The MoFo Top 100 Musicals Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Since Gideon has blocked me and does not see my posts at all, somebody let him know. He'll be so happy!
"What'd you do?!" as Chris Farley once said.

4lists51points
Easter Parade
Director

Charles Walters, 1948

Starring

Judy Garland, Fred Astaire, Peter Lawford, Ann Miller

6lists52points
Funny Girl
Director

William Wyler, 1968

Starring

Barbra Streisand, Omar Sharif, Kay Medford, Anne Francis

Easter Parade was #88 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 1940s. It is only the second title so far, joining Amadeus (#97), to have previously appeared on another official MoFo List.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Haven't seen either Easter Parade or Funny Girl. Maybe by the time we reboot this in 2044.

I've seen both Easter Parade and Funny Girl and rated them each a 7/10. I like them, but they couldn't make my ballot.

Seen: 23/24

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.

Easter Parade was #88 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 1940s. It is only the second title so far, joining Amadeus (#97), to have previously appeared on another official MoFo List.
Charlotte's Web was on the animated list at #57

Trouble with a capital "T"
Easter Parade (1948) was a shoe in for my ballot when the Musical Countdown was announced. I tried really hard to rewatch the movies I was considering for my ballot and I did rewatch Easter Parade before voting. I still really liked it but it didn't end up making my ballot. Glad it made the countdown.

I previously wrote this:

Easter Parade (1948)

Easter Parade's strength is in it's 18 Irving Berlin songs, not all are done as full numbers. My favorites were the opening number with a happy Fred Astaire walking down a New York Street circa 1912. Fred is shopping for his lady friend and dance partner played by Ann Miller. The song he festively sings is Happy Easter...I loved the part where he's in a ladies hat store warmly greeting the hat models, it's so uplifting...the big highlight comes next with a musical dance number called Drum Crazy.

Judy Garland plays the new dance partner to replace Fred's previous partner who left him for the glitter of the stage lights. Nobody sings like Judy and she has a number of songs as you would expect, most are light and upbeat.

I loved this, though what keeps it from being a 5/5 is that I didn't really sense the romantic chemistry between Astaire and Garland. Originally this was to have been a Gene Kelly and Cyd Charisse pairing, but Gene broke an ankle and Cyd tore a ligament in her knee, ouch.

Trouble with a capital "T"
Funny Girl (1968) was #21 on my ballot.

Funny Girl (1968)

I love that photo of Barbra Streisand! It says so much about her and the character she plays. It was her first movie and she scored an Oscar for Best Actress in a Leading Role. Not too shabby. Before the movie Babs was a Broadway sensation in the stage play Funny Girl. So when acclaimed director William Wyler decided to make a big budget, sweeping story of the life and times of Fanny Brice, Barbra was a natural and of course she could sing!

Streisand does sing a few songs in the movie, but it's not the typical musical, it's more of a comedy drama. I thought Barbra was great in this, she looked great, she was funny, personable, kooky. She had her own style and the camera really likes her. She paired well with leading man Omar Sharif too.

The amount of period piece sets and costumes that went into this 2 1/2 half hour movie is a thing of wonderment. Funny Girl is really a top notch production with great visual appeal and great attention to details. Lavish is the best word for it.

Haven't seen any of today's entries.

SEEN: 5/24
MY BALLOT: 1/25

My ballot  

Love, love, love both Funny Girl and Easter Parade...number of times I've seen both films easily enters double digits. I have to admit I kind of expected Funny Girl to rate a little higher.

Had 2 Parades on my watchlist for this countdown, I got to Footlight but couldn't make it to Easter. It's tragic.

I've seen Funny Girl and the only reason I know that is because I have it crossed off the existing musicals list.

Reply to Topic