The deadline for the Top Musicals list is TOMORROW! Submit your ballot now, or read about it here

The MoFo Musicals Countdown - Preliminary Thread

→ in
Tools    

Trouble with a capital "T"
I just finished watching all 31 of Elvis' movies, some of them are pretty darn good too. I recommend these:

Jailhouse Rock (1957) lots of great songs and good movie too
Loving You (1957) with the lovely Lizabeth Scott
King Creole (1958) also a noir!
Wild in the Country (1961) solid story, with Tuesday Weld
Follow that Dream (1962) Good comedy Elvis as a likable hick
Viva Las Vegas (1964) Ann-Margret sizzles with Elvis!
Girl Happy (1965) Elvis does his version of the beach movie

Also on the animated side, I highly recommend Charlotte's Web (1973).

Because the fair IS a veritable smorgasbord, orgasbord, L, after the crowds have ceased!

Wow! A true blast from the past. Paul Lynde stole the flick as the rat. I remember my Dad howling during this scene.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Good luck hosting Thursday Next!

Here are some of my recommendations:
(and some built in eligibility questions )

The Legend of 1900 is a great film but do you think it qualifies for this game?

The Legend of 1900 is a great film but do you think it qualifies for this game?

First of all this is not a game.. this is Sparta..!

Second what I think is a musical is not important.. that's why I ask the MoFo 'Musical experts'.

I just finished watching all 31 of Elvis' movies, some of them are pretty darn good too. I recommend these:

Jailhouse Rock (1957) lots of great songs and good movie too
Loving You (1957) with the lovely Lizabeth Scott
King Creole (1958) also a noir!
Wild in the Country (1961) solid story, with Tuesday Weld
Follow that Dream (1962) Good comedy Elvis as a likable hick
Viva Las Vegas (1964) Ann-Margret sizzles with Elvis!
Girl Happy (1965) Elvis does his version of the beach movie
Never seen Girl Happy or Follow that Dream, but I like the rest of your recs. For my money, King Creole is his best movie.

What actor does everyone predict will make the most appearances on the countdown? I am guessing Gene Kelly.
That's probably correct. Fred Astaire might make a handful of appearances as well.

That's probably correct. Fred Astaire might make a handful of appearances as well.
What about female actors? Which ladies/girls will make the most appearances? Ginger Rogers? Doris Day? Shirley Temple? Judy Garland?

What about female actors? Which ladies/girls will make the most appearances? Ginger Rogers? Doris Day? Shirley Temple? Judy Garland?
Judy Garland, perhaps.

Worth noting that Letterboxd groups films that are "Musicals" with films about "Music", musicians, etc. Like someone else asked, it is important to establish if those films *about music, musicians* are eligible, even if they're not proper musicals.

Personally, the purist in me would prefer to stick with just musicals, but that's up to Thursday and the community to decide.

I saw that somebody recommended Once, so I'll assume its eligible. I still need some assistance with Nashville. Does the music move the plot?

Here are a few films that are tagged music on letterbox that might be on the fence in terms of eligibility. I have not seen some of them to determine if they use music to advance the plot. I think they are (have not seen Nashville or Once). This is just a list to watch. I have no idea if any of them will be on my final list.

Pink Floyd's The Wall
Walk Hard
Amadeus
Nashville
Once
Quadraphenia
Reefer madness

Never seen Girl Happy or Follow that Dream, but I like the rest of your recs. For my money, King Creole is his best movie.
Count me as a big fan of King Creole, I love the opening duet Crawfish that Elvis does with a street vendor, Kitty White. Trouble is my favorite song from the movie, Elvis opened his '68 Comeback Special with the song. Have you seen The '68 Comeback Special? If not I think you'd love it, but watch the longer version with the bordello musical scene.

Does The Big Lebowski count?
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

What actor does everyone predict will make the most appearances on the countdown? I am guessing Gene Kelly.
Fred Astaire or I revolt! Astaire is by far the better dancer.

I'm going with Shirley Jones, she was in alot of the biggest musicals made.

And for director I'm going with Busby Berkeley