Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Seberg (2019, Benedict Andrews) - B-

So it took me a bit to get around to watching this. As is no secret, I'm a huge unabashed Jean Seberg fan and also from her hometown (Marshalltown, Iowa) where, of course, she's something of a legend. Despite my politics and the real life Seberg's being very opposite, I find her story fascinating and deeply sympathetic and read her biography years ago which, like the film, details her life and involved in the Black National movement and Black Panthers in the late 1960's and the subsequent FBI wiring tapping, harassment, and smear campaign. Well, seeing how this film got negative reviews, I was a bit reluctant to watch it, but gave it a try on the strength of Kristen Stewart's ability as an actress.

And for the record, Stewart does a great job. Just a wonderful performance... subdued when called for, but really captures many of the mannerisms and some of Seberg's ticks and charms. She's done her homework definitely. The physicality of her performance is great and the only minor nitpick would be with some of the vocal delivery which comes off as a bit modern and 2000s. If you've ever seen a Seberg film or listened to any of her interviews... she has a very unique and distinctive voice... it has the flatness of being raised the Midwest, but there's a certain eloquence and precision to it (as though each word has deliberate meaning and effect and each syllable carefully articulated), with a hint of charm, no doubt from the French she picked up. Again, that's nitpicking.

The critics are wrong about how awful this movie is because, while there is room for criticism, which I'll get into in a minute, Seberg does one thing exactly right and it's that it is tightly focused and avoids so many of the biopic traps wherein a writer and filmmaker believes that a person's entire life can be condensed into a two or three hour film. Even the biopic obsession of last summer, Oppenheimer, suffered largely from trying to cover too many time periods and too many episodes of the subject's life. Great biopics like Lawrence of Arabia focus on singular episodes or many a handful of episodes, but string them together into a coherent narrative. Unfortunately most biopics feel like a game of "whack a mole" in trying to include a person's "greatest hits" of life. Where Seberg really shines is that it only covers the time period in her life from 1967-1970 and not only that but it largely focuses and maintains the "thesis statement" if you will of focusing on her being the target of FBI surveillance.

Where the film does falter, is really two fold. It fails to really capture the essence of why she would have been sympathetic to the Black National movement and doesn't really show how she either aligned politically or how they had a deep sense of trying to find meaning in life beyond her film career and her deep sense of wanting to help the underdog and do something that would outlive her and exist beyond her own self. How this aspect of her life played at odds with her attempt at a film career beyond just being big in France wasn't really explored. It does have a few scenes that allude to Paint Your Wagon and Airport, but nothing much. The actor who plays her often bewildered agent, does a great job, but is underused. The other big weakness in the film, and it's a HUGE weakness are the FBI agent portrayals by Vince Vaughn and Colm Meaney who are written and played almost as caricatures and are just one dimensional. It's too bad too because normally they are great, but here they just don't have good material. Jack O'Connell (an actor I'm unfamiliar with), however does a spectacular job of showing the subtle nuisances of a person torn between doing their job (in this case spying on Seberg) and the moral conflict that arises when they know what they are doing is unethical. There's also some interesting subtext too here of some Laura vibes going on simultaneous to him growing a conscience.

The music choices were solid too and very much of the period and the smooth jazz based soundtrack was the right choice. Good cinematography as the film looks good and there are several shots in this film that are just down right great and framed beautifully.

This film isn't nearly as bad as what the critics claim, BUT the script is weak, but sprinkled with moments of greatnes, but at times it feels rushed because it doesn't really explore who Seberg was nor does it seem to take the FBI spying in a serious fashion, but more like a made-for-TV movie and half the time I was thinking the Peter Gunn theme would play whenever Vince Vaughn's character shows up. There's a good film in here buried someplace, and it feels like it enjoyed a foundation... again covering her life from 1967-1970 is a good way to go, BUT within those confines it's a bit of a mess and could have been more. It is definitely worth seeing for fans of Seberg or Kristen Stewart... an actress who is quickly becoming one of my favorites of the last decade or so.

