Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

CHOPPING MALL
(1986, Wynorski)

"I guess I'm just not used to being chased around a mall in the middle of the night by killer robots."

Chopping Mall gives you just that. A bunch of horny teenagers being chased around a mall in the middle of the night by killer robots. The film starts with the presentation of the new security system to the mall public, which includes three robots programmed to stop criminals. After that, it introduces us to the cast of teenagers; four couples, that decide to stay at the mall for an impromptu party, only to end up terrorized by the robots.

Now, don't come to the film expecting great performances or character development, cause you won't get it. Pretty much all the teenagers are one-dimensional characters and half of them are a$$holes. None of the boys really stand out, except for Mike (John Terlesky) as the most a$$hole-y and Ferdy (Tony O'Dell) as the least a$$hole-y. As for the girls, Allison (Kelli Maroney) is the geeky, "virgin-like" one, which gives you a hint of how the plot will progress.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot

Dune: Part Two (Denis Villeneuve, 2024)

Similar thoughts to the first one, from a technical perspective it's impressive insomuch that everything we see looks incredible detailed and realistic, but the downside of that is that the end result is quite dull and sterile. Lots of brown, lots of gray, lots of actors who are normally entertaining just doing normal stuff (Walken)... Lynch's version is much better in my honest opinion.

Rebel Ridge (Jeremy Saulnier, 2024)

First hour is great, then it drags a bit and gets a bit repetitive. Saulnier knows how to direct though, his blocking, frame compositions, editing... it's all very good. I hope he does well from this and we see more from him.

I forgot the opening line.

By http://www.impawards.com/2004/phantom_of_the_opera.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=6743253

The Phantom of the Opera - (2004)

This is the second (and probably the last) time I give Joel Schumacher's Phantom a go. "Looks so good, but fits so strange" as No Doubt might say - I'm not all that familiar with the stage version, so I'm not sure if it has been adapted really poorly, or if the whole shebang just leaves me cold. I like the music though - and when you're backed up by music like that it almost feels like it'd be more difficult to make a bad movie than a good one. I don't like the casting here - but there's simply an uncanny feeling that something is off, and it's really hard to state unequivocally what's spoiling the recipe. The direction, the acting, the way the story is presented, a combination or all of the above - I'm waiting for the next stab at it, which might never actually come considering the way Cats turned out. Maybe I should just catch the show.

5/10

By http://www.impawards.com/2023/palm_t...ines_ver2.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=69893616

Palm Trees and Power Lines - (2022)

For all those thinking about how they'd feel watching this film, you'll experience a lot of anger, nausea, discomfort and sadness. Full review here, in my watchlist thread.

7/10

By May be found at the following website: https://www.cinematerial.com/movies/...338/p/r91l0kjy, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=55747691

The Eyes of My Mother - (2016)

The Eyes of My Mother doesn't want to shock you, despite being an at-times grisly horror movie - it wants you to feel empathy and think about grief. I spent a moment or two thinking about grief and the infinite ways it can manifest itself. Not a bad effect for a movie to have. Full review here, in my watchlist thread.

7/10

Latest Review : Double Down (2005)

Boat People (1982) - Ann Hui's devastating drama following a Japenese photojournalist who learns about the inhumane conditions in communist Vietnam working "zones". Formally simple (compared to other Hong Kong classics I've seen) and pretty straightforward about its intentions - which continues to anger the most left-leaning among us - but it's a harrowing experience nevertheless; and sadly familiar to any citizen who has seen poverty, goverment cover-ups and gunning down of a population. 8.5/10

1st Rewatch....The Cohen Brothers put themselves on the map with this stylish nail biter whose beauty lies in its simplicity and the fact that the only ones who are privy to everything that happens here are the viewers.

5th Rewatch...The bloom has worn of this cinematic rose a bit since, as I was watching it, it occurred to me that people don't hitchhike anymore, but this is still a cautionary tale for picking up anybody on the side of the road with their thumb out. Rutger Hauer is bone-chilling.

