The deadline for the Top Musicals list is TOMORROW! Submit your ballot now, or read about it here

Guys and Dolls remake - Rob Marshall to direct

Tools    

Sony has been working on a Guys and Dolls remake for a while, now it looks as though they've settled on Rob Marshall as the director for the musical project.

TriStar has the rights to Damon Runyon’s original short stories, which tackled gamblers, gangsters, and the women who love them, as well as the rights to the Tony-winning Broadway musical and the 1955 film starring Marlon Brando and Frank Sinatra.

The ‘Guys and Dolls’ remake was originally supposed to star Channing Tatum and Joseph Gordon-Levitt in the lead roles; They’ve since left the project. Marshall was originally offered to direct ‘Guys and Dolls’ right after “Chicago” got released, in 2003, but he told the Guardian that he planned to give musicals a rest.

We really don't need a remake of Guys and Dolls. Can they not make a new original musical?
Yes, they can. It's called Wicked

Thrilled about a Guys and Dolls remake…I’ve always had issues with the 1955 film. Marlon Brando as Sky Masterson? Seriously? And that’s just the tip of the musical iceberg.

Thrilled about a Guys and Dolls remake…I’ve always had issues with the 1955 film. Marlon Brando as Sky Masterson? Seriously? And that’s just the tip of the musical iceberg.
How would you feel if they cast Timothee as Sky Masterson?

Trouble with a capital "T"
I just seen Guys and Dolls a week ago. Sky Masterson was a confident, suave, high rolling gambler and risk taker. Timothee or Gosling don't fit that bill. Who's needed is someone with a persona like a modern day Gene Kelly, is there any actor like that?

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
How would you feel if they cast Timothee as Sky Masterson?

I haven't seen Timothée Chalamet in much, but I liked him in Wonka. However from what I've seen of him, I think he might be better for Frank Sinatra's roll as Nathan Detroit.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I just seen Guys and Dolls a week ago. Sky Masterson was a confident, suave, high rolling gambler and risk taker. Timothee or Gosling don't fit that bill. Who's needed is someone with a persona like a modern day Gene Kelly, is there any actor like that?

I think the closest to Gene Kelly nowadays might be Hugh Jackman. He can sing, dance, act, and he has charisma.

Trouble with a capital "T"
I think the closest to Gene Kelly nowadays might be Hugh Jackman. He can sing, dance, act, and he has charisma.
Agreed! I hadn't thought of him, but now that you mention him, yes he has the charisma and charm that Kelly had and that's what Marlon Brando lacked as Sky Matherson.