Film Noir Hall of Fame VI

Tools    

Trouble with a capital "T"

Film Noir Hall of Fame VI

Open to movies from Hollywood's classic noir period: 1941 to 1958 that are tagged 'noir' or 'film noir' at either IMDB or Wiki.

This will be the sixth Noir HoF I've done, all of them were a blast!...I know people are still watching horror movies for October, no problem as this HoF will start on Nov 1st just in time for Noirvemeber! So you have an entire week to send me your noir nomination by private message.

So what are you waiting for? Send me your noir noms and we'll start on Nov 1st.

Members:
Citizen Rules
John-Connor - nomination received
I_Wear_Pants - nomination received
PHOENIX74 - nomination received
Wyldesyde19 -

I'm going to take an idea from the recent Hall of Infamy and we will watch the same film noir during the same week. That should make for better conversation. I hope!...

So each week we'll watch the same noir. The following week will be a different noir and so on. Keep your nomination private and after the HoF is over I will reveal who picked what noir.

If anyone is concerned that they might not be able to watch all the nominations or can't find them, etc, I can send them the entire list of movies we'll be watching, that list needs to be kept private of course.

These are the film noirs that have been nominated in the last five Film Noir HoFs I don't want to repeat noms for this HoF, so these aren't eligible.

Ace in the Hole
Act of Violence
Criss Cross
Crossfire
Detour
Double Indemnity (1944)
Face in the Crowd
Gilda
Gun Crazy
I Confess
In a Lonely Place (1950)
Kansas City Confidential
Kiss Me Deadly
L.A. Confidential
Laura (1944)
Mildred Pierce
Murder, My Sweet
Night of the Hunter
Out of the Past (1947)
Pickup on South Street (1953)
Scarlet Street
Shadow of a Doubt (1943)
Spellbound
Sunset Boulevard (1950)
Sweet Smell of Success (1957)
The Asphalt Jungle
The Big Combo (1955)
The Big Heat
The Big Sleep
The Breaking Point
The Killers
The Lady from Shanghai (1947)
The Maltese Falcon
The Night of the Hunter
The Set-Up (1949)
The Strange Love of Martha Ivers
The Stranger
The Third Man (1949)
The Wrong Man (1956)
Thieves' Highway
Touch of Evil

Sorry, you know this is a genre I don't watch from. I have only seen one Noir film I like and it's French. I'm actually a fan of the director.

I'm gonna spend the rest of the year on albums and speedreading, most likely. So I'm declining this one.

EDIT: And late, but, Happy Anniversary!

I don't actually wear pants.
Do I send you a list of like seven or eight film noir and then when November 1 comes I watch the list of movies to the best of my ability and post on here which ones I've seen?

I'm going to take an idea from the recent Hall of Infamy and we will watch the same film noir during the same week. That should make for better conversation. I hope!...
Will you still reveal all the nominations at the start of the HOF, so participants can watch them at their own pace like for example one or two Noirs a day/night?

I think all 'my' noirs are on that list except for
Panique (1946)
Key Largo (1948)
Bob Le Flambeur (1956)

I would personally count Alphaville (1965), but it is not tagged noir on IMBd, and Wiki only describes it as, " French New Wave tech noir". Aussi, it is outside your time period.

Do I send you a list of like seven or eight film noir and then when November 1 comes I watch the list of movies to the best of my ability and post on here which ones I've seen?
Anyone who joins sends one film noir from 1941-1958 that is tagged noir or film noir at either IMDB or Wiki. It doesn't have to be tagged at both sites just one of them. You send your nomination by PM to me and keep it private.

When Nov 1st comes around this HoF will officially start and I will post one of the nominations for people to watch that week. After we watch it we post our thoughts on it, we do a write-up just something simple it can be just a short paragraph or much longer if you want. The idea is as a group we watch and discuss each nom then when the HoF is over you send in a ranked voting list of all the noms with the noir that you think should win the HoF as your #1. I tally the points and do a reveal of the results, it's like the countdowns we do here in scoring only the reveal happens all at once.

The next week I'll post a different nomination and the group will watch and post our thoughts on each of the

Will you still reveal all the nominations at the start of the HOF, so participants can watch them at their own pace like for example one or two Noirs a day/night?
We've always done that before but I want to try this new idea out. But if everyone is on board maybe we could make it two noirs per week?

We've always done that before but I want to try this new idea out. But if everyone is on board maybe we could make it two noirs per week?
Discussing only one or two selected Noirs every week, I get that part. I was wondering more about the reveal part, so that participants can watch all the noms at their own tempo but still only post a review once or twice a week and discuss collectively.

Discussing only one or two selected Noirs every week, I get that part. I was wondering more about the reveal part, so that participants can watch all the noms at their own tempo but still only post a review once or twice a week and discuss collectively.
OK I see, yes that is doable. On the 2nd post I say anyone who had any concerns could have the entire list of all the noms sent to them by PM, but they still have to keep that list private. And of course do as you suggested still post your thoughts on that weeks noirs. So yes.

OK I see, yes that is doable. On the 2nd post I say anyone who had any concerns could have the entire list of all the noms sent to them by PM, but they still have to keep that list private. And of course do as you suggested still post your thoughts on that weeks noirs. So yes.
Nice In that case, I'm IN!
I'll watch (for the first time) my potential nomination this weekend.

Very cool, I_Wear_Pants just joined and sent in their noir nomination a great choice btw. Still plenty of time as this will start on Nov 1st, so what are you waiting for, join in the fun already

I forgot the opening line.
I'm in - got a lucky break in that the film I really want to nominate has never been nominated before. Unless I_Wear_Pants nominated the same film, which would be upsetting as that wouldn't be the first time that's happened to me.

Latest Review : Double Down (2005)