Longlegs (2024)

→ in
Tools    

Should I spend $25 for this movie ?

This is how I mostly watch movies now, I buy them. Sometimes I come across movies so reprehensible I don't even finish them and delete them altogether from my account on Amazon Prime. So yeah, I gotta be better with my money, but I digress.
Is this movie as good as everyone says?
Is it a horror movie head and shoulders above the rest the past few years?

No, I don't think it is worth buying for $25. I would say wait for the price to go down. It might be worth buying for $10. It's good, but not great. My review:

I liked Nicolas Cage's performance here, but felt he was underused. I wanted more Cage! Maika Monroe felt a little too reserved and almost wooden at times, but I think that was intentional for the character. I didn't find it scary, but it is creepy and atmospheric and I was engaged to see where they were going with it. The story didn't completely work for me, as there are things that were not explained and didn't really make sense. The actions of various characters stretched believability in some instances. There are some entertaining elements to the film, but for me it doesn't make my list of the best films of the year. 7/10 is my rating.

I wouldn't pay more than $5 for it, honestly.

The hype for the movie is something I will definitely not understand. It's a decent enough thriller, but Cage is way over the top and deserves a Razzie for what he does here (and I'm a huge Cage fan).

The marketing for this film was brilliant. One of the most hyped of the genre this year because of it.

But I can’t say it lived up to that hype. Anyway, judging on just its own merits, it’s a decent atmospheric and moody piece, but it doesn’t really do enough for me.

Also, it suffers from the classic horror movie problem of explaining the mystery in a way that comes off as unsatisfying. At least to me. I liked it much more until it took the turn it took…

But Perkins has a good visual eye and understands mood and feel. So I will look out for whatever else he does for sure.

A system of cells interlinked
I wouldn't pay more than $5 for it, honestly.

The hype for the movie is something I will definitely not understand. It's a decent enough thriller, but Cage is way over the top and deserves a Razzie for what he does here (and I'm a huge Cage fan).
How over the top would you say he is, on a scale that rates his Mandy performance at a 9/10 over the top level and Color Out of Space at a 7.5/10 over the top...

How over the top would you say he is, on a scale that rates his Mandy performance at a 9/10 over the top level and Color Out of Space at a 7.5/10 over the top...

As always Cage is an acquired taste. At least when he does far out stuff.

I will say occasionally he is very creepy and does this more understated unhinged eeriness that works really well. But when he goes full Cage I had a harder time adapting haha.

On a few very short occasions I almost got “not the bees!” vibes

“My eyes! My eyes!” - Nic Cage (and MovieGal probably)
Nope.

I really don't like Nic Cage.

I only like Valley Girl, Mandy ( because of Linus Roche) and he was a decent Ghostrider.

Nope.

I really don't like Nic Cage.

I only like Valley Girl, Mandy ( because of Linus Roche) and he was a decent Ghostrider.
Can’t wait for Face/Off 2 where Nic Cage and MovieGal switch faces!