The deadline for the Top Musicals list is TOMORROW! Submit your ballot now, or read about it here

Folk Horror

Tools    

I thought we needed a Folk Horror thread. It's my favorite sub-genre of Horror. One of my favorite films is Robin Hardy's The Wicker Man.

I have seen several in my lifetime. To me, it's more a lifestyle than just Horror.

Wikipedia describes it as

a subgenre of horror film that uses elements of folklore to invoke fear and foreboding,,
include a rural setting, isolation, and themes of superstition, folk religion, paganism, sacrifice and the dark aspects of nature. Although related to supernatural horror film, it usually focuses on the beliefs and actions of people rather than the supernatural, and often deals with naïve outsiders coming up against these.

My favorites include

The Wicker Man (1973)
Midsommar (2019)
Men (2022)
Apostle (2018)
The VVitch (2015)
Lamb (2021)
Thale (2012)
Lord of Misrule (2023)
And many more

I would like to hear from fellow members and maybe find a new favorite.

I don't often watch folk horror because their endings often deal with cults getting their way at the end, but I love the aesthetic. Also, after Hereditary, I haven't bothered with much Ari Aster.

I don't often watch folk horror because their endings often deal with cults getting their way at the end, but I love the aesthetic. Also, after Hereditary, I haven't bothered with much Ari Aster.
Midsommar was well done. I enjoyed both films.

Midsommar was well done. I enjoyed both films.

I'm positive it's a good movie, but it's rare that I can force myself into a movie when I already heard it has a sad ending. Put that together with the cult theme from the trailer, it was pretty obvious. To me, a cult is hardly any different that a bunch of stuffy teachers like the type in Dead Poets Society.

I have seen

Ritual (2017)
Kill List (2011)
Antlers (2021)
In The Evrth (2021)
In The Tall Grass (2019)
Draug (2018)
November (2017, love it!)
The Wailing (2016)
Jug Face (2013)
Gretel and Hansel (2020, love it!)
Haxan (1922, love it!)
The Old Ways (2020)
Sauna (2008, love it!)
Sennentuntsche (2010, Love it!) , so glad my phone remembered that title!
The Wicker Tree (2011, sequel to The Wicker Man)
Witchfinder General (1968)
Alucarda (1977, love it!)
Black Death (2010)
The Blood of Satan's Claw (1971)
The Dark Secret of Harvest Home (1978)

I definitely do like the unique visuals and mood that a folk horror can create and/or often inhabit.

Love The Witch. Both times I saw it.

Midsommar I started but never finished. Not sure if I will return to it. Wasn’t a big fan of what I saw.

Moviefoums is telling me I have seen Hagazussa before but I'm rewatching now.

The Witch was a terrific film. Also loved The Blair Witch Project if that is considered folk horror.

I thought we needed a Folk Horror thread. It's my favorite sub-genre of Horror. One of my favorite films is Robin Hardy's The Wicker Man.

I have seen several in my lifetime. To me, it's more a lifestyle than just Horror.

Wikipedia describes it as

a subgenre of horror film that uses elements of folklore to invoke fear and foreboding,,
include a rural setting, isolation, and themes of superstition, folk religion, paganism, sacrifice and the dark aspects of nature. Although related to supernatural horror film, it usually focuses on the beliefs and actions of people rather than the supernatural, and often deals with naïve outsiders coming up against these.

My favorites include

The Wicker Man (1973)
Midsommar (2019)
Men (2022)
Apostle (2018)
The VVitch (2015)
Lamb (2021)
Thale (2012)
Lord of Misrule (2023)
And many more

I would like to hear from fellow members and maybe find a new favorite.

One of my fave horror sub-genres too. Usually less gore and more a psychological aspect. Wicker man is one of the classics.

La Larona (2019)
Hereditary (2018)
Blood on Satans Claw (1971)
Midsommar (2019)
The Godsend (1980
The Witches (1966)
The Devil Rides Out (1970)

My fave horror sub-genre too. Yes Wicker man one of the classics.

La Larona (2019)
Hereditary (2018)
Blood on Satans Claw (1971)
Midsommar (2019)
The Godsend (1980
The Witches (1966)
Have you seen Men directed by Alex Garland?

It's a strange, f'dup film. I know many males who don't like it. I loved it!

Have you seen Men directed by Alex Garland?

It's a strange, f'dup film. I know many males who don't like it. I loved it!

No I have not. Will take a look and get back to you.

Watched the promo, looks good, not a blood bath tho is it?

