Francis Ford Coppola's Megalopolis

Tools    

On Letterboxd, the ratings are starting to show a clear winner. Although most of the ratings are still even, there's a clear winner in the 2-star section. The most popular review is a joke five-star review about watching it when you're high. I really suggest you read it.

"YALL ARE WRONG
You see you gotta go into the movie the same way as Francis Ford Coppola, blazed out of your ****ing mind. You gotta meet him on the same plane, the same level of thinking. Hitting the cart 6 times before entering the showing like I did.

And only then will you find out this is the best anti drug PSA ever

This movie genuinely made me want to avoid weed for as long as I live. If this movie is any indication on what smoking for two years straight has done to my mind then holy shit. I’m ****ing scared sober.

There is unbelievable levels of self sucking going on here that you know what, I respect. To push your life to get your dream project done is absolutely admirable even if the final product is doo doo from a butt. To put an end to your regrets as you reach the finish line of life by completing your final dream. For that very reason I have to applaud a man so driven to see it through even if it makes absolutely no sense to the hundreds of millions that are [not] watching this movie.

Everything just makes no sense. There’s microsoft powerpoint title cards, the acting is so inconsistently directed, the ending just happens like they accidentally deleted a scene. I found myself just thoroughly entertained by the sheer level of insanity on display with a budget that only a psycho would put their money against.

This shit is ass but I laughed. But also not ass and endearing? Idk maybe the 5 stars ironic maybe they’re not you’ll never know
Also the cgi in this reminded me of Ninja Sex Party music videos
Also Francis Ford Coppola would love Epcot bro like just make a trip or somethin"

https://letterboxd.com/film/megalopolis-2024/
THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for sharing this masterpiece of a review.

Whatever FilmBuff saw

No, there aren't actually two, as far as I'm aware. I'd put money on a director's cut in the future, though.
A director's cut is definitely possible, Coppola has done that a lot. At the very least he could include some deleted scenes in the blu-ray!

A director's cut is definitely possible, Coppola has done that a lot. At the very least he could include some deleted scenes in the blu-ray!
We don't really need a director's cut, though. The movie is forceful in the "it is what it is" department. Add the fact that it essentially pulled off everything it wanted to do and the only flaw being an occasional cheesy line, a director's cut of this feels pointless.

I believe this is a new poster

BOX OFFICE TOP TEN (Three-Day Domestic Numbers)
1. Joker: Folie à Deux – $40 million ($40 million total, $121.1 million WW)
2. The Wild Robot – $18.7 million ($64 million total, $100.4 million WW)
3. Beetlejuice Beetlejuice – $10.3 million ($265.5 million total, $402.6 million WW)
4. Transformers One – $5.4 million ($47.2 million total, $97 million WW)
5. Speak No Evil – $2.8 million ($32.6 million total, $67.4 million WW)
6. Sam and Colby: The Legends of the Paranormal – $2.1 million ($2.1 million total, $2.1 million WW)
7. White Bird – $1.5 million ($1.5 million total, $4.6 million WW)
8. Deadpool & Wolverine – $1.5 million ($633.8 million total, $1.329 billion WW)
9. The Substance – $1.3 million ($9.7 million total, $16.6 million WW)
10. Megalopolis – $1.1 million ($6.5 million total, $7.4 million WW)

70% Week 2 drop...this is officially one of the biggest flops in cinema history, Everyone might talk about Joker but Joker will break even, Megalopolis on the other hand.

Wasn't expecting Joker 2 to do that good, what with word of mouth saying it's a total disappointment, but maybe the direction and acting have replay value?

The trick is not minding
I never said that, but I still didn't expect it to be that popular.
Wasn’t really directed at you in particular. Just an aside whenever box office totals are posted in general.

Wasn’t really directed at you in particular. Just an aside whenever box office totals are posted in general.
Ah.

Personally, Megalopolis' ranking actually does surprise me... in the sense that it even made top ten. This is way too auteur of a film to really draw the masses. The overabundance of fancy effects might've tried to give off a blockbuster vibe, but it played its part too well, and people could see that it would ring of pretentiousness. The name "Coppola" isn't a selling point anymore. He might have a better shot if he directed films under the name "Nic Cage's Uncle."

Kermode doesn't do much ranting anymore but he made an exception for Megalopolis.

So, even if the film is as bad as he says it is, at least we got a fun review.

The trick is not minding
Ah.

Personally, Megalopolis' ranking actually does surprise me... in the sense that it even made top ten. This is way too auteur of a film to really draw the masses. The overabundance of fancy effects might've tried to give off a blockbuster vibe, but it played its part too well, and people could see that it would ring of pretentiousness. The name "Coppola" isn't a selling point anymore. He might have a better shot if he directed films under the name "Nic Cage's Uncle."
Todays masses are more inclined to watch Marvel movies or the next Fast and the Furious. Their loss, really.
There isn’t anything pretentious about this film. It’s not pretending to be anything then what it is.

There isn’t anything pretentious about this film. It’s not pretending to be anything then what it is.
Exactly, and tbh we could use a lot more experimental filmmaking, particularly of the big-budget type, but that's hardly likely to come from the studios.

At a time when audiences almost invariably respond primarily to big IP, sequels, reboots and that kind of things, I think a little bit of originality goes a very long way.