Movie Tab II

Tools    

Master of My Domain
Per the discussion higher up the page, The Evil Dead is easily the worst film in the trilogy but I still give it a
. Evil Dead II and Army of Darkness are
to me, but my ratings are supposed to be taken with a grain of salt so...whatever.
No, you're right, because a
from you means the two films are legendary, which is totally a true. What a wonderful grain of salt you are.

Welcome to the human race...
No, you're right, because a
from you means the two films are legendary, which is totally a true. What a wonderful grain of salt you are.
Of course they are.

April, 2015 movies watched-

All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)
Up there with the best war movies I've seen.

The Odd Couple (1968)
Funny at times, but it annoyed me at other times. Average for me.

The Driller Killer (1979)
Brutal and raw with an artistic side.

Classe Tous Risques (1960)
Great start and a solid movie, but it dragged for a while.

Alfie (1966)
Michael Caine is terrific in this.

Sleepy Hollow (1999)
I really wish I enjoyed this more because there's nothing wrong with it.

The Flim-Flam Man (1967)
Very enjoyable con movie with a nice cast

Trance (2013)
Rosario Dawson spectacularly bares it all, but I didn't care for any other part of it.

Woman in the Dunes (1964) Repeat viewing
Fantastic movie, fascinating and terrifying.

The Firemen's Ball (1967)
*Short, funny movie that I'll probably forget.

Leon Morin, Priest (1961)
Belmondo was very good but this was a tough movie for me to get into.

Sleeping Beauty (2011)
Very slow but Emily Browning is very good in it.

Midnight Cowboy (1969) Repeat viewing
About as much as I can like a movie while also feeling disappointed.

Quatermass and the Pit (1967)
I thought this was forgettable and very average.

The Jungle Book (1967)
I liked the characters and the songs. Short and easy to enjoy.

Comanche Station (1960)
Average Western.

Silent Hill (2006)
Different and atmospheric horror movie.

Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)
Easy to see why it's considered one of the greatest Westerns.

Starry Eyes (2014)
The last crazy 25 minutes save this horror movie.

Bloody Moon (1981)
Above average Euro slasher.

Halloween (1978) Repeat viewing Excellent Classic, tense slasher with a great villain.

Terror Train (1980) Repeat viewing Above Average Well made and cool location for a slasher.

Village of the Damned (1960)
Creepy, effective Sci-Fi horror classic.

Hatchet (2006) Above average Fun, modern slasher.

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) Repeat viewing Excellent Classic, entertaining slasher with another one of the greatest villains.

Andrei Rublev (1966)
No clue what was happening but I liked it anyway.

April viewings-26
Total 2015 viewings-169

My lowest monthly total in a year and a half. This spring brought me a lot of work in the yard.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

OK, here's 20 more that bluedeed hasn't seen.

Last Night (Massy Tadjedin, 2010)

Johnny Cool (William Asher, 1963)

The Dinosaur Project (Sid Bennett, 2012)

Red Riding: In the Year of Our Lord 1974 (Julian Jarrold, 2009)
+

Looking for info about the murders of little girls, journalist Anfrew Garfield questions prostitute Robert Sheehan.
I Shot Billy the Kid (William Berke, 1950)

Chisum (Andrew V. McLaglen, 1970)

Blondes in the Jungle (Whitney Horn & Lev Kalman, 2009)
+
The Guest (Adam Wingard, 2014)

Violence and death seem to follow soldier Dan Stevens after he insinuates himself into the family of a recently-killed young serviceman.
Meeting Evil (Chris Fisher, 2012)

The Rig (Peter Atencio, 2013)

Billy the Kid (King Vidor, 1930)

The Station Agent (Todd McCarthy, 2003)
+

Loner Peter Dinklage, who inherited a rural New Jersey train station, walks the right of way with friendly hot dog van owner Bobby Cannavale and sad artist Patricia Clarkson.
Crazy Kind of Love (Sarah Siegel-Magness, 2013)

Hollywood Newsreel (George R. Bilson, 1934)
+
The Church Mouse (Monty Banks, 1934)

Ever Since Eve (Lloyd Bacon, 1937)
+

Robert Montgomery wants a good secretary but would also like her to be good-looking, but Marion Davies deglamorizes herself to avoid all the extracurricular activities of her past bosses.
She’s Got Everything (Joseph Santley, 1937)
+
Some Girl(s) (Daisy von Scherler Mayer, 2013)

The Culling (Rustam Branaman, 2015)

The Wipers Times (Andy De Emmony, 2013)
+

During WWI, British officer Ben Chaplin finds a press in the trenches and prints a satirical newspaper to give the soldiers some amusing entertainment in between all the death and destruction.

