Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Speak No Evil (2024)

I generally don't have a very high opinion of most American remakes of films from other countries; most of them aren't necessary and they seldom capture what made the original so special in the first place.
Having come in with lowered expectations, I did find James Watkins's version of Speak No Evil to be thoroughly watchable, with better-than-average turns from James McAvoy and Mackenzie Davis - they're both great in almost everything, so it would be hard not to enjoy a film in which they both crank it up and go to town with it.
I'm not going to compare this to Gćsterne as that would be unfair; the majority of people watching the remake probably have never even heard of the Danish movie on which it is based.
One thing to keep in mind is that this is definitely very much a slow-burn movie for most of its running time, so if you're expecting things to start going sideways fairly soon, you might be a bit disappointed.
With that in mind, I think the film earns its running time, as ultimately it feels like you've really spent some time in an environment that you can see would almost be a place you feel you could relax in... but with something you can't quite name maybe causing you to stop and wonder.

I had read really good things about Bone Tomahawk over the years, but I've only just seen it now. And I have to say I'm extremely impressed. Perhaps the ultimate horror / Western hybrid film, dealing as it does with a fearsome tribe of inbred Native Troglodytes who kidnapped the town doctor Samantha O'Dwyer (Lili Simmons) and a sheriff's deputy named Nick. Sheriff Franklin Hunt (Kurt Russell) leads a group of men, including Samantha's injured husband Arthur (Patrick Wilson), on a rescue mission to find them. I suppose that, broadly speaking, you could say that this movie is a cross between John Ford and George A. Romero, but I think perhaps "Howard Hawks meets Wes Craven" might be a better descriptive. I'm very much reminded of Hawks' approach to the Western genre, with its well-rounded, well-written supporting characters and dialogue, as well its ensemble approach, and I'm also very much reminded of something like Craven's original The Hills Have Eyes (1977), with its tale of a family's desperate struggle for survival against a tribe of cannibals living in the mountains of Nevada.
Now that you mention Hawks, I find Richard Jenkins' turn here very much like what a Walter Brennan would've given today.

El Candidato Honesto

Here's an honest statement: I can't recall the last time I saw a "comedy" as completely unfunny as El Candidato Honesto, a Mexican movie now being shown in some US theaters.
Why this was released to theaters at all, here or in Mexico, is a deeply puzzling question that perhaps nobody could ever accurately answer. With presidential elections this year in both countries, perhaps it was seen as an easy cash grab?
According to the end credits, this is a remake of the Brazilian movie O Candidato Honesto, which to the best of my knowledge never played in the US and does not appear to be streaming anywhere.
That film, apparently, was loosely inspired by Liar Liar. So, if you watch that movie, you'll probably see something far funnier than this uninspired mess, which somehow not only looks consistently ugly, it also manages to make Mexico City look like a thoroughly uninteresting place - which it definitely is not.

Merchant Ivory

Merchant Ivory is an absolute knockout, and an absolute must-see for anyone who has ever enjoyed the Merchant Ivory films.
Were it not for the fact that Made in England was released around the same time, this would easily have been the best documentary about legendary filmmaking teams released in 2024.
But both documentaries are great in their own unique way; and this one benefits from the incredible amount of interviews (both new and archival) with the protagonists and most of the people who worked with them over the years.
I knew next to nothing about Merchant and Ivory for most of the time when I was enjoying their films; the fact that they were a couple for most of their careers simply wasn't something most moviegoers talked about.
Other things that I absolutely didn't know about their filmmaking team include the fact that James Ivory grew up on the West Coast (and went to college in Oregon) and that their frequent collaborator Ruth Prawer Jhabvala was a German-born émigré.
The documentary is just filled with even more astounding information about the couple and their film company, and makes it easy to see why this really has to be considered one of the most formidable filmmaking teams of all time.

I forgot the opening line.

By The poster art can or could be obtained from Warner Bros.., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=1620148

Vision Quest - (1985)

This movie is called Crazy For You in Australia, but imagine my surprise when "Vision Quest" came up in the opening credits. We normally change the title in the actual credits when a movie is retitled, but I guess nobody could be buggered to do it this time around. The reason for the change was that Madonna's chart topping "Crazy For You" had hit big by then, and it sold the movie a little better. Madonna herself is in this very formulaic coming-of-age sports movie, or at least, she sings in a nightclub - her first appearance in a film as Madonna and not Louise Ciccone. Forest Whitaker also has a small part, but pretty much exists in the background (his character's name is "Balldozer".) Great soundtrack - but oh boy, do they decide to go with all of the cheesy clichés with gusto here. The speech from the coach, the friend living with an abusive dad, the love interest (Linda Fiorentino) who wrestling high school student Louden Swain (a young Matthew Modine) thinks is going out with his teacher, prompting him to go nuts, whereupon Linda gives him a bloodied nose that threatens to derail his make-or-break wrestling match. Will he win, or will this film go against every other sports film in movie history? There's lots of pinning and grunting and flipping - Ronny Cox plays the dad, and while I can't fault much, this is pretty bland. I now have "Crazy For You" going around and around and around in my head - I can't stop it.

