Nosferatu - 2024

Tools    

I'm sure it will be great. I'll just keep my expectations in check as I watch it. Also, I love Herzog's version, but I can't say the same about Murnau's version. I don't think it will be that hard for Eggers' version to be better than at least one of those films.

I'm sure it will be great. I'll just keep my expectations in check as I watch it. Also, I love Herzog's version, but I can't say the same about Murnau's version. I don't think it will be that hard for Eggers' version to be better than at least one of those films.
*sends a plague of rats to Speling's house*

The Guy Who Sees Movies
My recollection of Ole' Drac also includes seeing, some time back a while ago, surprisingly on PBS, a mini-series version of Dracula that had Louis Jourdan as the vampire. I was not sure whether my recollection was right, but it was run a bunch of times, having been split into episodes several different ways. My memory was that it made some references to the Nosferatu and Vlad the Impaler versions of Dracula, although it was mainly in the cape-and-fang genre.

My recollection is that it also featured so-called Gypsy/Roma that fell out of the Dracula story in recent times for probably PC reasons, but that figured prominently in the book. Having some of that ancestry in my own family, I did find it entertaining to see my great-great-great-great-grandfather moving Dracula's coffin.

That one, orange-tinted image, posted by Yoda, by itself, looks better than most entire vampire movies, so I'm ready to give it a go.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Count_Dracula_(1977_film)

I'm kind of set against this before seeing more because who remakes one of the greatest films ever made?

Werner Herzog for one. I actually prefer his version to Murnau's, though I acknowledge that is not the majority opinion.

I heard they were going to remake Vertigo, and I was like "Seriously? Even for Hollywood, that's some massive hubris."

Hope I'm wrong of course!

I've gotten the vibe that this is something of a passion project for Eggers (and less than an idea that came out of the general sense of "Hollywood". I've been hearing about this being something he's been pursuing for years. From probably before The Northman, but my memory isn't the greatest).

That said, yeah, wanting to try to remake it does seem questionable in its wisdom, but if one tries to think of who could conceivably have a take on the movie that would both feel true to the spirit of the film and be doing something new and interesting, the combination of the tonal and aesthetic sensibilities in The VVitch and The Lighthouse hits that small window for me. So, fingers crossed.

ETA: technically De Palma has remade Vertigo twice. One was a much more direct remake.

The Guy Who Sees Movies
No....Murnau's will remain a classic because it's silent, long ago and so weird in its weirdness. It lives in that whole post-WWI, pre nazi, Weimar universe, with hints of old-time Holy Roman Empire/Germany, in a mythic landscape of post-medieval scenery and rural towns where people have pitchforks and village idiots and where mysterious Romani can be fortune tellers.

It will be interesting to see how much of this shows up in a studio-acceptable movie in our era, especially if it harks back to the book, where those mysterious Romani played a large role.

The Guy Who Sees Movies
It's coming. Another remake of that classic, silent horror movie, the first vampire flick, Nosferatu. The original silent version is still one of the creepiest movies I've ever seen, but several other remakes or spinoffs didn't live up to the original. I guess, we will see. They have a tall hill to climb remaking Nosferatu, but if anybody could make it work, it might be director Robert Eggers, with Willem Dafoe, Lily Rose Depp and Bill Skarsgard in the title role. I will be waiting with garlic, cross, holy water, hammer and stake in hand.

shame he's gone down the CGI route.
He's so skilled without it.

This I will watch

Great trailer, I'm enjoying watching Willem Dafoe in all these Robert Eggers films, he was always a good actor but he seems to have improved with age.

Great trailer, I'm enjoying watching Willem Dafoe in all these Robert Eggers films, he was always a good actor but he seems to have improved with age.

I adore DaFoe's acting and I'm ecstatic that he and Eggers are pairing up again.