Welcome To Our Nightmare III: Terror, Wooley... and TAKOMA!

Tools    

Victim of The Night
Last year I did a Hammer deep dive and watched a bunch of their pirate/Robin Hood/Medieval stuff and I feel like I'm more primed for Captain Clegg than I was the first couple of times I saw it. Looking forward to it.
I mean, it could use more Phantoms but 'twill serve.

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
I mean, it could use more Phantoms but 'twill serve.

Affleck was DA BOMB in Phantoms.

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

I'm also trying to watch 31 horror movies this october! I managed to do that once with my mom, years ago. 35 total, I reckon it was. I missed yesterday, but caught two today, so I'm on pace.

I thought I'd explore the video nasties. I'm surprised at having seen a couple without trying already. I caught Blood Feast and man, this kind of movie from the 1960s feels interesting. It's badly made, tasteless trash, but there's some quality to it I can't put my finger on.

Also I watched The Shining again and I like it less every time. Lloyd and Grady carry the whole film. The rest is paper thin.

Victim of The Night
I'm also trying to watch 31 horror movies this october! I managed to do that once with my mom, years ago. 35 total, I reckon it was. I missed yesterday, but caught two today, so I'm on pace.

I thought I'd explore the video nasties. I'm surprised at having seen a couple without trying already. I caught Blood Feast and man, this kind of movie from the 1960s feels interesting. It's badly made, tasteless trash, but there's some quality to it I can't put my finger on.

Also I watched The Shining again and I like it less every time. Lloyd and Grady carry the whole film. The rest is paper thin.
Love the idea. I mean, there's a lot of movies in the "video nasties" that I really like without them being all that nasty by contemporary standards. And they really are an interesting time-capsule and a lot of them have that "quality" you mention.
I have had an up and down relationship with The Shining, though I never thought it was a bad film, but after my last viewing I'm back to "It's a masterpiece."
I actually love Shelley Duvall in the film, I've come to feel like I really understand her performance now and what Kubrick was trying so hard to get out of her and I think she gives a very real performance. Of course I do love Lloyd and Grady too.

The Bloody Vampire (anybody remember the giant bunny-rabbit looking bat I posted pics of in years past?)
This is not the selling point you think it is, lol.

But if you haven't seen Carnival of Souls that's probably my #1 rec.
Seen it, and am very fond of it.

Wait, remind me, you're doing a Horror movie for each year but going backward from 1964?
I started in 2023, and am going backwards in time. HERE's the thread.

Ok, some horror and horror-adjacent...

The Tell-Tale Heart (1953)
The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms (1953)
On the Beach (1959).
These are the ones I haven't seen, thanks!

The White Reindeer (1952)
Seen them all but this one, thanks!

So I already knew this, but actually doing the research has confirmed it. Man, that mid-40s to mid-50s stretch is threadbare.
Tell me about it. It's actually why the thread stalled out for so long. I hit 1964 and the options (at least what was available to me on streaming) was so bare-bones. It was like 4 movies with an average IMDb rating of like 4.2.

Affleck was DA BOMB in Phantoms.

Yeah, it's a lot better than it's score suggests.

Victim of The Night
The Bloody Vampire (anybody remember the giant bunny-rabbit looking bat I posted pics of in years past?)
I had to google it but once I did, yeah, I do.

Now there's one I didn't see coming. Heading over to your thread to read the whole thing.
I also have Il Demonio in my queue, look forward to hearing what you think.

The 1960's Italian one? Since I just came out of the TV Glow question in the Horrorcram thread, I need to warn you that one's not supernatural (I just watched it today). So you might not want it for October, given your preferences.

Victim of The Night
The 1960's Italian one? Since I just came out of the TV Glow question in the Horrorcram thread, I need to warn you that one's not supernatural (I just watched it today). So you might not want it for October, given your preferences.
Thank you!!!

I mean, these are your options for 1950.
House of Usher is good, probably on Youtube somewhere. Jinnistan introduced me to that version years ago.
Jeeze. I tried double-checking imdb with an advanced search just to make sure. Unless there's some gem out there without a horror tag...

The one screencap I just saw of El hombre sin rostro also looked potentially cool.

Jeeze. I tried double-checking imdb with an advanced search just to make sure. Unless there's some gem out there without a horror tag...

The one screencap I just saw of El hombre sin rostro also looked potentially cool.
Yeah I haven't seen it but the monster/villain looks pretty cool

Dragula, Season 6, Episode 1

Wooley said I could do whatever I want in this thread, and hopefully he doesn't regret it!