Savage Streets -

You may already know that '80s cinema has plenty of cheese, but did you know it has lots of sleaze as well? Some movies combine the two, with this prime example of the teen vigilante subgenre doing just that. I'm a fan of movies that also function as time capsules, and this one achieves this in front of and behind the camera. Getting to see Hollywood Boulevard from this era in all its glory is a treat, as is the soundtrack with exactly the kind of AOR bangers I hoped it would have from start to finish. While Linda Blair was famously trashed for her performance as lead Satin and revenger Brenda, I think her work dovetails with the tone Steinman and company were trying to achieve. As for her target, Jake, Robert Dryer (R.I.P.) might as well have been born to play the role because he makes him out to be as terrifying as he looks. John Vernon also deserves credit for riding a fine line of being dignified and making his X-rated dialogue get under your skin. Speaking of, I confess to watching an edit that heavily chops up the material that besides Blair's performance made the movie an object of derision amongst critics. If you're interested in the 90-minute edit and come up empty in your search, I would not feel bad because with this one’s dialogue and violence, especially in a scene at a bridge, it cuts plenty deep as it is.

This movie does a pretty good job at putting that Margaret Atwood quote about men being afraid of women laughing at them and women being afraid of men killing them - or worse - into motion. It may be foolish to complain about things like taste, subtlety and nuance in movies like this one, but it could use more. Class of 1984 is equally exploitative, but since it has more of these things and where it matters, it is superior. If you're in the mood for something like this and you haven't seen Class of 1984, watch it first. If you have, this one will still check your boxes, but do not expect any extra credit (pardon the pun since they're in high school). It is also just as likely to make you want to take a shower afterwards.

1st Rewatch... Nancy Meyers, the creative force behind films like Private Benjamin, Baby Boom, and the Steve Martin Father of the Bride movies, helms this charming romantic comedy that stars Oscar winner Meryl Streep as Jane Adler, a divorced businesswoman who reunites with her ex-husband, Jake (Alec Baldwin) at her son's graduation ceremony in New York and actually has sex with him, despite the fact that he is remarried to an ice queen with a son who is pressuring him into a having a baby. Jane returns and begins a relationship with Adam (Steve Martin), the contractor remodeling her house, but Jake has decided he wants Jane back. I've mentioned before that I love whenever Meryl gets to lighten up and she seems to really be enjoying herself here, creating viable chemistry with both of her leading men.

Umpteenth Rewatch...Regular followers of my thread know that this film features my favorite Nicole Kidman performance Aided by meticulous direction from Gus Van Sant and a razor sharp screenplay by Buck Henry, this sizzling black comedy is a re-imagining of the Pamela Smart story finds Kidman playing a budding Barbara Walters who feels her dullard husband (Matt Dillon) is getting in the way of her career ambitions so she manipulates a couple of dumb ass high school students into murdering the guy. This is Van Sant, Henry, and especially Kidman at the top of their respective games, not to mention a couple of future Oscar winners named Joaquin Phoenix and Casey Affleck.

1st Rewatch...I have to say it, Cate Blanchett should have won her third Oscar for her extraordinary performance in this pretentious and long-winded look at the life of a female composer and orchestra conductor who is preparing for the release of a book she has written and becoming the first woman to conduct the German Philharmonic orchestra when some moves in her personal life begin to derail everything. Blanchett does make this film worth a look, despite its severe overlength, which really hurts it. And I hate to say it, I have nothing against Michelle Yeoh and understand her Oscar win, but was she really better than Blanchett?

1st Rewatch...Chris Rock really missed the boat here with his remake of the 1978 Warren Beatty film Heaven Can Wait which finds Rock playing a standup comic who gets hit by a truck and sent to heaven where he is told he was prematurely taken and is given the option to occupy the body of a recently murdered millionaire. It's not so much that the remake is a bad idea, but the fact that Rock and his character are black and the dead millionaire is white makes the story racist, offensive, and non-sensical.

THE HUDSUCKER PROXY
(1994, Coen)

"I used to think you were a swell guy. Well, to be honest, I thought you were an imbecile. But then I figured out you *were* a swell guy... A little slow, maybe, but a swell guy. Well, maybe you're not so slow, But you're not so swell either. And it looks like you're an imbecile after all!"

Set in 1950s New York City, The Hudsucker Proxy follows Norville Barnes (Tim Robbins), a young and naïve business school graduate from Indiana. When the president of Hudsucker Industries unexpectedly commits suicide, board member Sidney J. Mussburger (Paul Newman) decides to install Norville as a "puppet president" in order to "inspire panic in the stockholder" to devaluate stocks.

