The deadline for the Top Musicals list is coming up! Submit your ballot now, or read about it here

A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Victim of The Night
Someone on a horror social site told me that Longlegs is better than the entire Scream franchise. Uhh....what? lol.
Longlegs seems really divisive. I haven't seen it yet because reasons but I have seen Horror folk I genuinely trust say it is the best Horror of 2024 and one to remember and then you have Vanity Fair calling it "a grueling collage of much better films" and far more 1-star than 5-star reviews on IMDB (not that I trust that much but it's a thing).
I may catch it at home somewhere along the way.

Someone on a horror social site told me that Longlegs is better than the entire Scream franchise. Uhh....what? lol.

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Comparing Longlegs to the Scream movies just seems like a weird thing to do, whichever of those two you prefer. Yes, they are movies. But they are not after the same things at all.

Yeah. They spammed social media with the trigger warning too. BUT I’ve avoided all trailers and only know who made it, so knowing that doesn’t quite feel like a spoiler.

Unless it does. Won’t know till I’m in the theater.
See, I had the impression that the trigger warning actually appeared on the screen, not that it was just generally put out as part of the publicity. But who knows? I'm resisting reading or Googling too much.

I'm trying to write a review of Calvaire that is thought out and unpacks my thinking.

But honestly my main thought about the film is that if you're thinking of, like, firing up your OKCupid profie, you watch Calvaire, and renew your AAA subscription instead.

I would definitely agree with that person, but then again I think Scream sucks.

Victim of The Night
MKS recommended it on the previous page
How did I miss that?

(I was supposed to go see it tonight at The Broad but something came up, probably try to go tomorrow.)

Victim of The Night
I would definitely agree with that person, but then again I think Scream sucks.
Do you even dislike the original and if so, did you see it when it came out or later?

Victim of The Night
Also, I would like to say that I liked but didn't love Evil Dead Trap the first time I saw it (a few months ago) but it came on Shudder TV and I let it play and I've really responded to it the second time around.

Do you even dislike the original and if so, did you see it when it came out or later?
Yes (sort of) to both. I didn't see the first one in theater as it didn't interest me. I tried to watch it on television a couple of years later but didn't even finish. I gave it another try a few years ago and struggled to finish it (I did finish it, though). I've never seen any of the sequels and that's likely not changing.

New Horror movies I've seen starting from August 20th to August 31st

(First time watches)

Triangle (2009) - Psychological Horror -

No One Lives (2012) - Thriller -

Candyman (2021) - Supernatural -

The Invitation (2022) - Thiller -

Orphan First Kill (2022) - Psychological Horror -

No One Will Save You (2023) - Sci-Fi -

Strange Darling (2024) -Thriller-

Victim of The Night
New Horror movies I've seen starting from August 20th to August 31st

(First time watches)

Triangle (2009) - Psychological Horror -

No One Lives (2012) - Thriller -

Candyman (2021) - Supernatural -

The Invitation (2022) - Thiller -

Orphan First Kill (2022) - Psychological Horror -

No One Will Save You (2023) - Sci-Fi -

Strange Darling (2024) -Thriller-
What a hardass.

How did I miss that?

(I was supposed to go see it tonight at The Broad but something came up, probably try to go tomorrow.)
I hope you try. I returned simply to plug it. I’d really like to gab about it but it’s the kind of movie you can’t talk about until the other parties have seen it.

Victim of The Night
I hope you try. I returned simply to plug it. I’d really like to gab about it but it’s the kind of movie you can’t talk about until the other parties have seen it.
I'm planning on going tomorrow.

What a hardass.
Me never , at least I'm being honest about what I enjoyed and what I didn't enjoy that much

Victim of The Night
Me never , at least I'm being honest about what I enjoyed and what I didn't enjoy that much
I know, you just give such low reviews to most films that I like to chime in with "What a hardass", every time. It's a thing for me.
(Like Triangle with just two buckets. Yikes.)

Basket Case -

Darryl Revok from Scanners said it best: "brothers should be close, don't you think?" This horror comedy about an unusual brotherhood successfully explores the highs and lows of keeping things tightly-knit (pardon the pun). The sensation of not being sure if you should laugh or look away is a favorite way to feel, so I am naturally drawn to this genre. This movie does this several times and without making me bored of it. Every appearance of Belial, a.k.a. the basket-dwelling brother, did this for me while making me admire the ingenuity behind the abomination every time. The budget was apparently very low, but in the puppetry and stop motion that brings Belial to life, you would not be able to tell. While I mentioned Scanners, would it be more appropriate to namedrop another Cronenberg movie to compare it to, i.e. Dead Ringers? Duane and Belial's revenge mission against the doctors who separated them against their will is a riot. However, despite how much more skeezy the movie gets, the movie reaches another level when a woman comes between the brothers. Kevin Van Hentenryck is brilliant as a man whose mask of sanity gets harder to keep on, whether due to his mission or hiding what's really in his basket of "clothes," as is Robert Vogel as the hotel manager for his similar struggle to contain their disturbances. The movie is also enjoyable as a time capsule of pre-Giuliani Manhattan in all its grittiness.

I have mentioned a couple other horror movies about brothers, but this one is very much its own entity, and what a delightfully funny and icky entity it is. It's the kind of movie that makes you feel like you're inside of a grindhouse theater instead of your living room while you're watching it. Again, as funny and gruesome as the romantic rivalry portion is, there are parts of it that haven't aged well. It's still stands as a movie that may not have invented the horror comedy, but it makes you wonder if it did since it's such a definitive example of one.

With that, I am going to attempt a horror fast until October (unless we close out the Hall of Infamy with a terrible horror movie). Can I do it?