Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Eastern Promises (2007)

For me this is David Cronenberg outside his usual sphere but he depicts an interesting story. It's essentially about the Russian mafia in London and the side effects of (rich) mobsters sex trafficking. The leads, Viggo Mortensen, Naomi Watts and Vincent Cassel all handle themselves very well. But the screenplay is a bit stilted in my view and somewhat predictable. A more flowing narrative would have enhanced the story. The editing is a bit all over the place and jumps from one situation to an entirely different one repeatedly. Nevertheless, an interesting watch.

I’ve seen a number of reviews that make the same criticisms that you do concerning The Bikeriders. I thought may be the reason for the lack of plot might be because it keeps too close to the source material.
I think you might be right there about the source material but, for me, it was grating. True or not. As I said, I'm probably not the target audience but on face value I thought it was a very average film.

Eastern Promises (2007)

For me this is David Cronenberg outside his usual sphere but he depicts an interesting story. It's essentially about the Russian mafia in London and the side effects of (rich) mobsters sex trafficking. The leads, Viggo Mortensen, Naomi Watts and Vincent Cassel all handle themselves very well. But the screenplay is a bit stilted in my view and somewhat predictable. A more flowing narrative would have enhanced the story. The editing is a bit all over the place and jumps from one situation to an entirely different one repeatedly. Nevertheless, an interesting watch.
For me, the performances really carry this movie, even if certain plot elements are predictable. Not that you need to rush into watching it again, but I really appreciated it the second time around.

A Fish in the Bathtub

Despite a pretty good cast, this one comes across as a bad Woody Allen imitation about a somewhat dysfunctional NYC family dealing with silly misunderstandings and frustrations.

Whatever you think about Allen in hindsight, at least most of his movies were genuinely funny (when they were trying to be, at least) and he hired some pretty good cinematographers.

This one isn't particularly funny - or insightful. Most of the scenes amount to little more than movie clichés - and it quickly grows tiresome.

Most unfortunately, the movie doesn't even know how to make the most of its Brooklyn and Queens locations.

Barbie (2023)

No change in rating since the last time I saw it. Local park was playing this as an outdoor movie, so my daughter and I went to watch it. Some jokes definitely don't land in my eyes, but it's an overall great movie.

Robot Monster (1953, Phil Tucker) ‐
COME ON THE KINBAKU AND RAPE IN THE CAVE SCENES ARE LEGENDARY

COME ON THE KINBAKU AND RAPE IN THE CAVE SCENES ARE LEGENDARY
I was less impressed with the scene itself so much as the fact that
WARNING: spoilers below
it was occurring in the young boy's head. I don't know if I'd call it legendary, but the more I think about it, the creepier it gets.

Poker Face - (Russell Crowe, 2022)

Oh Mr. Crowe, you made me believe the poker game was actually relevant to the story. Silly me. 4/10

A Fairy Tale After All (2022) Watched on Tubi. This has some flaws, but also some charm. I liked the puppets and the singing was nice. The costumes were pretty good. The biggest issue for me was that the lead actress felt miscast. She was clearly too old for the role and they should have cast someone younger. The story is alright, even though it is fairly formulaic and derivative. I did like the use of black and white and animation in some scenes. This is a bit of a mess, but I have seen worse. There are enough enjoyable elements here (especially the puppets) to overlook the flaws. Worth a look.

Pumpkin Spiced Musical (2022) Watched on Tubi. A fun musical comedy about a struggling ad agency that comes up with the idea to market a pumpkin spice scented bra. This was laugh out loud funny. I enjoyed the performances and the songs. Recommended if you like musical comedies, pumpkin spice, and bras.

The Wolverine
(2013)
3.5/5

Oh I had to watch this. Not just because of Hugh Jackman but I don't miss a chance when he and Hiroyuki Sanada are in a film together.

The Wolverine
(2013)
3.5/5

Oh I had to watch this. Not just because of Hugh Jackman but I don't miss a chance when he and Hiroyuki Sanada are in a film together.

Haven't seen this but now I must because I am a recent convert to the works of Hiroyuki Sanada. Been watching some of his old films, some are kind of wild. 😅 I'm enjoying the journey so far.

Haven't seen this but now I must because I am a recent convert to the works of Hiroyuki Sanada. Been watching some of his old films, some are kind of wild. 😅 I'm enjoying the journey so far.
I'm trying to log in here on my firestick because someone was nice enough to find me one of his first films. I have seen a lot of his work over the years.

I was less impressed with the scene itself so much as the fact that
WARNING: spoilers below
it was occurring in the young boy's head. I don't know if I'd call it legendary, but the more I think about it, the creepier it gets.
Kinky and crazy which makes it better

I'm trying to log in here on my firestick because someone was nice enough to find me one of his first films. I have seen a lot of his work over the years.

Which one? Was it perhaps Shogun's Ninja or Shogun's Assassin?

Which one? Was it perhaps Shogun's Ninja or Shogun's Assassin?
No I believe this is older and a hard to find film. It's from 2002.

Oh I have that one if it's Twilight Samurai. I liked that one a lot.
Yamada after all