Romeo + Juliet (1996, Baz Luhrmann) - A+

This is a great Shakespeare adaptation... one of two that came out in 1996, with the other being the even more superior Hamlet. Say what you will, but the stylistic excesses work well with the tone and themes of the play being the frantic and emotion and hormone filled drives and impulsivity of youth and the mad, almost crippling effects of not having the tools or wisdom to moderate those turbulent imbalances, along with the arrogance and lack of compassion for adults, who SHOULD know better, to write stuff off as non-consequential on one extreme or to be a partner in crime on the other. This is a beautiful film, wonderful shot and while the editing is often breakneck, what is often neglected and overlooked is how there are multiple shots in the film that stay on the image to let its power set in for probably at least 30 seconds or more. The fish tank scene, Mercutio's body lying dead on the beach, and Romeo's face after the fury subsides leaving the aftermath of his murder of Tybalt. The pop music works wonderful and it's a beautiful collage of "in that moment in time" juxtaposed to a piece of literature that is eternal. Romeo and Juliet isn't one of my favorite plays, but this film is definite one of my absolute favorite adaptations.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The Return of the Prodigal Son - 7.5/10
It's interesting... I use so many different sources to find movies. This site is one of a dozen. Yet, I never even heard of this movie until I looked up a movie I liked (I was searching yesterday) and then found the IMDB lists it's included in and stumbled upon this one. I'm sure the movie description got me interested.

For all my critique of this movie, part of me says, "Just be the way you are" (just don't be something else). Maybe I'm rating this higher than I normally would, but the handful of movies I tried before gave me no interest in proceeding past the 5-10 minute mark.. By the time the movie is over, my little questions about chronology didn't matter as much. I didn't like the main character at all, but I didn't really like anyone. At one point, the wife tells the psychiatrist, "I love him more than myself" and I immediately thought, "I don't believe you" and a second later, she also tells the psychiatrist, "You don't believe me?". The only person I did believe was the psychiatrist's wife, because it's very basic and obvious.

Unfortunately for me, I had been interrupted so many times, it's taken me almost 24 hours to finish this relatively short movie, since I like to rewind a bit to catch up.

Devil Girl from Mars - 1954 British scifi potboiler. I managed to find a B&W version plus the accents made it all the more palatable. Actually they were ostensibly Scottish accents since the film takes place at the remote Bonnie Charlie Inn deep in the moors of the Scottish Highlands. I counted the characters and there were nine people total at the inn when a strange craft passes overhead and lands nearby. It's white hot at first but it eventually cools off enough for a door to open, a ramp to lower and a figure emerge. It's a woman and she's sporting that 50's dominatrix-from-outer-space look with a shiny, skin tight vinyl outfit, boots, a cape and a Magneto helmet. She's a no nonsense type who introduces herself as Nyah and explains to the assorted guests and staff that she is here on earth because all the males on Mars are dying off and the birth rates are dropping precipitously. She was on her way to London to harvest some virile specimens when her ship was forced to land for repairs. Death by snu-snu!

The sexually potent pickings are slim at the Inn with escaped convict Robert Justin/Albert Simpson (Peter Reynolds) and journalist Michael Carter (Hugh McDermott) as the only viable candidates. The rest are past their prime like astrophysicist Professor Arnold Hennessey (Joseph Tomelty) and Mr. Jamieson (John Laurie) the owner of the Inn. Or they're physically challenged like David the handyman (James Edmonds) or too young like the Jamieson's nephew Tommy (Anthony Richmond). There's also barmaid Doris (Adrienne Corri) who's carrying a torch for the convicted murder/escaped convict Robert/Albert and fashion model Ellen Prestwick (Hazel Court). Rounding out the cast is Sophie Stewart as Mrs. Jamieson.

Patricia Laffan, the actress playing Nyah, the Devil Girl from Mars basically has one setting, which is haughty. She spends the majority of the film moseying back and forth between her ship and the inn presumably to check on the progress that her robotic companion Chani is making on the repairs. He's a big, slow moving refrigerator with two spindly arms. Nyah is also big on dramatic entrances and taunting, in that order.

Even though the third act bogs down in needless and labored ardor this still wasn't all that bad. Like I mentioned before, the accents help. They make even dumb stuff sound halfway intelligent. For all it's flamboyance and kitschy underpinnings it's a fun watch. Nyah is only guilty of looking for love in all the wrong places.

