The deadline for the Top Musicals list is TOMORROW! Submit your ballot now, or read about it here

What sources shaped your knowledge/appreciation of film?

Tools    

Was it a book?
a film-review series?
writings of particular critics?
A podcast?
MoFo?

It was my own mind and watching a number of films that shaped my appreciation of film.
So nothing "spiced up" your passion for it? lead you to seek different corners, entertain different perspectives etc.

Trouble with a capital "T"
So nothing "spiced up" your passion for it? lead you to seek different corners, entertain different perspectives etc.
Yup, 'spiced up' my passion for films, as I posted once on MoFo.

Clara Bow, wow!...If it wasn't for her I wouldn't be here today at MoFo.
It says alot about an actress from a century ago who had enough 'it' power to catch my attention. It was by random chance that I was shopping in a book store almost 20 years ago with my wife and I started wondering around the store when I seen a very provocative book cover, Sin in Soft Focus Pre-Code Hollywood. I didn't know what 'soft focus' meant or what a Pre-Code was but that cover caught my eye. As I thumbed through the book I found the name of the actress on the front cover, Clara Bow. I didn't buy the book as it was way too pricey. But I did find a set of Clara Bow's films on DVD, on ebay, for cheap. They had to be bootleg as the quality was poor, but it was cool having access to so many of her films.

And from there I got into pre-code Hollywood films. The rest is history!

My parents--and especially my mom---exposed me to a lot of interesting movies as a kid. When I was like 10 or 11 we went to a Hitchcock series and I got to see Rear Window and Vertigo on the big screen. And once we were old enough to read, they rotated foreign films more into the mix.

In high school I took a class on film noir, and the books that I read for that class (and the papers I wrote) were my first introduction to the idea of film analysis and just generally gave me more awareness of just how intentional things like camera angles and background imagery were.

Yup, 'spiced up' my passion for films, as I posted once on MoFo.

And from there I got into pre-code Hollywood films.
Haha, I had never heard about her.

My love for pre-code began with this heart-breaker...

In high school I took a class on film noir, and the books that I read for that class (and the papers I wrote) were my first introduction to the idea of film analysis and just generally gave me more awareness of just how intentional things like camera angles and background imagery were.
Do you happen to work in a film(or writing about film)related field too? asking because it was part of your studies..

Do you happen to work in a film(or writing about film)related field too? asking because it was part of your studies..
No, it was just a high school elective.

The closest I got to the film industry was the 3 years I spent working at a video store. And being an extra one time.

Trouble with a capital "T"
Haha, I had never heard about her.

My love for pre-code began with this heart-breaker...

Cool. What's the story? Did you see one of her movies on TV? How did you first see Dietrich?

Before the internet I never had to have an opion about anything, so I guess that's how it all started.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Watching movies. Especially at the start when everything is new to you, especially when you veer off and watch the non-mainstream stuff. But if someone recommended me a great movie from a message board, it definitely helps accelerate. But a lot of also was my age. I was 17 when I first started driving and when I graduated high school. By 18 I got a Blockbuster Rewards Membership, so I got a handful of movies per week, at least. Starting college... Moving out at 19. It was all parallel, so life was exciting and so were the movies. At 22, I got all the IFC, Sundance, TCM, and it also helped. And the downloading!

Also watching interviews by directors I love hooked me in even more, and usually made me want to see the rest of their work, but to also consider their point of view.

My parents always watched movies when I was growing up, I guess their love of movies influenced my love.

It was my own mind and watching a number of films that shaped my appreciation of film.
Pretty much this.

When it comes to knowledge there's a pre- and post-internet era. Before, it was mainly some magazines (Fangoria, Gorezone, and some Finnish horror fanzines) and some books (again, mostly about horror films and mostly in Finnish so no point in listing them here - actually re-read one of them, called Musta peili, a few years ago and it was quite bad). I even took a film history course in an adult education center (not sure if this is the right term, other options Google gives are community college and folk high school) in my early teens.

After the internet, most of my knowledge about films is from there. I've read at least one book about cinematography (Grammar of the Film Language by Daniel Arijon), too.

These days the "knowledge" for me means mostly finding potentially interesting films I've missed. I'm not that interested in technical merits as most of my favorite movies are definitely lacking in that apartment.

Victim of The Night
It started when cable TV, with the Home Box Office, aka HBO, came to my town in 1980.
Suddenly I had access to movies day and night, every day, which did not previously exist. You saw a movie in the theater or maybe on weekends you saw a movie that was in the public domain or the station could get cheaply, and always edited for television (no cursing, no sex/nudity, no gratuitous violence), or you didn't see a movie at all.
And then one day I have movies running til like midnight or 1am and then 24 hours. Just movies all day all night. Of which I availed myself.
The next big thing was probably when my mother (a good woman) "allowed" me to watch Friday The 13th Part 2 with her because I liked "Horror" so much (I guess this would be in '82 when I was still 9 years old). Scared the shit out of me but I survived it and so she loosened the reins on what I could watch, even by myself. But my father (not a good man) was pissy that he was not part of the decision and decided that I need to "grow up" and made me watch a movie that had heavy nudity and a lot of violence in it to get even with my mother. Once that had happened, my mom decided that the ship had probably sailed and and that I could watch whatever came on HBO, unsupervised.
Before long, that included things like Videodrome and The Night Porter at 12 years old. Not that either of these is Citizen Kane per se, but it set the tone for me that I wanted more and further all the time, give me all the cinema, the extremes, everything. And this included Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid and Paper Moon. Blade Runner and An Officer And A Gentleman. The Big Chill and Scarface and Ordinary People. All before my 13th birthday. And then my bed-time went away completely. I could stay up all night on the weekends if I wanted to. And I did, watching movies all night long. M*A*S*H. The Blues Brothers. First Blood, Risky Business, The Cannonball Run.
So that was the first big one. Immersion. Everything. Oscar winners and low-budget Sci-fiers and very adult (for the time) Comedies and Dramas and Horror movies, everything. That was how I got off the ground, anyway.
The next one was a Panasonic VHS player. But that is a whole other chapter.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
My mother was the biggest influence on my movie watching. Ever since we got cable TV, she was always watching movies at home, and she would ask me to watch the classics with her. She's the reason I love musicals, Cary Grant, Hitchcock, and so much more. Many of my favorite old movies are movies that I watched because she wanted someone to watch them with her.