There is a certain playfulness to how things unfold on The Hudsucker Proxy, where even something as serious as a suicide is played lightly without feeling disrespectful. There is also a certain simplicity to its story of a man seen as a "jerk" or "imbecile" rising to the top and still succeeding against all odds. This simplicity extends to Norville's plan. Seeing him walk around showing this crumpled piece of paper with a circle drawn in it – "you know, for the kids!" – was enough to make me laugh.

Grade:

THE ROCKETEER
(1991, Johnston)

Cliff: "Jenny, prepare yourself for a shock: I'm the Rocketeer."
Jenny: "The Rocke-who?"

Set in 1938, The Rocketeer follows Cliff Secord (Bill Campbell), a stunt pilot that stumbles upon a prototype jet pack that was stolen from Howard Hughes (Terry O'Quinn). In search for it are the FBI, a local crime gang, and a group of Nazi sympathizers. With the help of his mechanic friend (Alan Arkin), Secord assumes the identity of the Rocketeer to protect the jet pack. Meanwhile, he also struggles to keep his relationship with aspiring actress Jenny (Jennifer Connelly) afloat, as she is wooed by movie star Neville Sinclair (Timothy Dalton).

The first time I saw The Rocketeer was probably 20 or so years ago, but I've always held it close to my heart. What it lacks in star-power and budget, it makes up for in fun and charm. The film doesn't feel as pretentious or overtly serious as some recent comic films, but instead, is enjoyable, adventurous, and breezy. Campbell manages to strike a perfect balance between heroic will and charming naivete, while Dalton is perfect as the hammy Sinclair. Finally, Connelly makes the most of a somewhat underwritten role, while Arkin is solid as Secord's friend.

Grade:

By http://www.impawards.com/2004/phantom_of_the_opera.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=6743253

The Phantom of the Opera - (2004)

This is the second (and probably the last) time I give Joel Schumacher's Phantom a go. "Looks so good, but fits so strange" as No Doubt might say - I'm not all that familiar with the stage version, so I'm not sure if it has been adapted really poorly, or if the whole shebang just leaves me cold. I like the music though - and when you're backed up by music like that it almost feels like it'd be more difficult to make a bad movie than a good one. I don't like the casting here - but there's simply an uncanny feeling that something is off, and it's really hard to state unequivocally what's spoiling the recipe. The direction, the acting, the way the story is presented, a combination or all of the above - I'm waiting for the next stab at it, which might never actually come considering the way Cats turned out. Maybe I should just catch the show.

5/10

By http://www.impawards.com/2023/palm_t...ines_ver2.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=69893616

Palm Trees and Power Lines - (2022)

For all those thinking about how they'd feel watching this film, you'll experience a lot of anger, nausea, discomfort and sadness. Full review here, in my watchlist thread.

7/10

By May be found at the following website: https://www.cinematerial.com/movies/...338/p/r91l0kjy, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=55747691

The Eyes of My Mother - (2016)

The Eyes of My Mother doesn't want to shock you, despite being an at-times grisly horror movie - it wants you to feel empathy and think about grief. I spent a moment or two thinking about grief and the infinite ways it can manifest itself. Not a bad effect for a movie to have. Full review here, in my watchlist thread.

7/10
Agree with everything you said about Phantom

Cheyenne Autumn (John Ford / 1964)
Bone Tomahawk (S. Craig Zahler / 2015)
Horizon: An American Saga - Chapter 1 (Kevin Costner / 2024)

Three Westerns... but extremely different in tone and style. Interestingly enough, the connecting thread here is none other than Wyatt Earp. Cheyenne Autumn features what amounts to a special guest-star appearance from James Stewart as the famous marshal (with Arthur Kennedy playing Doc Holliday), and the other two movies star actors who have played him.