65/100

1st Rewatch...The winner of five Oscars, including Best Picture, Norman Jewison directed this unflinching story of murder and redneck justice where a bigoted sheriff (Rod Steiger) must learn how to work with a black police detective from Philadelphia (Sidney Poitier) in order to solve a murder. The racial tension that crackles underneath this story stems from the sheriff's learning how to work with the last man in the world he would want to work with as it becomes clear the man knows exactly what he's doing. Rod Steiger won the Best Actor Oscar for his performance bringing this very complex Sheriff Gillespie to the screen and Poitier matches him note for note as Virgil Tibbs. This was one of three Oscar-worthy performances gave that year. The other two were in Guess Who's Coming to Dinner and To Sir with Love and the academy didn't recognize him for any of them. Mention should also be made of Warren Oates as the bigoted deputy and Lee Grant as the widow of the victim. A spectacular drama that hasn't aged a bit. I still want to cover my eyes during that scene where those guys corner Tibbs in that barn with chains and pipes.

Umpteenth Rewatch...Robbed of the Oscar for Best Picture of 1976, this film is the masterwork of both director Sidney Lumet and screenwriter Paddy Chayefsky. This scorching black comedy follows the adventures at a fictional low rated television station called UBS where we meet the long standing news anchor Howard Beale (Peter Finch) who has just been fired and feeling he has nothing else in his life but his job, goes on the air the next night and announces he's going to kill himself on the air next Tuesday. Instead of being declared insane, Beale becomes a media sensation and his news program is reformatted into a platform for him as a "mad prophet of the airwaves", which brings instant success to the network, but it begins to affect the bottom line of the company that has just purchased UBS and they aren't having that. I don't how it is, but this film just gets more and more timely as it ages, nothing feels dated or out of place or laughable. Chayefsky's ruthless screenplay won him an Oscar and on my list of my favorite screenplays, this one clocked in at #1. Peter Finch won the first posthumous Oscar for Best Actor for his flashy turn as Howard Beale, though personally I would have given the award to co-star William Holden in a beautifully understated performance as Max Showalter, Howard's boss and BFF. Faye Dunaway won the Best Actress for her ruthless Diana Christensen, though I think her award was a consolation prize for losing the previous year for Chinatown. Beatrice Straight won the Best Supporting Actress Oscar for one five-minute scene and she's very good, but was she better than Jodie Foster in Taxi Driver? This is one of three films in Hollywood history that won three of the four acting Oscars (the other two were A Streetcar named Desire and Everything Everywhere all at Once. I think if Robert Duvall's Frank Hackett had been nominated for supporting actor instead of Ned Beatty's Jensen, this film would have been the first to win all four acting Oscars.

2nd Rewatch...Another luminous performance by Soairse Ronan that earned her another Best Actress nomination is at the heart of this edgy and imaginative coming of age drama written and directed by Greta Gerwig (Barbie). Ronan plays the title character, whose real name is Christine, who is a high school senior at a fancy parochial school in Sacramento, who is looking forward to going to college as far away from Sacramento as possible, thanks primarily to her often toxic relationship with her mother (Laurie Metcalf). Ronan effortlessly lifts the narrative here above the normal teen drama, with effective assistance from Gerwig and Metcalf, who was robbed of the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress for her work as Lady Bird's mother. Also loved Lucas Hedges and Timothee Chalamet as the two guys in Lady Bird's life. Mention should also be made of Beanie Feldstein as Lady Bird's BFF and Tracy Letts as her dad.

Fly Me to the Moon

Fly Me to the Moon might be Greg Berlanti's best film yet.

A large part of the credit goes to the great cast, toplined by Scarlett Johansson (in one of her bubbliest and most delightful performances of recent years) and Channing Tatum as her co-worker/love interest.

The supporting cast is great also - Jim Rash is a hoot as Scarlett's go-to director; Woody Harrelson has a lot of fun as a marvelously sinister government agent, and Ray Romano provides strong support as Tatum's wingman.

But this is above all, a smartly-written romantic comedy and the credit there goes entirely to Rose Gilroy (Rene Russo's daughter). She creates vivid characters and gives ScarJo one of the best parts of her career (and a chance to have a lot of fun with southern accents!)