All 60's flicks

Night of the Living Dead

Dated to all hell and completely blown out of the water by it's predecessor, still it's better than a lot of modern zombie flicks. Especially Romero's Land of the Dead. That one was the definitely the worst of them all. Something about black and white makes movies scarier.

Goldfinger

Hugely entertaining. Goldfinger (the character) is just brilliant. He does not give off the vibe you typically expect from a super-villian and he just completely cuts the nonsense. All the best things about the Bond series on glorious display.

They really struck gold with this one.

Manchurian Candidate

Starts off amazing and then just sinks further and further into mediocrity. The dream sequences are still horrifying today because of their controlled atmosphere. If only they could have channeled that horrible queasy tension through the whole thing.

West Side Story

A lot of 60's movies we're still being filmed in black and white. This movie is in color and they just went god damn nuts with it. The dancing is excellent and really makes this unique, but the really forced romance at the center deflates the whole story. A lot of the songs are fairly unmemorable, except for "America", "Cool", and "Tonight" which see Stephen Sondheim working at the height of his power.

There's so much amazing stuff going on to distract from the actual story (Romeo and Juliet), but eventually it dominates the film and goes on far too long until it ends on a disappointing weak note.

Breathless

I care about the characters in this like how I care about the robots in the transformers movie. There's nothing interesting about either of them. A masterclass in making 90 minutes feel like 4 hours.

Служили два товарища [Two Comrades Were Serving]
(1968) -
(Soviet war movie about, as the title suggests, two fellow soldiers and their adventures. Russian bard Vladimir Vysotsky plays one of them, while the second one is none other than Oleg Yankovsky known from Tarkovsky's Nostalghia.)
Zoo Zéro (1979) -
(A surreal descend into madness with Klaus Kinski! Original and offbeat, the film has amazing visuals and weird set of characters to keep you absorbed.)

残酷異常虐待物語 元禄女系図 [Orgies of Edo] (1969) -
(Pinku film about kinkiness in Edo era! Three stories. The first one feels like vulgarized Mizoguchi with an innocent girl blindly in love with a bandit. The second one starts with two midgets sneaking into a lady's room and attempting a rape by... sucking her toes. Then the girl stands up, laughs and to little men's surprise starts to flog them with a whip. This one is about sadism and woman's love for ugly men. The last one is the most hardcore. It's about a sadist shogun, who likes to organize mini-Colosseum spectacles with bulls and innocent girls in red clothes. You can imagine what happens next. The movie has a beautiful cinematography. The use of colours is exceptional.)
音響生命体ノイズマン [Noiseman Sound Insect] (1997) -
(A crazy anime short. One of them WTF films. This one I didn't like.)

赤足驚魂 [The Peeping Tom] (1997) -
(A CAT III film! I liked it more than Love to Kill and Ebola Syndrome (two pretty good films nevertheless). I just liked everything about it. The plot feels like a rip-off of an American thriller movie, although perhaps it's the Americans, who ripped this film later. The main protagonist is pretty hot and another lady in the movie is super smoking hot. There's a shower scene with the latter that shows her body. Jaw-dropping. Anyways, the killer himself is pretty cool, too. He's a very bold, self-confident, twisted-minded and is-everywhere-knows-everything type of a guy. Some nice ideas used in the movie, like a pram-bait, or the red cup thingy. There's some wicked sh*t like cutting off a woman's leg with a grinder at the beginning of the movie, torturing, following, filming...)
Lola (1981) -
(Fassbinder must've loved The Blue Angel. This film feels like a retelling of that story plus some political message I didn't care for. All in all, one of Fassbinder's weakest from what I've seen.)

Buffalo '66 (1998) -
(What an incredible movie! Its sadness and depressiveness reminds me of Paris, Texas. Let's get it straight, Gallo's character is a jerk. At first I despised him, but with every minute, my sympathy and pity for him have been growing. By the end I really cared about him and the girl. The ending made me cry. I really thought it's gonna end like it was supposed to at the beginning. It was such a nice refreshing change.)
Father's Day (2011) -
(Another troma gem! It's so crazy and f*cked up you can't even imagine! Just let me tell you, that there's a twink, a priest and a guy with an eye-path teaming up to kill a gay butt-rapist and then descend into hell to kick everyone's ass!)
Glen or Glenda (1953) -
(Even better than Plan 9 from Outer Space! An experimental avant-garde satire horror transgender transvestite essay film with Bela Lugosi mumbling about dragons eating children and what not.)

