The MoFo Top 100 Musicals Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Tommy is one I haven't seen, but it's on the list in my head somewhere. The Who isn't a top band for me, but I like them well enough, so I imagine I'd enjoy the film. Rocketman being another one of those biopics I haven't bothered with it. Elton John is good but I'm more likely to listen to one of his albums or even watch him on The Muppet Show. Maybe someday, but no rush.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Didn’t care too much for Rocketman but I thought it was okay. I did admire that it wanted to be more different and daring with it than just another boring biopic. But it was never a contender for my list.

Haven’t seen Tommy.

Two more that I haven't seen!

SEEN: 2/10
MY BALLOT: 0/25

My ballot  

Stats: Pit Stop #1

Now that we've hit the first pit stop (90), here are some stats:

Decade Breakdown
  • 1920s = 0
  • 1930s = 1
  • 1940s = 1
  • 1950s = 0
  • 1960s = 1
  • 1970s = 1
  • 1980s = 2
  • 1990s = 1
  • 2000s = 1
  • 2010s = 1
  • 2020s = 1

Very even first batch of films, although strange that still nothing from the 1950s. What decade do you think will end up ruling?

Also, no point in doing a director breakdown cause there have been no repeats so far.

Society researcher, last seen in Medici's Florence
I was pretty sure that Rocketman (2019) will appear here but I've expected it at around #50. I've again had the wrong impression that it is very popular in the forum.

Whatever it be, this movie got 10 pts from me, landing at #16 on my ballot.

Very well done filming, colorful, entertaining and above everything is the brilliant Taron Egerton.
---

Trouble with a capital "T"
I was pretty sure that Rocketman (2019) will appear here but I've expected it at around #50. I've again had the wrong impression that it is very popular in the forum...
MoFo's mostly hate bio pics, mostly.

Society researcher, last seen in Medici's Florence
Me at Pit Stop .90

Heard 5/10
Seen 3/10
Ballot 3/10
  • #99 - The Meaning of Life (1983) [#7]
  • #97 - Amadeus (1984) [#9]
  • #91 - Rocketman (2019) [#16]

My early prediction on what movies might make top 10. Not in order btw, just guesses.
1. La La Land - Even though I haven't seen it I'm rooting for this to be #1.
2. Singin in the Rain
3. Grease
4. The Sound of Music
5. West Side Story
6. Rocky Horror
7. Cabaret
8. Chicago
9. The Wizard of Oz
10. Mary Poppins

@Thursday Next - Good job on the movie template style btw, it looks good.

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

My early prediction on what movies might make top 10. Not in order btw, just guesses.
1. La La Land - Even though I haven't seen it I'm rooting for this to be #1.
2. Singin in the Rain
3. Grease
4. The Sound of Music
5. West Side Story
6. Rocky Horror
7. Cabaret
8. Chicago
9. The Wizard of Oz
10. Mary Poppins
Those are good guesses. But I gotta ask, why are you rooting for La La Land if you haven't seen it?

Is LaLa Land really that popular around here?
I'm not the person to know as I don't read all the threads or anything. But I think La La Land has a lot of familiarity name support in the countdown from people who haven't seen many musicals but have seen it. So I expect it to do well but hope it's not number one Even though I did enjoy the movie, I didn't vote for it.

Saw Tommy a long time ago at the cinema and had a great time with it. Being a Ken Russell film, of course it was wonky and kooky (are those the same thing?) but less so than his other films. Being an Elton John fan, of course his version of "Pinball Wizard" was my favorite song and sequence in the movie.

Rocketman (again, being an Elton fan) I thought was an excellent biopic and I think Taron Egerton was awesome. Egerton can do no wrong for me, at least in the films I've seen him in. So, love both films, but put neither on my ballot.

So far:
#1. On the Town
#25. Neptune's Daughter (one-pointer)

Those are good guesses. But I gotta ask, why are you rooting for La La Land if you haven't seen it?
Gotta give support to my girl Emma Stone . not a big fan of musicals, maybe one day I'll give the movie a watch

Gotta give support to my girl Emma Stone . not a big fan of musicals, maybe one day I'll give the movie a watch
Ah Emma, I see! I understand too I'm rooting for Vera-Ellen in White Christmas myself

Ah Emma, I see! I understand too I'm rooting for Vera-Ellen in White Christmas myself
Love Vera-Ellen. Fell for her the first time I saw her as "Miss Turnstiles" in On the Town and have loved her in everything I've seen her in since. There is one film on my ballot that she appears in but it's just for one sequence but she's never been so drop-dead sexy as in that film! Hope it shows.