Cheyenne Autumn has the distinction of being John Ford's final Western (and next-to-last feature film overall), and it's quite the elegiac, melancholy farewell to the genre. It's the tale of the last surviving members of the Cheyenne tribe, who decide to make a 1,500-mile journey from their reservation to their former homeland after being ignored by the U.S. government. It stars Richard Widmark as a sympathetic Union cavalry captain named Thomas Archer, who is charged with the unpleasant task of preventing the Cheyenne's return; Carroll Baker as Deborah, a Quaker woman who is engaged to Archer but nonetheless feels compelled to accompany the Cheyenne and provide aid; Karl Malden as the hidebound, by-the-book Fort Robinson commander Henry W. Wessells Jr., whose inflexibility ultimately leads to tragedy; Ricardo Montalban and Gilbert Roland as Cheyenne tribal leaders Little Wolf and Dull Knife, respectively; Sal Mineo and Patrick Wayne as the two young trigger-happy hotheads on either side of the conflict; Edward G. Robinson as the Secretary of the Interior; and Dolores del Río as the Mineo character's mother (mysteriously not given any other name other than "Spanish Woman" ) Interestingly enough, the screenplay was written by James R. Webb, who also wrote the screenplay for How the West Was Won two years earlier (and whose Civil War segment was directed by Ford). That film was basically a celebration of the American pioneer spirit, almost an apologia for the ideal of Manifest Destiny (albeit a sometimes critically barbed one), but Cheyenne Autumn almost feels like the necessary counter-balance to the earlier film, dealing as it does with the Native Americans who have been killed, abused and displaced as a result of U.S. government policy. I think both films would make for a very interesting double bill, and they both complement each other nicely. Not only do both films share the same writer, but four of the same actors: Richard Widmark, Carroll Baker, James Stewart and Karl Malden. I don't necessarily think the movie ranks among Ford's all-time best, and in particular I think the whole Dodge City sequence (with the aforementioned performances by Stewart and Kennedy) is really out of place (although I understand the purpose it serves as a kind of satirical interjection to lighten the mood a little). But I still think it's a worthwhile film, and I would still recommend it for anyone interested in Westerns or just in the overall cinematic oeuvre of John Ford.

I had read really good things about Bone Tomahawk over the years, but I've only just seen it now. And I have to say I'm extremely impressed. Perhaps the ultimate horror / Western hybrid film, dealing as it does with a fearsome tribe of inbred Native Troglodytes who kidnapped the town doctor Samantha O'Dwyer (Lili Simmons) and a sheriff's deputy named Nick. Sheriff Franklin Hunt (Kurt Russell) leads a group of men, including Samantha's injured husband Arthur (Patrick Wilson), on a rescue mission to find them. I suppose that, broadly speaking, you could say that this movie is a cross between John Ford and George A. Romero, but I think perhaps "Howard Hawks meets Wes Craven" might be a better descriptive. I'm very much reminded of Hawks' approach to the Western genre, with its well-rounded, well-written supporting characters and dialogue, as well its ensemble approach, and I'm also very much reminded of something like Craven's original The Hills Have Eyes (1977), with its tale of a family's desperate struggle for survival against a tribe of cannibals living in the mountains of Nevada.

And just this week, the first chapter of Kevin Costner's Horizon saga came out on DVD, Blu-ray and 4K UHD. I actually got the special 4K + Blu-ray combo pack in a steelbook package sold by Walmart. Alas, it doesn't have any bonus features (), but I'm just very happy to own the movie, bare bones and all. I've actually seen Chapter 1 twice in its theatrical run, and I'm keen to support Costner's gradually unfolding dream project in any way I can. I was incredibly disappointed in its lackluster reception at the box office (although at my local theater it attracted a pretty big crowd, even at the second showing I caught), and I sincerely hope that Costner can actually complete his saga and find some effective way of promoting the later chapters better and bringing it to those who would be interested in seeing it. One thing's for sure, whenever the next chapters of Horizon come out, I'll be at the theater on opening day. (Fingers crossed...)

"I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours" - Bob Dylan, Talkin' World War III Blues (1963)

Speak No Evil (2024) This is a significant improvement over the original 2022 film. It's more entertaining, more satisfying, and more believable. James McAvoy is wonderfully menacing here and Mackenzie Davis is quite good too. Alix West Lefler and Dan Hough provide strong supporting performances. For me, this is director James Watkins's best film.

Speak No Evil (2024) This is a significant improvement over the original 2022 film. It's more entertaining, more satisfying, and more believable. James McAvoy is wonderfully menacing here and Mackenzie Davis is quite good too. Alix West Lefler and Dan Hough provide strong supporting performances. For me, this is director James Watkins's best film.
That's interesting. I thought that the trailer made it look almost comically terrible, and McAvoy's performance in particularly looked very scenery-chewing.

That's interesting. I thought that the trailer made it look almost comically terrible, and McAvoy's performance in particularly looked very scenery-chewing.
I didn't like the trailers for it, but the end result was entertaining and effective. McAvoy does a good job walking the line between villainous and scenery chewing and it worked for me.