A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

I finally got around to seeing April Fool's Day last night and enjoyed it. (I believe this was a @Wooley recommendation.)
Yes the big reveal is a bit far-fetched but I just rolled with it.
Spoilers:

I was a bit distracted for the first 20 minutes playing a game of "who's that guy?" but it was fun seeing some familiar faces. Biff! Wooley's favorite Final Girl! That James Brown dude from Just One of the Guys!
As someone who struggles with a lot of slasher stuff I can see myself rewatching this one. Fun times.

Victim of The Night
I finally got around to seeing April Fool's Day last night and enjoyed it. (I believe this was a @Wooley recommendation.)
Yes the big reveal is a bit far-fetched but I just rolled with it.
Spoilers:

I was a bit distracted for the first 20 minutes playing a game of "who's that guy?" but it was fun seeing some familiar faces. Biff! Wooley's favorite Final Girl! That James Brown dude from Just One of the Guys!
As someone who struggles with a lot of slasher stuff I can see myself rewatching this one. Fun times.
Fun little movie.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...-announcement/

​Shudder is adding all of Rob Zombie's horror movies this year, interesting.

I finally got around to seeing April Fool's Day last night and enjoyed it.
While I don't remember a ton of details, I do remember thinking it was really fun. Probably due for a rewatch. Also: great poster.

The trick is not minding
Criterion released their October lineup. Spiderbaby, The Waiking, The Babadook, Japanese Horror Collection, Witches collection. A few horror films from Kiyoshi Kurosawa scattered about, although Sweet Home is left out and would have been nice to see.

You’ll Never Find Me, 2023

Patrick (Brendan Rock) lives alone in a run-down trailer, where one stormy night a drenched visitor (Jordan Cowan) knocks at his door. Trapped by the unrelenting storm, the two strangers engage in stilted conversation as an unspoken tension builds between the two.

Doesn’t quite manage to break the mold, but it does what it does really well for a really gripping first two acts.

FULL REVIEW

Criterion released their October lineup. Spiderbaby, The Waiking, The Babadook, Japanese Horror Collection, Witches collection. A few horror films from Kiyoshi Kurosawa scattered about, although Sweet Home is left out and would have been nice to see.
The Babadook is also being re-released theatrically

End of Days 1999 isn't nearly as bad as I've been led to believe through the years. I saw it again after like 20 years and it's not too shabby at all. A bit corny at times, but there's some great material in there; the weird sex scene, Arnold in kind of role that's pretty rare to see him in, etc. The biggest issue is that the director didn't learn anything from making Relic 2 years prior, another movie where you can't see jack because someone forgot to turn on the lights. I would give this a B for running a bit long.

Victim of The Night
Takoma, are you around? Your Inbox is full and I can't respond to your message. Get your house in order!

Takoma, are you around? Your Inbox is full and I can't respond to your message. Get your house in order!
What an outrageous accusation!

Yes, I'm around. I'm on my couch doing an A+ job of having COVID and zero energy (just like I have been doing since Sunday night) and I definitely didn't just delete 7 messages from my inbox.

Just rewatched the Truth or Dare movie again and, wouldn't you know it, it's a lot better than I remembered. The characters are neat, their conflicts make sense, and the demon truth or dare game is really neat in how it develops. The last part, minus the endig itself, is stupid, but the movie overall is a B+. This is clearly the superior smile-based horror movie of the two I've seen.

Also The Descent 2 is a hard skip. Especially if you liked the first one, I reckon.

Just rewatched the Truth or Dare movie again and, wouldn't you know it, it's a lot better than I remembered. The characters are neat, their conflicts make sense, and the demon truth or dare game is really neat in how it develops. The last part, minus the endig itself, is stupid, but the movie overall is a B+. This is clearly the superior smile-based horror movie of the two I've seen.
Good to know!

Also The Descent 2 is a hard skip. Especially if you liked the first one, I reckon.
I haven't seen it, and I sort of pretend it doesn't exist.

My city's downtown theater screens horror classics in October and they have a good lineup this year. Which one begs to be seen in one? Partial or full rankings are also appreciated.

A Nightmare on Elm Street
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1920)
Friday the 13th
I Know What You Did Last Summer
Poltergeist
Rocky Horror Picture Show
Scream
Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Everyone should go see the Substance. Critics keep saying Cronenberg and pointing out its visual/audio references to Kubrick, Lynch, and Hitchcock.

But those are just set dressing. The soul of this film is Yuzna and Gordon.

It’s a masterpiece.

My city's downtown theater screens horror classics in October and they have a good lineup this year. Which one begs to be seen in one? Partial or full rankings are also appreciated.

Friday the 13th
I Know What You Did Last Summer
Poltergeist
Scream
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
I don’t think you can go wrong with any of these really. Personally I’d kill to see Scream or TCM in theaters. But maybe pick your favorite or the one you think you won’t get another opportunity to see in theaters again.

I don’t think you can go wrong with any of these really. Personally I’d kill to see Scream or TCM in theaters. But maybe pick your favorite or the one you think you won’t get another opportunity to see in theaters again.
Texas Chainsaw Massacre was my first thought.

Rocky Horror is a ton of fun, but that's one that is a bit easier to find on the big screen.

V/H/S 85 is likely the one I would rank as the worst of the franchise. The first segment had an interesting idea of a horrible situation, but, like every other segment, drags and ends up being high on gore and short on ideas. But mostly is the dragging. These shorts are all unjustifiably long for what they give you.

Victim of The Night

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Poltergeist

Friday the 13th

Scream

I've seen the first three in the theater fairly recently and was very glad I did. As great as the other two are/were and as much as I love them personally, Texas Chainsaw in the theater was the one I might pick if you could only do one of these. It was just awesome.

I watched Poltergeist in a conference room with theater-style seating and a big drop-down screen with projector a few years ago and enjoyed that a lot.

Haven't seen F13 in the theater but would love to.

Scream in the theater again seems like it could be fun.

I love the '20 J&H and would be happy to see it in the theater but I expect I'd prioritize that maybe a little lower.

I could barely sit through I Know What You Did Last Summer AT HOME recently so I don't know if I'd recommend seeing it in the theater.