Last night I watched the first episode of the latest season of Dragula, the horror-themed drag competition run by the Boulet Brothers.

The costuming, prop, and effects work done by the performers on this show never ceases to impress me. (Okay, yes, there are always a few flops, but on the average it is really solid). The challenge in this first episode was to reinvent a horror icon. The image up top is Asia Consent's take on Art the Clown.

Overall I really enjoyed the concepts, which ranged from a new take on Pinhead to a modern interpretation of Dracula. It always makes me laugh a little that most of the performances are too extreme to broadcast, so you sort of have to connect the dots yourself.

If you aren't into reality TV type drama, I recommend just fast-forwarding to the last 25 minutes of the episode for some of the workroom conversations and the floor show. (I often actually skip the endurance tests at the end because they make me too uncomfortable to watch).

This was a really fun way to start October. The old married couple banter between the Boulets is so endearing. I also think they give really interesting feedback and thoughts about what makes something impactful or horrifying.

The whole series is on Shudder.

Victim of The Night

Dragula, Season 6, Episode 1

Wooley said I could do whatever I want in this thread, and hopefully he doesn't regret it!

Last night I watched the first episode of the latest season of Dragula, the horror-themed drag competition run by the Boulet Brothers.

The costuming, prop, and effects work done by the performers on this show never ceases to impress me. (Okay, yes, there are always a few flops, but on the average it is really solid). The challenge in this first episode was to reinvent a horror icon. The image up top is Asia Consent's take on Art the Clown.

Overall I really enjoyed the concepts, which ranged from a new take on Pinhead to a modern interpretation of Dracula. It always makes me laugh a little that most of the performances are too extreme to broadcast, so you sort of have to connect the dots yourself.

If you aren't into reality TV type drama, I recommend just fast-forwarding to the last 25 minutes of the episode for some of the workroom conversations and the floor show. (I often actually skip the endurance tests at the end because they make me too uncomfortable to watch).

This was a really fun way to start October. The old married couple banter between the Boulets is so endearing. I also think they give really interesting feedback and thoughts about what makes something impactful or horrifying.

The whole series is on Shudder.
Love it. Glad you're here, frankly this is just the sort of breath of fresh air we probably needed around here.
As a matter of fact, I watched The Boulet Brothers Halfway To Halloween TV Special some months ago because of your praise of them and their... thing.

Love it. Glad you're here, frankly this is just the sort of breath of fresh air we probably needed around here.
As a matter of fact, I watched The Boulet Brothers Halfway To Halloween TV Special some months ago because of your praise of them and their... thing.
I appreciate you checking it out. The special was a bit different from how the show usually is, but I also think that their affection for all types of horror content is really clear.

Victim of The Night
I appreciate you checking it out. The special was a bit different from how the show usually is, but I also think that their affection for all types of horror content is really clear.
Well, the only reason I didn't check it out before is that I absolutely loathe reality television with all of my heart and soul. There's basically no thing that I can love enough that a reality TV take on it can't ruin.
But the Halloween Special gave me a taste of them and who they are and what their vibe is without me having to endure that. I actually enjoyed it a good bit. I mean, I'm from New Orleans, I've been surrounded by drag queens my whole life. It's always been an art-form down here going back to at least the 1950s.

Well, the only reason I didn't check it out before is that I absolutely loathe reality television with all of my heart and soul. There's basically no thing that I can love enough that a reality TV take on it can't ruin.
But the Halloween Special gave me a taste of them and who they are and what their vibe is without me having to endure that. I actually enjoyed it a good bit. I mean, I'm from New Orleans, I've been surrounded by drag queens my whole life. It's always been an art-form down here going back to at least the 1950s.
Yes, the reality TV part of it is easily my least favorite parts.

I will say, however, that some of the conversations between contestants---on a whole range of topic---have been really interesting. But you never know if you're going to get an eye-opening conversation about what it's like to be transgender in China, or if it's going to be 5 minutes of "What do you think she meant when she said she didn't think I was a threat?". I think that there's nothing wrong with fast-forwarding past all the drama just to the floor shows to see the costumes and performances. In season 2 there's a challenge where they do horror characters set in a ghost town and I absolutely loved it and will sometimes go back just for that "floor show".

They also net some really fun and interesting judges.

Also I finished Il Demonio and woof. Really intense. It's definitely more in the lane of social drama horror, though it has several upsetting and scary/spooky sequences.