A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

The Survivalist. It’s the post-apocalyptic future, can three people trust each other enough to make a farm work? Didn’t think I’d be seeing Mia Goth again this holiday season but here she is…all of her. This movie is like The Road if it was even more quiet and minimalist. But I liked it.
I also liked The Survivalist (I wrote a review of it . . . somewhere), but it's funny how you get to an apocalypse and somehow everyone still has gym-quality bodies.

Don’t Move. Produced by Sam Raimi (and the marketing won’t let you forget it), a woman shot with a paralytic poison must evade the serial killer who drugged her. Talk about women with no agency in films! I joke but it’s a real problem with this movie. Because she can’t move or speak the plot relies on luck and coincidence to keep going. Not to mention it’s the most Netflix-ass Netflix movie. Dumb dumb dumb.
LOL. This is how I felt about See For Me. Just the most "made for uncritical streaming audience" movie ever.

Guys, you gotta watch this little movie from 1987; Evil Dead 2, it's called. I hope they make more of them, the end there looked like it was setting up a sequel.

Seriously though, this movie is incredible. Some of the funniest comedy and some of the most horrible horror, all in one tiny, concise package. The deadites are so cool as villains and every character brings something to the mix at some point. Definitely one of the best horror movies I've seen and I'm putting it on my October list from now on.

Guys, you gotta watch this little movie from 1987; Evil Dead 2, it's called. I hope they make more of them, the end there looked like it was setting up a sequel.

Seriously though, this movie is incredible. Some of the funniest comedy and some of the most horrible horror, all in one tiny, concise package. The deadites are so cool as villains and every character brings something to the mix at some point. Definitely one of the best horror movies I've seen and I'm putting it on my October list from now on.
The Sam Raimi film?

If so, yes, there is Evil Dead: Army of Darkness.

Victim of The Night

Ha! Yeah, I feel the same way every time I see that thing.

Emilie. Three kids must endure a sinister babysitter with an ulterior motive. Surprisingly well made, especially when it came to the child actors, who behaved and spoke like real kids for the most part. They didn’t talk like 45 year old screenwriters and were only annoying when the scene called for it, and annoying in a realistic kid way not a bad actor kid way. Also the house didn’t feel like a house set. It looked like a real middle class house a family with three kids would live in. I could tell this was made by a parent who’s had a real fear something like this would happen and that goes a long way. So a lot of the movie feels genuine. The story is just ok and I would have liked more out of the climax but it was worth a watch, especially at 82 minutes.

Night Creatures (a.k.a. Captain Clegg) -

It should be common knowledge that Peter Cushing was much more than Moff Tarkin from Star Wars. While he mainly worked in horror, he wore many other hats, and in this case in the same movie. His work as a liquor smuggler who moonlights as a pastor, Doctor Blyss, is the finest I've seen from him yet. He has a worthy rival in Captain Collier (Patrick Allen), who oozes company man sleaze as he tries to catch Blyss and his cohorts who populate their seaside town, which includes a young Oliver Reed, in the act. This is not just an acting showcase, though: it's all about the cat and mouse chase, which never ceases to thrill or surprise. If it's not the smugglers' refuge having trapdoors upon trapdoors - think Housebound on steroids - usurpers must contend with a roving band of skeletal horsemen haunting the marshes who would put the Nazgul on edge. At this point, you might be thinking "smuggling is a crime, so why should I root for Blyss?" The movie is thankfully not content to just tell a "good guys vs. bad guys" story. Besides, while trying to reveal Blyss's operation, Collier and company hardly behave like saints.

Again, despite the setup, this is not just about good and evil, and in the case of Blyss, it will make you wonder about the accuracy and use of such labels long after the movie ends. Speaking of labels, this is more clarification than criticism, but I am not sure if this is actually a horror movie. Even though there are skeletal horsemen, I can only assume that the definition of horror was different than it is now because it's not particularly scary. Calling this an adventure or thriller makes more sense. The important thing is that it's always fun and that it will make you want to see everything else featuring Peter Cushing. Just try not to pay too much attention to his hairpiece.

Victim of The Night
Night Creatures (a.k.a. Captain Clegg) -

It should be common knowledge that Peter Cushing was much more than Moff Tarkin from Star Wars. While he mainly worked in horror, he wore many other hats, and in this case in the same movie. His work as a liquor smuggler who moonlights as a pastor, Doctor Blyss, is the finest I've seen from him yet. He has a worthy rival in Captain Collier (Patrick Allen), who oozes company man sleaze as he tries to catch Blyss and his cohorts who populate their seaside town, which includes a young Oliver Reed, in the act. This is not just an acting showcase, though: it's all about the cat and mouse chase, which never ceases to thrill or surprise. If it's not the smugglers' refuge having trapdoors upon trapdoors - think Housebound on steroids - usurpers must contend with a roving band of skeletal horsemen haunting the marshes who would put the Nazgul on edge. At this point, you might be thinking "smuggling is a crime, so why should I root for Blyss?" The movie is thankfully not content to just tell a "good guys vs. bad guys" story. Besides, while trying to reveal Blyss's operation, Collier and company hardly behave like saints.

Again, despite the setup, this is not just about good and evil, and in the case of Blyss, it will make you wonder about the accuracy and use of such labels long after the movie ends. Speaking of labels, this is more clarification than criticism, but I am not sure if this is actually a horror movie. Even though there are skeletal horsemen, I can only assume that the definition of horror was different than it is now because it's not particularly scary. Calling this an adventure or thriller makes more sense. The important thing is that it's always fun and that it will make you want to see everything else featuring Peter Cushing. Just try not to pay too much attention to his hairpiece.
Yeah, I love this one, actually started my Horrorthon this year with it.
So, no I don't think it's a Horror movie either, but I do think it's an October movie.