And that black cat is adorable.

Horizon: An American Saga – Chapter 1

2024 might come to be known as the year that TV miniseries invaded theaters.

Had this Kevin Costner project debuted on TV, it might have been seen as a mediocre and not particularly original mini-series with some great locations and a decent cast.

It remains to be seen how many people will be willing to fork out however many tickets it will take to watch the whole thing on the big screen (the opening weekend numbers suggest there won't be that many).

The first chapter of a promised 4-movie series, Chapter 1 does little more than introduce the main characters and begin telling their story, unfolding across the American frontier circa 1859.

A good cast is criminally wasted, with Abby Lee managing to make a better impression than most of her co-stars as the Old West working girl with the heart of gold who becomes the object of Costner's interest.

Sienna Miller, Sam Worthington, Michael Rooker, Jeff Fahey, Danny Huston, Luke Wilson, Giovanni Ribisi, Jena Malone and several others do the best they can with characters who are all badly underwritten.

Most disappointingly, the movie has been shot "flat" despite the obvious opportunity provided by all the far-flung locations on display, which would seem to have been ideal for a very widescreen movie. Obviously, this has been filmed with TV in mind, so there's that.

It is really a shame, since Costner's 1990 directorial debut was really one of the most cinematic westerns of that decade. Sadly, it seems that 34 years later, he still has a whole lot of Western stories to tell, just not in a particularly interesting way.

Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F (2024) On Netflix now. Eddie Murphy does a good job and the rest of the cast, old and new, are all fine too. There is some decent action and a couple chuckles and the film is well paced. It's not as good as the original, but it is still reasonably entertaining. Worth checking out.

One from the Heart -

This notorious flop is the movie equivalent of Orlando, Florida's T-Rex Cafe. Everything in it that is not the visuals, sets, music and dancing, like the food and drinks at that theme park of a restaurant, might as well be afterthoughts. Coppola's recreation of Las Vegas is on par with Tati's Paris in Playtime for how it manages to be realistic and fantastical at the same time, not to mention for how complete it seems. Also, with its neon glow and glass tiles, the look and feel are pleasantly of their time. As for the draw of movies like this, the songs, they're atmospheric and mournful in the best ways, and with lyrics like "how long you been combing your hair with a wrench," pure Tom Waits. I just wish I could be as complementary towards the story and characters. While I do not expect complexity in a musical story, this one's is perhaps too simple, i.e., a template in a "how to write a romance novel" instruction booklet. I also found myself straining to truly care about our lovelorn heroes despite how well this legendary cast plays them. Frederic Forrest's Hank in particular may be a rube on purpose, but when you cringe at his behavior when you're supposed to and when you're not supposed to, there's a problem.

In all fairness, the story is not totally without food for thought. If anything, it reminds you that love and reason rarely mix. It's just too bad that getting enjoyment like that out of it takes much more effort - and not the good kind - than it does to enjoy everything else. It's still worth seeing, especially if you're fascinated with the career of one of the greatest directors of all time, and quite frankly, how could you not be? It also proves that not every flop is totally devoid of merit.

One from the Heart -
Which version did you watch - theatrical cut or the "reprise" edition that came out this year? (The re-editing doesn't really change a lot).

Despicable Me 4 (Dolby Cinema)

The Despicable Me franchise seems to have hit rock bottom creatively with what is effectively its 6th entry (because two of them were prequels, this one is called 4).

The cheap-looking animation that we've come to expect from Illumination stands in particularly stark contrast next to the finely textured and exquisitely rendered animation from Pixar (and the difference is even more striking if you happen to have watched both movies in Dolby Cinema).

But, more than anything, there's a feeling of been there, done that that hangs over the entire running time of just about 90 minutes: another disposable antagonist for Gru, another baby to keep the family growing, and more Minions, of course.

The main antagonist in this latest installment is - I kid you not - a human cockroach voiced with a faux-French accent by Will Ferrell; other new supporting roles include Sofía Vergara, Stephen Colbert, Chloe Fineman and Joey King.

If you've got kids who are just the right age, they will no doubt enjoy this - and you may just find yourself staring blankly at the screen and waiting for the final credits.

I forgot the opening line.