Have you seen The Godsend, a rather obscure, mildly creepy 1980 Brit film, but it was memorable unlike many, many films of its genre that I have seen. It is in my film library so I intend watching it again this week.

I'm a bit unsure which films to belong to which sub-genre, but These should be among my favorites (in no particular order):

Poison for the Fairies
The VVitch
Alucarda
Dark Waters
In My Mother's Skin
Soul (Malaysian film, original title is Roh)
Luz: The Flower of Evil
Night of the Devils
The Curse of Audrey Earnshaw

Some others that I can recommend to fans of the genre:

The White Reindeer (OMFG, I'm recommending a Finnish movie)
The Shrine (some reviews at least call this folk)
Draug
Hagazussa
Kill List
Errementari: The Blacksmith and the Devil
November
Satan's Slaves (2017)
Viy (1967)
Blood on Satan's Claw

The White Reindeer (OMFG, I'm recommending a Finnish movie)
I posted a Finnish film as well

Victim of The Night
Eyes Of Fire
Leptirica
Viy

Right or wrong I also feel like Valerie And Her Week Of Wonders is Folk Horror.

Folk horror is among my favourite genres, though I’m probably stretching the definition.
I love most of the classics mentioned above, like The Wicker Man, etc. Zulawski’s Possession also counts imo, as does The Devil (though I liked it a tad less). I would add A Field in England, Wake Wood, Don’t Look Now, Rosemary’s Baby, Polanski’s Tenant, maybe even The Holy Mountain.
In recent years, broadly speaking, I’ve also loved Hereditary (it’s one of my all-around favourite films at this point ), A Dark Song, Hellbender (cannot recommend highly enough everything the Adams family and Toby Poser do). The Offering (‘22) and The Golem (and much other Jewish mysticism-themed horror from the last decade; there was one about a lesbian couple, but I can’t remember what it’s called).
Enys Men I didn’t love, but it’s very memorable, what with
WARNING: spoilers below
what a slow burn it is and how very little happens
. Similarly, Antrum (The Deadliest Film Ever Made) is technically nothing much, but has stayed with me for absolute ages and is creepy like few ‘modern’ films are. Very Jack-and-Jill-went-up-the-hill in the worst (best) sense.
A few of Moorhead and Benson’s films count as folk horror to me (Resolution and The Endless especially). They are also my absolute favourites.

Folk horror is among my favourite genres, though I’m probably stretching the definition.
I love most of the classics mentioned above, like The Wicker Man, etc. Zulawski’s Possession also counts imo, as does The Devil (though I liked it a tad less). I would add A Field in England, [i]Wake Wood[/i], Don’t Look Now, Rosemary’s Baby, Polanski’s Tenant, maybe even The Holy Mountain.
In recent years, broadly speaking, I’ve also loved Hereditary (it’s one of my all-around favourite films at this point ), A Dark Song, Hellbender (cannot recommend highly enough everything the Adams family and Toby Poser do). The Offering (‘22) and The Golem (and much other Jewish mysticism-themed horror from the last decade; there was one about a lesbian couple, but I can’t remember what it’s called).
Enys Men I didn’t love, but it’s very memorable, what with
WARNING: spoilers below
what a slow burn it is and how very little happens
. Similarly, Antrum (The Deadliest Film Ever Made) is technically nothing much, but has stayed with me for absolute ages and is creepy like few ‘modern’ films are. Very Jack-and-Jill-went-up-the-hill in the worst (best) sense.
A few of Moorhead and Benson’s films count as folk horror to me (Resolution and The Endless especially). They are also my absolute favourites.

I also love Hellbender and the band and everything they do!

Victim of The Night
It doesn't look like anyone's mentioned it yet but The Blair Witch Project is definitely Folk Horror, IMO.

Also, the more I think about it, I think Pumpkinhead is too.

Ones I enjoyed that (I think) haven't been mentioned yet:

A Field in England
Black Death
The Company of Wolves
Errementari
Haxan
Kill List
Kwaidan
Pumpkinhead
Tilbury
Witchfinder General

If you really like folk horror, you should help yourself to the All the Haunts be Ours box set.

Victim of The Night
Ones I enjoyed that (I think) haven't been mentioned yet:

A Field in England
Black Death
The Company of Wolves
Errementari
Haxan
Kill List
Kwaidan
Pumpkinhead
Tilbury
Witchfinder General

If you really like folk horror, you should help yourself to the All the Haunts be Ours box set.
I thought about adding Black Death to mine but it's been so long since I saw it I actually couldn't remember if it was Folk Horror or not.