Yeah, I love this one, actually started my Horrorthon this year with it.
So, no I don't think it's a Horror movie either, but I do think it's an October movie.
October movie is a good description.
It's good I randomly discovered it on Letterboxd because there was no Peter Cushing in my horrorthon. That's like having mashed potatoes without gravy: you just don't do that!

TIL: Night of a Thousand Cats (a movie I have positive memory of as a midnight, group showing, but not necessarily that great as a film), has an English cut and a Spanish language cut and the former clocks in barely at 63 minutes and the latter is a full 25 minutes longer. I'm pretty sure I saw the shorter version last time. Rewatching it this time and getting the longer cut... yeah, the movie was really lazy recycling footage of the protagonist for piloting his helicopter (and there's a lot of helicopter cruising), but it was edited in a lot more interesting ways this time, which I have to wonder if that was mostly cut out last time (or if I just wasn't cluing into it). Those ideas don't always seem to be executed correctly, but it was actually somewhat interesting. I wonder if that means I'll need to revisit Tintorera at some point as well.
Still 63 to 88 minutes. That's a crazy difference in cut lengths.

Don’t Move. Produced by Sam Raimi (and the marketing won’t let you forget it), a woman shot with a paralytic poison must evade the serial killer who drugged her. Talk about women with no agency in films! I joke but it’s a real problem with this movie. Because she can’t move or speak the plot relies on luck and coincidence to keep going. Not to mention it’s the most Netflix-ass Netflix movie. Dumb dumb dumb.
I needed a "watch while doing other things" film and this was perfect. It also had one of my least favorite horror tropes: person who should clearly call 911, but just inexplicably doesn't because the plot needs them to not call.

Honestly, this movie felt like someone ripping off Alone and Hunted but only half as good as either of those movies.

Just watched the Night Eats the World. Pretty good!

It's almost a castaway sort of film, that also reminds me of living during the covid lockdown (at least the boredom and loneliness aspects).

They also make the zombies interesting by omitting all background music, allowing them to attack ferociously in almost dead silence.

Azrael. In the post-apocalyptic future where speech is a sin, zealots try to sacrifice a woman and her partner. Look, as a society we are obsessed with hunting Samara Weaving, we’ll never get passed it. She channels Uma Thurman’s The Bride in this role. Simple and straightforward, there’s not much going on beneath the surface here. You got some action, you got some horror, you get a nifty little ending and you’re out after a lean 78 minutes.

Victim of The Night
I have a question for the group, which I will also be asking over in our Horrorthon but I wanted to ask it to the whole 'Cram group.

I wonder why we never talk about Hell Night.
I mean, the list of slashers we’ve had conversations about in the last few years includes The Prowler, Prom Night, The Final Terror, The Prey, The Burning, Just Before Dawn, House On Sorority Row, Final Exam, Terror Train, The Slumber Party Massacre, My Bloody Valentine, Primal Rage, Death Spa, hell, even The Edge Of The Axe somehow got some mileage around here.
But not Hell Night? What gives?

I've never even heard of Hell Night. That's probably why I've never talked about it lol.

I have a question for the group, which I will also be asking over in our Horrorthon but I wanted to ask it to the whole 'Cram group.

I mean, the list of slashers we’ve had conversations about in the last few years includes The Prowler, Prom Night, The Final Terror, The Prey, The Burning, Just Before Dawn, House On Sorority Row, Final Exam, Terror Train, The Slumber Party Massacre, My Bloody Valentine, Primal Rage, Death Spa, hell, even The Edge Of The Axe somehow got some mileage around here.

Well, like House on Sorority Row, the most I remember about it is that I did in fact watch it at some point. That and Linda Blair is in it. And basically, the only moment I remember is in the trailer, because I think I watched the trailer multiple times in a year.

I think I'm also not the person who usually brings up those Slashers in general, actually (maybe The Burning. And Just Before Dawn and The Prowler are both in the "I guess I should probably watch that one day," category).

ETA: according to letterboxd I watched it in late 2017, so I guess that may explain why I don't remember much by this point.

I watched it earlier this year (for the first time) and liked it a lot. I'd swear I reviewed it somewhere but I can't find anything. For me it's a rare case of a slasher that also works for me on the visual side which is the easiest way to win me over. It's not a period piece but setting the story in the old building, and having Linda B wearing the old costume, makes it feel like one. Adding some cobwebs is all it takes, I'm literally that superficial.

The other bonus is that (I think) I liked most of the characters, also a rarity for me. This was back in March so my memories are a bit hazy. But yeah, 4 stars from me which is a lot compared to most slashers.

I needed a "watch while doing other things" film and this was perfect. It also had one of my least favorite horror tropes: person who should clearly call 911, but just inexplicably doesn't because the plot needs them to not call.

Honestly, this movie felt like someone ripping off Alone and Hunted but only half as good as either of those movies.
Yeah it’s a good one to leave on in the background while doing other things.

Never heard of it but I might be able to squeeze it in before the season ends.

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
I've never even heard of Hell Night. That's probably why I've never talked about it lol.

I remember seeing it on HBO when I was a kid and digging it. Been a long time - I should give it a rewatch.

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

The director of Skinamarink has a new movie with A24....

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=71432

I'm sure it will easily be better than his directorial debut!

Victim of The Night
Never heard of it but I might be able to squeeze it in before the season ends.
For a "slasher" it's as good as most, really. Strengths and weaknesses. Has nice design which sets it apart a little bit. Full write-up probably tomorrow.