The deadline for the Top Musicals list is coming up! Submit your ballot now, or read about it here

Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

解密

解密, or Decoded as it's being called in the U.S., is a decidedly bad adaptation of a novel that actually got pretty good reviews, and which was written by an actual former member of the Chinese military.

That the novel on which this is based was written by someone with possible actual experience in the Chinese military tells us - absolutely nothing; as reviewers pointed out when praising the novel, it probably is mostly entirely fictional.

The movie does seem, at first impression, to have at least a vaguely tenuous connection to real-life spycraft.

But what little resemblance to real life counter-intelligence activities this might have had go largely out the window once it becomes its protagonist (Liu Haoran) will rely largely on the interpretation of his own dreams to crack the toughest encryption ever devised by U.S. intelligence at the height of the Cold War.

Yup, you read that correctly: a single Chinese code-breaker relies on interpreting his own dreams to crack the toughest encryption hitherto devised by the U.S. National Security Agency.

You see, it also happens that the cryptography expert at the NSA is none other than Professor Liseiwicz, played with broad abandon by a puffy-looking John Cusack; the professor was the former mentor of the Chinese code-breaker, after which the young man was recruited by China's top military agency.

If that wasn't already loopy enough, the Chinese code-breaker's dreams are brought to life with extraordinarily cheesy computer graphics, which most closely resemble an AI program with remarkably bad taste, or a computer screensaver from the 1990s.

To make matters worse, the movie goes on for a mind-numbing 2 and 1/2 hours.

But you might have drifted off long before the movie ends, enjoying some sweet dreams of your own.

SING STREET
(2016, Carney)

"I don't know who I am. Maybe I'm happy-sad, too. I don't know."

Set in the mid-80's, Sing Street follows Conor (Ferdia Walsh-Peelo) as he embarks on this search for identity through music. When he is transferred to a new school because of his parents impending separation and divorce, he seeks refuge in forming a music band with some classmates. Conor's "muse" comes in the form of Raphina (Lucy Boynton), an enigmatic older girl who hangs in front of their school. After he dares to approach her, she agrees to appear in their music videos, which ultimately fuels their musical journey. On the sideline, there's also Conor's older brother, Brendan (Jack Reynor) who gives him frequent advice about music, life, love, and other stuff.

The musical angle is on-point, with most of the songs being really catchy. I don't know if they will stick with me as much as the ones in Once did, but I enjoyed listening to them. I also appreciated the way the film shows the camaraderie and rapport between the band members, especially Conor and Eamon (Mark McKenna). The way they play that Lennon/McCartney vibe felt special, and I wish I could've gotten more of that symbiotic musical relationship as they both grow and evolve. They are growing, going through all the changes that teendom brings, which in many cases means you're going to be "happy-sad" and not sure of what you are or how you feel.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot

Orpheline

Arnaud des Palličres's cryptic look at challenges faced by several women in France is noteworthy for featuring Gemma Arterton in a rare French-language performance; equally memorable is Adčle Exarchopoulos as a teenage runaway.

But the story is diffusive and inconclusive, just as likely to baffle as to illuminate, so YMMV.

Bronco Bullfrog

One of those rare movies that, if anything, seems to have gotten better with age; this 1969 British teen drama is like fine wine.

Shot in London’s East End in 1969, the film has been compared to the work of other (more prestigious) British filmmakers like Mike Leigh and Ken Loach - but with a bit of punk spirit.

Looked at with the benefit of hindsight, Bronco Bullfrog is the filmic grandaddy of Trainspotting.

It reminds me very much of the 80s TV movies from anthology series like Hammer House Of Mystery And Suspense (the follow-up to Hammer House Of Horror).
It's very pleasant and has its moments of intrigue but it just doesn't feel special enough for a theatrical release. Robert Powell is as enigmatic as you'd expect him to be, and the rest of the cast is OK (but not spectacular).

6.5/10

Killer's Moon (1978)

Slasher (but not that slashy) about 4 rum gentlemen with mental issues treated at a country farm with LSD and told to "live out their fantasies". So escape, rape and murder we're talking here. The poor unfortunates that become the brunt of their mania are a group of posh school-girls who's coach breaks down on the way to a concert. The fellas believe they are in a collective dream you see and it is part of their "therapy". I saw this as a kid as a Vid Nasty and fancied a rewatch (it's in Youtube). The nudity is sparse and the image of the girls running about with their white nightgowns years on retains it's memory. The 4 dudes are very funny also.

Murder, My Sweet (1944)

3 out of 5

I forgot the opening line.

Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=39195833

The Honourable Wally Norman - (2003)

A drunk politician accidentally nominates an average, everyday worker for parliament - and then tries to fix things, via sabotaging his campaign, so he doesn't get elected when he decides to take up the challenge. I've read so much that perfectly describes The Honourable Wally Norman. "Lacks bite", "dreary", "pretty bland", "a shallow and contrived affair" and "like being offered a dried-out chop, fake mash and over-cooked broccoli, when you were invited over for a juicy lamb roast." The problem with Australian political satires is the fact that so many films here these days are bankrolled via government grants, and nobody wants to offend the people putting up the money for your movie - and in any event, when you step outside the norm and fail here you'll be crucified to the extent that you'll certainly never work again, so it's safer to fail with much more conventional offerings and live another day. This is the kind of Australian film that doesn't even have an overseas market, and made $181,395 at the box office - which is too much if you ask me. It gets a score as high as 4 because Shaun Micallef is in it - a comic genius (who's not given much to work with at all.) Another few million dollars down the toilet.

4/10

Latest Review : Double Down (2005)

♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️
waiting for someone to do the crow remake review, i dont know if im gonna watch it or not cause the crow (1994) original movie is my #1 favorite movie of all time

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Three Poplars in Plyushchikha - 7.5/10
A movie friend I know recommended me this, describing it like "Brief Encounter" (Lean). When I saw the photograph of the woman, I wanted to see the movie. The other two times I did see a movie based on a face (thanks to Stirchley posting), they were both great. I really liked this woman, but I also like to see how things are (even if it's just a movie) in Russia.. She was so flirtatious in the first half of the movie, but in a very cute way.

I loved a comment she made about America.. "It's dangerous there"

And it's on Tubi.

Searching for Mr Rugoff

A documentary that manages to be fairly fascinating, without necessarily being particularly well-made, Searching for Mr. Rugoff will take you back to the halcyon days of indie and foreign-language movies making a big splash in the theaters of New York City's Upper East Side.

Granted, that might sound like something that requires a lot of insider knowledge - but it really doesn't. All it takes is that you know about some of the landmark film releases that were making huge waves with discriminating viewers in the late 60s and early 70s, and the zeal of the man who (by all accounts) made this happen.

At the height of his career, Rugoff was extremely close with filmmakers like Jean-Luc Godard, Francois Truffaut, Lina Wertmuller, Costa-Gavras, Robert Downey Sr, and all of Monty Python. He championed many of their films and helped them gain wide popularity in America

The days when someone like Rugoff could almost single-handedly change the face of film releasing in the US are definitely behind us - even indie film today depends largely on corporate-owned distributors.

The studios were caught flat-footed once, and they did not intend to let it happen again.

AFRAID

Does AFRAID seem like the kind of movie that is written by AI?

Oddly enough, no, I don't think there's an AI program in the world that could master the kind of campy cheesiness this movie embraces in the most reckless way imaginable.

Which doesn't make it a great movie, of course, but definitely an entertaining one in its own brand of awfulness.

A fairly good cast does what it can to keep things from getting too wacky, and for the most part succeeds, as the movie can be dumb fun so long as you don't start to think about it too hard.

And, at a mere 84 minutes, it really doesn't overstay its welcome, unlike the AI maleficence that is the movie's indestructible villain.

I forgot the opening line.

By The poster art can or could be obtained from Early Day Films., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=62303991

Bait - (2019)

Bait is a very moody film, and works at you emotionally without being an intellectual exercise, but at the same time there's a cornucopia of experimental movie-making techniques that Jenkin plays with for one to analyse.

8/10

By Studio and or Graphic Artist - IMP Awards, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=58417361

Her Smell - (2018)

Working through the corridors, dressing rooms, toilets, mirrors, drug-laden tables and chairs made me think briefly of racing through a submarine in Das Boot - tight spaces where the only implosion will be that of a rock star - all the glamour, sparkle and shine turned to horror via fame and it's chemical attendees.

8/10

By Meta Film Stockholm; Meta Film - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7589524...r/rm3000397056, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=63026201

Aniara - (2018)

I love science fiction related to space travel/exploration when done well, and this was. What I also liked was the fact that Aniara was so far removed from the Hollywood version of this (seen in the likes of Passengers), getting it's hands dirty and acknowledging how messy we are - in every way. It's limited by it's budget, but I liked it very much all the same.

7/10

BAD LIEUTENANT
(1992, Ferrara)

"I've been biting the fu˘king bullet since I was 14. No one can kill me. I'm blessed... I'm a catholic."

Bad Lieutenant follows the titular character (Harvey Keitel), a corrupt cop that revels in drugs, sex, and gambling; biting the bullet since he was a teenager. When a young nun ends up raped and tortured, the investigation puts him face to face with his own inner demons of guilt and regrets.

This is one of those films that's not a pleasant experience, which is totally the intention. The film transmits the seediness of the main character onto the screen, with a grimy look and vibe that you just want to shake off afterwards. We see LT, as he is often called, wallowing in all kinds of excesses in a way that's far from pretty and enticing. His actions being probably a reflection of his tortured soul.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot