The deadline for the Top Musicals list is TOMORROW! Submit your ballot now, or read about it here

The MoFo Musicals Countdown - Preliminary Thread

→ in
Tools    

As we get closer to the deadline, a musical question... What is your favourite song from a musical?
"Don't Walk Away", ELO (Xanadu)

"City of Stars", Ryan Gosling & Emma Stone (La La Land)

"Let's Duet", John C. Reilly & Jenna Fischer (Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story)
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Trouble with a capital "T"
Only 12 days left...tell the deadline of Sept 17th. Let's keep this thread bumped so hopefully people will see it and send in a ballot (the rules and info are on the 1st and 2nd post of this thread)

I forgot the opening line.
My ballot is in! An abundance of great musicals to choose from - but I think with this countdown my taste is more particular and a little more divergent from the general consensus - to a degree. Some of my favourite musical moments (aside from Wig in a Box, which seems pretty popular!) :

Latest Review : Double Down (2005)

Great to see so many Hedwig posts (if it translates into points it'll do really well, which would be great) but I'm surprised that no one's mentioned the best song in the whole film/soundtrack. For me Angry Inch is obviously the stand out track.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
New question to ponder over the weekend: what is your favourite stage musical that hasn't been made into a film yet? And who would you cast in it?

Only 12 days left...tell the deadline of Sept 17th. Let's keep this thread bumped so hopefully people will see it and send in a ballot (the rules and info are on the 1st and 2nd post of this thread)
I was just gonna ask this question. Gotta get crackalacking on my ballot.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
New question to ponder over the weekend: what is your favourite stage musical that hasn't been made into a film yet? And who would you cast in it?

Barnum. I love the movie The Greatest Showman (2017), but it's not really the same as the Broadway show. The story is similar, but the songs are completely different. I saw the Broadway show starring Jim Dale (live on Broadway), and the London show with Michael Crawford (on DVD), and I loved both.

Also, Pippin. I saw the Broadway show starring Ben Vereen many years ago. I don't remember it well because it was so long ago, but I remember that I loved it. I would love to see a movie version of it.

Some more recommendations:

(in alphabetical order)
Annie (1982)
Bright Eyes (1934)
Bugsy Malone (1976)
Curly Top (1935)
Dear Evan Hansen (2021)
Hedwig and the Angry Inch (2001)
Into the Woods (2014)
Little Miss Broadway (1938)
The Lure (2015)
A Week Away (2021)

Submitted mine because I doubt I'll have time to watch anything new in the next week so I don't want to risk forgetting completely and miss the chance to see some of my favourites get extra some points.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
I guess, it's time me to wake up.
btw, I've forced myself to see some musicals in-between my regular film watch during the last months. Alas, not satisfied by most of them.

Anyway some stats,

the ones I saw for the countdown (my very first view), randomly listed:

Funny Face (1957)
The Muppet Movie (1979)
The Sound of Music (1965)
An American in Paris (1951)
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964)
Once (2007)
Fiddler on the Roof (1971)
Paint Your Wagon (1969)
Victor/Victoria (1982)

I plan to watch today Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.

I've rewatched:

Everyone Says I Love You (1996) (probably my seventh rewatch, it's so enjoyable)
Singin' in the Rain (1952)

I have about ten other titles that are absolute lock for my ballot from the very beginning.
Not sure how to proceed the ballot now, considering my mixed feelings about most of the newly seen musicals.

Funny Face (1957)
An American in Paris (1951)
Paint Your Wagon (1969)
Those movies are on my too watch list for the countdown, but so are like 30 others and I can't watch them all. Of those three listed above did you really like them? or what would you rate them at? I'm just trying to get an idea if I should watch any of those or skip them.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Those movies are on my too watch list for the countdown, but so are like 30 others and I can't watch them all. Of those three listed above did you really like them? or what would you rate them at? I'm just trying to get an idea if I should watch any of those or skip them.
Of these three, I'd recommend only Funny Face (1957). Although the plot and the screenplay are silly, the visuals are very nice. I even think this is one of the first movies applying a new modern visual design as a whole.

I guess, you'll probably like An American in Paris too but meh, there is too much filler - overly-extended musical sets, etc.

Of these three, I'd recommend only Funny Face (1957). Although the plot and the screenplay are silly, the visuals are very nice. I even think this is one of the first movies applying a new modern visual design as a whole.

I guess, you'll probably like An American in Paris too but meh, there is too much filler - overly-extended musical sets, etc.
Thanks I'll try and get Funny Face watched. It's so damn hard making my ballot I need another 3 months!