actually super interesting. I could have done the whole movie with them honestly haha. It might have ruined how much I dug their relationship if they focused the whole movie on it but I really was invested in their relationship. Thought it was the best part of the flick. The very end of the movie I liked it's just the minutes leading up to it is kinda ridiculous to me. Anyways glad it's under my belt. Give it a flimsy 3.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)