6/10

By IMP Awards, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=64490473

She Dies Tomorrow - (2020)

We live in a world that functions the way it does because we put the thought of the inevitability of our death aside, and distracting ourselves from that reality is the only way we move forward and exist as constructive members of society. That in itself is an interesting topic to base a film around, and so as a concept I really liked Amy Seimetz's movie a lot. Full review here, in my watchlist thread.

7/10

Latest Review : Double Down (2005)

Umpteenth Rewatch....Rewatched the theatrical version of this on You Tube tonight and noticed a major addition to the original film. The film originally opened with photographs of Cosby's five children, including his late son Ennis, in silence, but the version I watched tonight, the photographs were underscored by a very funny song sung by Cosby himself. For those of you who are still able to separate the man from the artist, there is still a lot of funny stuff here that still makes me laugh out loud.

PAPRIKA
(2006, Kon)

"Science is nothing but a piece of trash before a profound dream."

Paprika follows different groups that are trying to bridge that gap between dreams and science. There's the scientists that developed a device – the DC Mini – that allows them to actually view other people's dreams, to a mysterious "terrorist" that has stolen one of these to somehow become all-powerful. Somewhere in between, there's the titular character, Paprika, a dream alter-ego of scientist Atsuko Chiba (Megumi Hayashibara) who has been using the DC Mini "off the grid" to help some patients.

This was a recommendation from an online friend and my first film from Satoshi Kon. I've never considered myself an anime guy, but I decided to give it a shot. The film has many of the trademarks I usually associate with anime, but it is also a very unique premise that is also executed in a unique way. Paprika moves at a pace that makes you feel like the characters of the film, as if you were catching up on everything. As the manifestations of these dreams keep growing, the story becomes more weird and bizarre and it's interesting to try to figure out what's going on.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot

All-time great VHS box on the wall at a family-owned video store.

Umpteenth Rewatch....Rewatched rhe theatrical version of this on You Tube tonight and noticed a major addition to the original film. The film originally opened with photographs of Cosby's five children, including his late son Ennis, in silence, but the version I watched tonight, the photographs were underscored by a very funny song sung by Cosby himself. For those of you who are still able to separate the man from the artist, there is still a lot of funny stuff here that still makes me laugh out loud.
We didn’t have cable growing up. Even if we did, we wouldn’t have had HBO. But a guy my dad worked with did and he would record HBO. This is how I saw Making the Grade 🥳 and this.

It stands side-by-side with Delirious as the best standup special I’ve ever seen. Both problematic in their own way, but also legendary.

TWISTERS
(2024, Chung)

"You don't face your fears, you ride 'em."

Set in the same universe but barely referencing the original, Twisters follows Oklahoma native Kate (Daisy Edgar-Jones), a young tornado chaser and aspiring meteorologist with "a gift" to predict storms and tornadoes. When tragedy strikes her team during an intense tornado, she relocates to New York City to work for NOAA. That is until her friend and former colleague Javi (Anthony Ramos) lures her back to her hometown to help him with his new storm chasing company.

Overall, Twisters does what most sequels do; go bigger, as the title implies. This doesn't always equate to quality, but that doesn't mean that Twisters is not without its strengths. First of all, I found it interesting how the film puts our hero into what is essentially Cary Elwes team in the original. Javi is definitely not a bad guy, but his company follows the stereotypical "evil corporate" trope full of nameless/faceless drones. All while they look down at Tyler Owens (Glen Powell) ragtag team of colorful tornado chasers, which is pretty much a proxy of Helen Hunt's team.

Grade:

Vision Quest - (1985)

This movie is called Crazy For You in Australia, but imagine my surprise when "Vision Quest" came up in the opening credits. We normally change the title in the actual credits when a movie is retitled, but I guess nobody could be buggered to do it this time around. The reason for the change was that Madonna's chart topping "Crazy For You" had hit big by then, and it sold the movie a little better. ...

