Do you like Linkin Park?
30.30%
10 votes
Yes, The Kings of Modern Rock
69.70%
23 votes
No, Linkin who?
33 votes. You may not vote on this poll

The first two albums are god nu metal staples, but I never find myself returning to them. I, as I tend to do, went through their whole discography like I am now with Kaiser Chiefs, but the were gradually getting worse.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
hated this group, but then I was never really a fan of two front guy bands where one raps and another sings, or one screams while the other does something else. Hated 311 too for similar reasons. I still have waking nightmares of 311's "chill!" at the start of "Down." Back to Linkin Park, something about their sound just did not resonate with me either. The distortion on the guitars was just too clean and glassy to me. I was coming out of the Soundgarden, Nirvana, Alice in Chains front, so I had come to really enjoy more broken and thicker distortions maybe? Hendrix too. Linkin Park came off to me as a pop band with a weird foot in the metal stream, exploiting hooks and the visuals of rock/metal/whatever the genre was called during this time.

I only tolerated Korn because our band wanted to cover "Blind." For whatever it's worth, I *really* hated Incubus, too?

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Their first 2 albums will forever be the best ones. It's when they completely changed their sound is when I tuned out.

hated this group, but then I was never really a fan of two front guy bands where one raps and another sings, or one screams while the other does something else. Hated 311 too for similar reasons. I still have waking nightmares of 311's "chill!" at the start of "Down." Back to Linkin Park, something about their sound just did not resonate with me either. The distortion on the guitars was just too clean and glassy to me. I was coming out of the Soundgarden, Nirvana, Alice in Chains front, so I had come to really enjoy more broken and thicker distortions maybe? Hendrix too. Linkin Park came off to me as a pop band with a weird foot in the metal stream, exploiting hooks and the visuals of rock/metal/whatever the genre was called during this time.

I only tolerated Korn because our band wanted to cover "Blind." For whatever it's worth, I *really* hated Incubus, too?

Incubus and 311 were particular hates for me back then.

Linkin Park came off to me as a pop band with a weird foot in the metal stream, exploiting hooks and the visuals of rock/metal/whatever the genre was called during this time.

This sounds great to me.

I love Hendrix. I can not tell whether you are for or against Hendrix.
Judgements will be made based on your answer.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
This sounds great to me.

I love Hendrix. I can not tell whether you are for or against Hendrix.
Judgements will be made based on your answer.
lol. I adored Hendrix in my teens! Still really love his stuff.
I probably watched this clip around 100 times looking for an amp a few years back!

Most bands that were getting radio play at that time were about as bad as popular music had been in decades, but Lincoln Park at least didn't make me nauseous when it came on.

Korn was clearly the best of that garbage. Then maybe Linkin Park. Then "Break Stuff" by Limp Bizkit (and absolutely nothing else, because they might have been the worst popular band of all time, either them or Creed).

Really, such a depressing time for music.
I never got fully into Korn, but I liked some of their songs. "Got the Life" is a favorite of them. Same with Limp Bizkit. Actually, "Break Stuff" is one I tend to go back to often, as is "Rearranged".

But yeah, it's a particular era that came around when I was already in my mid-20s all while the era of CD's was dying, so it's in that weird spot where I never got fully into any of them, never bought a CD of any of them, never looked at them with the nostalgia that I looked at the bands that I listened to when I was more of a kid/teen... so it's a weird spot where I listened to them often back then but that I barely go back to nowadays.

Since crumbs mentioned Creed, I have one weird and maybe funny story about them. It was around that time that I was using Napster/Limewire/Audiogalaxy/etc. to download most of the stuff that I listened to. I was very much into Creed at the time so understandably, I used to download lots of stuff from them. Now, these file-sharing services were often the source of mistaken/misnamed songs, sometimes in purpose and sometimes not. One day, I downloaded what I thought was a Creed song, but it turned out to be "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" from CREEDence Clearwater Revival. At the time, I don't think I had heard the song; at least consciously, but I dug it. Fast forward 20+ years, and I rarely listen to Creed anymore, but I listen to CCR pretty much every week or so.

The late '90s were not a great time for rock, but man, they were for electronica. Underworld, Boards of Canada, Orbital, Daft Punk, Chemical Brothers, etc. were putting out their best material at that time.

waterisforcowards,waterma kesyouweak

Thanks for mentioning Jimi Hendrix
My top 20 bands:

Jimi Hendrix
Led Zeppelin
AC/DC
Linkin Park
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Black Sabbath
Alice in Chains
Nirvana
Poison
Rage Against the Machine

Cream
Heart
ZZ Top
Pantera
System of a Down
War
The Doors
Iron Maiden
The Doobie Brothers
Black Label Society

As for Linkin Park the argument seems to be they are too mainstream, they are too soft, their lyrics are designed for consumption. Couldn't the exact same thing have been said for Nirvana or The Doors? After they followed more aggressive sounding bands

I loved Linkin Park's early albums as well. I was in junior college back then. They were quite popular.
I also loved Creed. Quite an easy music to listen to. I never paid much attention to their lyrics, but only recently I discovered that their songs had a religious slant. Not that it matters.

One modern band that hasn't been mentioned here is System of a Down. I absolutely love them.

And on a sad note, Shifty Shellshock the singer for Crazytown passed away couple days. Butterfly was bit of a guity pleasure.