We also used to watch "Siskel and Ebert's At The Movies" together every week.

Internet forums movie threads
Youtube
Rotten Tomatoes
Metacritic
Wikipedia
They Shoot Pictures Don't They
Sight and Sound
Criterion Collection

Cool. What's the story? Did you see one of her movies on TV? How did you first see Dietrich?
It really was Shanghai Express' poster, a movie that I had not seen appear in any major list back then (Sight and Sound, imdb 250 etc.)... Dietrich's pose irradiated power, and the sight of a train excited me (guessed "it all happens in a train ride?!") and also the font of the title... by her first scenes I was like "am I falling for a lady in a 30s film?" LOL.

Internet forums movie threads
Youtube
Rotten Tomatoes
Metacritic
Wikipedia
They Shoot Pictures Don't They
Sight and Sound
Criterion Collection
Yeah all of these, plus movie MAGAZINES which I had to wait weekly or monthly for... I miss the feeling of anticipation and the sensory experience of it.

But this book above all, in recent years...

In the Upper West Side neighborhood where I grew up in the1960s into the mid 70s there were several movie theaters within walking distance. In those days there were revival theaters that played old movies (no such thing as a VCR, let alone DVD), and even the first-run theaters would play older movies at certain times.

We had a big hardcover book about the history of film (I can't remember the title) and I liked to peruse the book with its many pictures.

My career as a budding cinephile harks back to the early 2010s when I discovered what cinema can be by watching Bela Tarr's 2000 masterpiece Werckmeister Harmonies. When we say a film changed us, we often exaggerate, but with Harmonies I can say this and be sure there's not a grain of exaggeration to it. It changed me so deeply that I turned from a Sunday blockbuster movie watcher to a lover of the art of cinema overnight. Of course, becoming a cinephile is a long and thorny path, but my first watch of Werckmeister Harmonies was the evident beginning of my journey, no doubts about that. Now, one could speculate with the "what ifs" and "what nots". Maybe I'd venture down the road of cinema anyway through other means, other films, with different ideas and beliefs. I'm not denying that it indeed is possible that even if I hadn't watched Werckmeister Harmonies on that one September day of 2011, I would still somehow discover the beauty of film as a cinematic art. Still, I'd rather talk about what happened relative to what could've happened, and there's no denying that watching Harmonies was a huge milestone in my life. I was amazed by this film in a way I had never been amazed by anything else. The reason is simple: It wasn't a film that I finished and said "Wow! That was a great film!." Rather, it was a film that I finished and said, "Wow! I didn't think it was even possible to make a film like this! To shoot a scene like this, to move the camera like this, to create this sort of atmosphere."

It all feels like a coincidence: stumbling upon this film, finding a write-up from a guy who highly praised it (I'm still in contact with him to this day) and deciding to watch it. Without having any idea of what I'm about to witness, understanding nothing, but feeling everything. The rest is history. There were other films, will be others. But no other film has single-handedly made such a revolution in my life. With no other film can I trace such a clear-cut path from me nowadays, watching over 200 films a month, to me in 2011 after I watched Werckmeister Harmonies and said to myself "I must watch more films! I must find another film that will make me feel like this!" Funnily enough, I never did. No film made me feel exactly the way Harmonies did, not even other Bela Tarr works. If anything, this is a testament to the beauty of this masterpiece, but also to the brilliant diversity of cinema as an art form.

Of course, there's much more to say: what happened before, what happened next. About the group of cinephiles I somewhat joined shortly after watching Harmonies and their approach to film that I inadvertently took with me, about the guy whose playful scorn for others inspired my own cantankerous persona, about branching out to other websites and meeting all sorts of individuals there, from aloof cine-elitists to laid-back pulp lovers to mysterious ghosts to half-trolling brats. How things that happened in my own life informed and influenced my film assessment, how my standards decreased but my love for the art grew deeper, to finally how I enjoyed spending my time on MoFo as a place to rest from all serious things related to film.

I hardly ever read anything about cinema in my first 5+ years of cinephilia. I thought it would soil the purity of my experience. I still read very little, for various reasons. I detest the idea of a film critic, even if some critics are OK. It's just that it's always cinephiles who don't treat cinema as a job that have better taste and a more sincere outlook on the art form. As a result, I only sincerely follow 'amateur' cinephiles in multiple places.