... I now have "Crazy For You" going around and around and around in my head - I can't stop it.

6/10
I never associated Madonna's song with this movie. It was always this one ...

Jessica Forever, 2018

In an undefined near future, male orphans are violently hunted down and killed by a government controlled army of drones. Coming to their rescue is Jessica (Aomi Muyock), the leader of a group of abandoned young men. Constantly on the run, Jessica and her crew attempt to create space for the young men to overcome their trauma and integrate into society.

An outlandish premise and a handful of stunning visual moments don’t quite give this sci-fi drama the emotional resonance it seems to be chasing.

FULL REVIEW

The Killer's Game

Imagine a hitman movie so atrocious, it manages to make Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard seem like Citizen Kane.

Yes, the new Dave Bautista movie is, unfortunately, just as dumb (or if you can imagine it, even dumber) than the trailers made it seem.

It's a movie so bad, that it somehow makes you appreciate the relative sophistication of the usual yahoo action fare that Netflix cranks out with the regularity of a Swiss clock.

The movie also criminally wastes the talent of very charismatic performers like Pom Klementieff and Sofia Boutella, as well as Oscar-winner Ben Kingsley.

(How sad is it that the movie serves as an unofficial reunion for 3 of the most appealing cast members of the MCU?)

Don't be surprised if this one gets several Razzie nominations - although it is of course just as likely that the movie will soon be completely forgotten.

I forgot the opening line.

By http://www.impawards.com/2024/rebel_ridge_ver2_xlg.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=77565550

Rebel Ridge - (2024)

One of the big issues that attracted me to Rebel Ridge was the whole "civil forfeiture" thing, which is a good idea in principle but so open to corruption (and indeed, encourages corruption) that it inevitably authors it's own horror stories. That gets a little lost in the way Rebel Ridge progresses into something of a conventionally structured thriller, but I like that the idea is there. Aaron Pierre is new to me - I've seen Old, but I can't quite place him in that movie - his eyes convey the inner strength and determination he has to project, and are piercing. Don Johnson has found new life for himself as a crooked, corrupt and overconfident police chief - the best role I've seen him in during this latest incarnation of his career. AnnaSophia Robb is given a lot to do in this, and isn't sidelined by her two costars. It's a really solid, satisfying, engaging thriller - and people who are about to go postal should watch carefully, because Terry Richmond (Pierre) unleashes his righteous fury in ways that are ingenious for the way they uphold strict moral standards all the while. It flew by, considering it's lengthy running time.

7/10

PULGASARI
(1985, Shin)

"Everyone, as long as Pulgasari is with us, our victory is assured!"

Set in feudal Korea, Pulgasari follows the titular creature, a Godzilla-like kaiju created by an imprisoned blacksmith and brought to life by his daughter, Ami (Chang Son Hui), creating a bond with her. Pulgasari then becomes an ally of the rebels against the region's oppressive ruler. Although the premise might not sound overly special, it is the story behind the production of the film what sets it apart.

Pulgasari's director, Shin Sang-ok, had been kidnapped along with his wife, by North Korea's "Supreme Leader" Kim Jong Il. An avid cinephile himself, Kim wanted the filmmaking couple to make propaganda films for the nation. Pulgasari ended up being Shin's last film for the ruler, before he escaped in 1986. As a result, Kim removed his name from the credits and the film was banned for several years.

Grade:

A Simple Plan - 1998

Never heard of this flick. Slipped through the cracks on me...I know most 90s films, especially with decently famous actors. The premise of the movie was excellent, very provocative. It wavered back and forth from being a good flick to a silly one. It straddled it quite impressively to me.

I guess Billy Bob Thorton and his buddy in the movie did ok. I think his buddy in the movie was a little heavy handed in his delivery. Not an ounce of a redeeming quality in him. Billy Bob's character wasn't very consistent to me. He was suppose to be slow I think but then he would have moments he would figure things out before Paxton. I could feel him acting a bit in some scenes then others he was great. I think the problem was his character just didn't feel consistent to me.

The film is super intriguing because you sort of ask yourself what would you do if you found a bag of money? Anyways the ending was a really good scene up to a point and then I ended up laughing, it was sort of pointless lol. Very cool premise and super provocative but I felt a little shaky in the execution of the plot. Possibly why it didn't quite endure like most 90s films. Movie felt like a streaky shooter in basketball...would make like 8 baskets in a row then go ice cold. I'll be a little harsh but could improve on a repeat watch.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)