The MoFo Musical Countdown - Group Watch

→ in
Tools    

Nomination #9

Across the Universe (2007, Julie Taymor)

Deadline to Watch It: June 29

Nomination #9

(will update later)

Across the Universe (2007, Julie Taymor)

Deadline to Watch It: June 29
I saw this once shortly after it came out on dvd. I initially rated it a 7/10. I will give it a rewatch likely tomorrow and see how I feel about it then.

It’s A Classic Rope-A-Dope
It's on one of the list, but not the musical list.
Awesome choice. At least I know I will love the music, although that didn’t help Yellow Submarine much.

Trouble with a capital "T"
Awesome choice. At least I know I will love the music, although that didn’t help Yellow Submarine much.
Yeah, Yellow Submarine was a bit of a tough watch for us squares in the 21st century, wasn't my thing, but I bet those trippin' hippies dug it back in the day

Yeah, Yellow Submarine was a bit of a tough watch for us squares in the 21st century, wasn't my thing, but I bet those trippin' hippies dug it back in the day
That’s funny, but also probably true. Being a permanent square probably hasn’t helped my movie taste that’s for sure. Although I love Lebowski, so who knows how taste works.

I liked Yellow Submarine and rated it
and I'm a square.

Across the Universe is #83 on the female directors list. Siddon picked it for me in a personal rec HoF, and I thought that's a strange choice for me, but I believe it was my favorite film of that HoF. It's a jukebox musical, and I believe that just means it's not original music. I'm probably the only person in the thread who doesn't know for sure. It's helpful if you're a Beatles fan but not necessary. Some of the renditions are awesome and some are just ok. Part of the fun is guessing the next song based on the current action, and some of the characters names come from the songs. Bono from U2 sings one of the songs in a cameo. I'm a sucker for films that are set during that era, and after not being into it for like the first 10 minutes, I loved the rest of it. I could see people being split on this film but I thought it was worth a shot especially seeing that only Allaby from this thread had it crossed off their list.

I may try to watch this one. If cricket likes it, then I feel like there's a better chance that I won't hate it. The runtime is a little off putting and I'm not a Beatles fan, but perhaps it will surprise me.

It won't be tonight though. Tomorrow night or Friday if it happens at all.

I may try to watch this one. If cricket likes it, then I feel like there's a better chance that I won't hate it. The runtime is a little off putting and I'm not a Beatles fan, but perhaps it will surprise me.

It's not one I would think to recommend for you, but at least it's not a classical musical.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

THIS I want to keep an eye out for. Fingers crossed for ya, darlin.

For Across the Universe, I am a Beatles fan, so I was hooked by the trailer. Like cricket remarked, the fun was guessing the next song and the connections of characters and songs. It did a solid justice to the time period and genre. Great musical.

I've seen it, but I'll gladly watch this one again! More Zero Mostel is always a good thing.
Tevye is not played by Zero Mostel in the Fiddler on the Roof movie. I am sure he played it on Broadway at sometime. The most famous Tevyes I remember are Theodore Bikel, who was a big folk music star in the Sixties, playing it on Broadway and the fabulous Israeli actor Topol plays him in the movie. Enjoy!

Across the Universe...It's a jukebox musical, and I believe that just means it's not original music. I'm probably the only person in the thread who doesn't know for sure....
I didn't know what the term jukebox musical meant until I seen a couple of MoFos using it recently. I even looked up again today after I seen your choice.

Tevye is not played by Zero Mostel in the Fiddler on the Roof movie. I am sure he played it on Broadway at sometime. The most famous Tevyes I remember are Theodore Bikel, who was a big folk music star in the Sixties, playing it on Broadway and the fabulous Israeli actor Topol plays him in the movie. Enjoy!

Oops! You're right! Holy Mandela Effect! I could've sworn he was in the movie, but I must be confusing it with footage of him playing Tevyes on Broadway. He was Tevyes in the original run of the play.

Across The Universe: As expected I really loved the music in this. I don’t know if I could call myself a Beatles fan, but I love most of their music whenever I do listen. Hey Jude and Strawberry Fields are among my favorite songs ever, and they are very well represented here. With two of the more memorable sequences.

The bad is I really didn’t enjoy the characterizations or aesthetic here at all. I am always reluctant to bash a movie when I think the style is exactly what is intended but I just don’t jive with it. That’s definitely the case here. There isn’t any incompetence or missteps going on. I just think the vision is really dull.

It has its moments, because of the music I never really found myself bored. I just think I could have thrown on a Beatles greatest hits album and cleaned the house instead.

Across The Universe: As expected I really loved the music in this. I don’t know if I could call myself a Beatles fan, but I love most of their music whenever I do listen. Hey Jude and Strawberry Fields are among my favorite songs ever, and they are very well represented here. With two of the more memorable sequences.

The bad is I really didn’t enjoy the characterizations or aesthetic here at all. I am always reluctant to bash a movie when I think the style is exactly what is intended but I just don’t jive with it. That’s definitely the case here. There isn’t any incompetence or missteps going on. I just think the vision is really dull.

It has its moments, because of the music I never really found myself bored. I just think I could have thrown on a Beatles greatest hits album and cleaned the house instead.

You really ought to get to it because it's f*****g filthy!

Across the Universe (2007)

I totally dug that strawberry art! Visually that was one of my favorite scenes. If I ever get back into serious photography I'm going to make my own strawberry art and photograph it and enter into a photo competition.

I was impressed by two of the most amazing musical numbers in the movie, Come Together with the great Joe Cocker & Martin Luther singing one of my favorite Beatles songs...I loved the urban setting and pacing. This one gave me goose bumps, it was that good. The other awesome number was the visually creative I Want You. Loved how that was tied into Max's story line of being drafted. The choices for that number were surrealistically tense and conveyed the horror of being drafted against one's will to fight and possible die in a war no one wanted.

I always liked the Beatles songs and Bono nailed I Am The Walrus, damn good cover. But with 33 songs in a 2hour+ movie it was just too many and the songs got in the way. So many of the songs were staged poorly with the actors acting out the lyrics and too me that felt to on the nose, missing the creativity mark. I really didn't like the actors singing directly into the camera lens over and over. That reminded me of the early days of MTV. I had a hard time staying focused and I believe that's because there wasn't enough story with all those songs. It felt like a really great movie idea that needed sharper focus on what it was doing.