Mikio Naruse binge:

君と行く路 [The Road I Travel With You] (1936) -

朝の並木路 [Morning's Tree-Lined Street] (1936) -

女人哀愁 [A Woman's Sorrows] (1937) -

雪崩 [Avalanche] (1937) -

禍福 前篇 [Learn From Experience, Part 1] (1937) -

禍福 後篇 [Learn From Experience, Part 2] (1937) -

Morning's Tree-Lined Street is his best non-silent film so far (besides The Sound of the Mountain I've seen way before my marathon). A Woman's Sorrows is almost four stars, too. Honestly, I don't know why it's not. Well... Avalanche has a cool idea: The screen gets darker and we hear the character's thoughts. Learn From Experience is a two-part tale that's pretty enjoyable, but could've been made better.

Hi. I'm new. This seemed fun, so here goes. Minor spoilers below.

Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
Dir. Joss Whedon

I'm admittedly not the biggest superhero movie fan outside of Batman. But I'll usually give them all a shot when they do come out. Superficially, this flick is well done. The action sequences are amazing, they weren't afraid of color and they managed to avoid the digital wash problem of when there are simply too many things happening on screen at once. The fight scene between Iron Man and Hulk was my personal highlight.

Once you get past the fun factor though, there isn't much else to say. Originally, I was under the assumption that all of the single character movies leading up to this (Thor, Cap 2, etc.) all had to be watched to understand what was going on in this one. As if, this were a culmination. But that just isn't the case.

Hardly any past incidents are referenced and some, if not most, are just flat out ignored. That's not to say there isn't a story worth watching for, as Ultron in total -- was a pretty badass character. Despite the handling of his creation being problematic and unclear to say the least. And despite the fact that even though there are so many of him and he still finds a way to never really feel like a threat... And despite that he keeps Black Widow in a cage at one point. (I couldn't believe my eyes). He had character. Credit to James Spader for that, I guess.

Joss Whedon as a writer is too much. I get it. He's quirky. But he's so quirky that I have the urge to tell Iron Man to shut the hell up just by proxy. It's ridiculous. His overly snarky dialogue clashes with the events taking place so much and so often that I'd be remiss to just straight up not say anything. I mean, do I really have to use spoiler tags to describe what ends up happening here? I think it's a given that things are going to be blown up and destroyed. So you already know the deal. Let me explain then, how I felt watching this...

Think of a catastrophic event happening. Then think of like, policemen and firefighters running around like chickens without heads trying to save people. And then picture a veteran cop, who has been in situations like this before, turn around and say to another grizzled, veteran cop: "Ayy, we look like a couple o' FONZES in deez leather jackets, right?". As the other cop's pupils expand, and a thousand yard stare washes over his face, a woman burns alive in the distance. This is The Avengers 2.

FINAL VERDICT: It's better than the first Avengers flick by a long shot. Which I guess isn't saying much. But, it's worth a watch. I find Guardians of the Galaxy and Iron Man to still be Marvel's brightest moments thus far.

Hi. I'm new. This seemed fun, so here goes. Minor spoilers below.

Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
Dir. Joss Whedon

Originally, I was under the assumption that all of the single character movies leading up to this (Thor, Cap 2, etc.) all had to be watched to understand what was going on in this one. As if, this were a culmination. But that just isn't the case.

Funny you should say that I went with a friend and he hasn't see all the other allied movies and he found it hard to follow the characters

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

The Atticus Institute (Chris Sparling, 2015)
+
The Bill of Rights (Crane Wilbur, 1939)

Hellbenders (J.T. Petty, 2013)
+
Too Much Johnson (Orson Welles, 1938)
+

Joseph Cotten is chased across NYC rooftops and throughout the city by his rival for the affection of his lover in Welles’ long-lost, unfinished, satiric silent short.
Bomba, the Jungle Boy (Ford Beebe, 1949)

BASEketball (David Zucker, 1998)

Jungle Safari (No Director Listed, 1950)

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Richard Thorpe, 1939)

Huckleberry Finn (Mickey Rooney) prefers fishin’ to school and generally gets into trouble several times a day, but this time he’s rafting down the river with runaway slave Rex Ingram.
Complicit (Niall MacCormick, 2013)
+
Tropical Heat (Jag Mundhra, 1993)

The Hollow (Kyle Newman, 2004)

Afflicted (Derek Lee & