Joker 2 (Folie à Deux)

Tools    

Didn't much care for the first one so this could always be a lateral move or even an improvement.
Same and it is.

Agreed

It should be interesting to see how steeply it falls off on the 2nd weekend, the industry is widely expecting the new Terrifier movie to kick Joker down to 2nd place.

It's sad. Although I find the first movie to be a little bit overrated because I didn't see it as the masterpiece that some did, I found it to be very good and a genuinely unique take on the character. So, to see the sequel, which is very likely to be the last in this series, fall so far from its predecessor, and to be such a radical departure in terms of the feel and tone and style of the first film, it just feels like it was a misguided missed opportunity that was conceptually never going to work from the very beginning. It didn't have to be that way.

It's sad. Although I find the first movie to be a little bit overrated because I didn't see it as the masterpiece that some did, I found it to be very good and a genuinely unique take on the character. So, to see the sequel, which is very likely to be the last in this series, fall so far from its predecessor, and to be such a radical departure in terms of the feel and tone and style of the first film, it just feels like it was a misguided missed opportunity that was conceptually never going to work from the very beginning. It didn't have to be that way.
It also didn't have to cost $200m - including $50m for the director and two stars.

I genuinely don't think any movie should cost $200 million to make. The movies of 30 years ago had much stronger characters and stories and they cost a fraction of that to make. I think it would be beneficial for the industry to reconsider what is being spent and rein in these excessive costs across the board.

I genuinely don't think any movie should cost $200 million to make. The movies of 30 years ago had much stronger characters and stories and they cost a fraction of that to make. I think it would be beneficial for the industry to reconsider what is being spent and rein in these excessive costs across the board.
From their perspective, if a movie has a shot at making $1 billion or more at the box-office, $200m is a reasonable investment.

The case of Joker 2 is particularly unfortunate, because the first one did make $1 billion. And that one only cost $60m or so.

But this one will not even break even - and to make matters worse, there isn't any merchandising like there is with comic book movies that aren't R-rated, which sometimes provides a bit of extra cash for the studios.

Trouble with a capital "T"
Audience expectations of a favorite franchise...that's what the director didn't take into account with Joker 2. I'm thinking fans of the first Joker feel screwed over.

The more time passes the more it feels nothing but a troll job (because it's way better to do a troll job with a point right?)... but I kind of liked it when it was over... it insults it's first movie like no sequel that I remember; but if you weren't so deep into that one you can't be too mad here. If anything, it helps to watch something unfold without thinking of Taxi Driver or The King of Comedy every two minutes. Plus, Phoenix delivered yet another fantastic performance...so there's that.

I concur — the money only ever gets spent on VFX at the expense of character study/depth.