By from www.twitchfilm.net, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=6160648

The Great Yokai War - (2005)

I can see fans of whatever this is enjoying the insane number of weird monsters, heroes, creatures and living oddities that come out of the woodwork in The Great Yokai War - not being a regular consumer of yōkai, it was all new to me. Takashi Miike's film has so many, you can see that some of the more peripheral ones have been given costumes and make-up effects that are a little cheap, but overall you can't complain because there's weirdness up the yazoo here - if that's what you're looking for and it's still not enough, there must be something wrong with you. The story is your usual fantasy adventure involving a young boy, Tadashi (Ryunosuke Kamiki) being anointed "Kirin Rider" at a local festival and heading into the mountains to battle some kind of Goblin King (not the Bowie kind) for a magic sword that will help him fight the latest evil megalomaniac bent on destroying the world - Yasunori Katō (Etsushi Toyokawa). He's the kind of kid picked on by his peers because he's pale, sickly looking, clumsy and a coward - but once he gets over his aversion to duck-faced turtle people and monsters in general he's a knight in shining armor. I thought this was a bit of fun, but it's not the kind of thing I can call myself a fan of.

6/10

Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=9764984

The Changeling - (1980)

Here's a ghost story that has at it's core an interesting mystery to be solved, and plenty of well thought-out drama to back it up. Also, George C. Scott gives a really terrific performance to help cement this as an excellent supernatural horror movie. Full review here, in my watchlist thread.

8/10

Latest Review : Aftersun (2022)

Boyz n The Hood - 1991

Never got around to this one. I really dug it. I had the complete opposite upbringing of the characters in the film yet I could relate with them a lot. I got a bit emotional at the end even though I sort of knew where it was heading. I felt like I knew a lot of the film peripherally through pop culture and spoof movies. I think everyone knows "You want to see a dead body?" Amazing how many black actors went on to big careers from this movie. It never got preachy like a lot of black films or movies about minorities can get now a days minus one scene. That felt weird and out of place in the movie. I can forgive it because the rest of it was genuine and engrossing. If you've seen the movie you might know the scene I am referring too. I've seen Ice Cube's Friday a bunch. This movie felt like the serious drama prequel to Friday and Friday was it's comedy brother. Really glad I watched it.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

MAXXXINE

There is a powerful and compelling reason to enjoy MAXXXINE - and it has nothing to do with its storyline, which is trite, clichéd and unconvincing.
The main reason to enjoy this movie is that it's obviously been made by someone who is madly in love with the filmmaking process itself.
Another reason, of course, is the amazing cast - Mia Goth, Elizabeth Debicki, Michelle Monaghan, Kevin Bacon, Bobby Cannavale, Giancarlo Esposito, Halsey and Lili Collins.
But, really, the main attraction here has to be the love for filmmaking - and especially the kind of filmmaking that took place in the 80s, before the age of digital effects, where a considerable number of effects (especially for horror movies) had to be accomplished practically.
And also, there are any number of scenes taking place in those amazing backlots that I've walked around in; as well as a wonderful (if unlikely) scene involving one of the most iconic outdoor sets in the Universal backlot (the Master would have been amused).
It goes without saying you should revisit X and Pearl before watching the conclusion to this wonderfully loopy - and somewhat uneven - trilogy.

Space Cadet (2024) Watched on Prime. Emma Roberts is enjoyable in this lighthearted and silly comedy. It's predictable and the storyline is ridiculous, but it is fun and entertaining.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
La Passion de Dodin Bouffant [The Taste of Things] (2023)

Starring: Juliette Binoche and Benoît Magimel

Nice French movie with a big "F". Kind of a self-propaganda but anyway it is tolerable. Absolute beautiful cinematography, a real art. If you are into the photography, this is for you. Romantic hard period drama.
This film is kind of a version of Phantom Thread (2017) but themed in the high-end of Cuisine maniacs instead of fashion design.

80/100

Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F (2024) On Netflix now. Eddie Murphy does a good job and the rest of the cast, old and new, are all fine too. There is some decent action and a couple chuckles and the film is well paced. It's not as good as the original, but it is still reasonably entertaining. Worth checking out.
I was wondering, I never saw Beverly Hills Cop 2 or 3, will that hinder my enjoyment of this film?