2024 Summer Olympics

Tools    

So, are you planning on watching anything?

NBC Universal must be desperate to attract viewers, the opening ceremony will start with a commercial-free hour.

Six Team USA advertising partners are teaming to make the first hour of NBCUniversal‘s coverage of Friday’s Opening Ceremony of the Paris Olympics commercial-free.

The spectacle kicking off the first full-on Summer Games since 2016 is due to be a splashy affair involving a light show at the Eiffel Tower and boats carrying athletes down a four-mile stretch of the Seine.

NBCUniversal’s live coverage will air Friday on NBC and flagship streaming service Peacock. It will include a commercial-free hour beginning at 1:30 p.m. ET, sponsored by six Team USA partners: The Coca-Cola Company, Delta, Lilly, Toyota Motor Corporation, Visa, and Xfinity. (In the Olympic ad and sponsorship world, Team USA enlists sponsors, which in turn then have spots and presence onsite, on air and online.)

Trouble with a capital "T"
I use to love watching the Olympics, winter games more than summer but I'm too busy watching movies and I don't have a way to watch the Olympics anyway.

I use to love watching the Olympics, winter games more than summer but I'm too busy watching movies and I don't have a way to watch the Olympics anyway.
You deserve a gold medal for your honesty!

Yes and looking forwards to it. Basketball in particular. Also love France so that's a bonus, hope they do a good opening ceremony(especially all the athletes going along the seine in boats). Last Olympics opening was disappointing from what I can remember of it.

Also interested in seeing how the break dancing works out. First time at the olympics.

Basketball, Archery, Skateboarding, Wrestling, Weight Lifting, Surfing are the ones I usually try to watch.

This year is the first time (IIRC) that the opening ceremonies will be shown in IMAX theaters around the world.

Let's hope everything goes well.

I feel like this one is such a shambles already. The whole running out of chicken and eggs business (huh?), the so-called rail sabotage. What the hell. Going well for them, isn’t it.

This drag queen show recreation of the Last Supper was actually a part of the opening ceremony.

I thought the opening ceremony was great. It actually had a personality and was delightfully weird. I've never actually wanted to watch one all the way through, but this one kept me hooked. The fashion show with the young person with the blinged out prosthetic legs, the robot horse riding down the river, the range of musical genres on display . . . the sequence of all the athletes falling in behind the horse was beautifully staged.

Most opening ceremonies feel like Marvel movies to me: technically impressive in the sense of scale, but I don't emotionally click with them. This one felt more like Everything Everywhere All at Once, just taking a ton of swings, not all of them connect, but at least it's something interesting and different. The transition from the decapitated Marie Antoinette to the heavy metal performance was dope.

And I thought that they way that they made space for "political" moments was respectful without letting it take over, like the Algerian team tossing the flowers into the water or the Palestinian team with the embroidered shirts and making the peace signs.

I'd rather watch something that sometimes makes me scratch my head and feel emotions than watch something that makes me go, "Wow, that's a lot of drummers/dancers!".

If the event is anything like the opening ceremony, it isn't worth getting into the horses**t to see what the horse ate.
Oh my god, I need to write that one down. What a brilliant expression.

If the event is anything like the opening ceremony, it isn't worth getting into the horses**t to see what the horse ate.
I'm just going to watch Ru Paul's Drag Race instead of the Olympics - the costumes are better and the girls are prettier!

I forgot the opening line.
Best first day for Australia in Olympic history - and Australia at the top of the Olympic Medal Tally woo!!

Latest Review : Double Down (2005)

Best first day for Australia in Olympic history - and Australia at the top of the Olympic Medal Tally woo!!

All those swimming lessons are really paying off!

But can the Aussies break dance?! Or (checks notes) . . . Kayak Cross?

I forgot the opening line.
All those swimming lessons are really paying off!

But can the Aussies break dance?! Or (checks notes) . . . Kayak Cross?
As you can see below, our break dancing needs a little work :

But just you wait until Brisbane 2032! Break dancing home ground advantage!

The transition from the decapitated Marie Antoinette to the heavy metal performance was dope.
You mean Gojira's performance?

I was watching the opening ceremony and soon switched off, I haven't watched any of it since.

Since I'm a sports guy, Ill be watching most of it. I wont watch the breakdancing thing though, its criminal they took away baseball and softball again but added that in.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Very nice idea for opening ceremony, poorly executed. Obviously the organisers were completely unprepared for plan B - bad weather conditions. That's why, most of the things went greyish and miserable. As for the themes, the rotting civilisation reached its lowest level since the terrorists and orcs took control even of this event and celebrated the era of the dark side. The still free in mind audience was really shocked. I think, at least one third of the countries should withdraw their teams after such an offensive attitude against the last survived cultural states.
Actually no surprise, the Olympics brand was captured since the 80's and serves the political cartels.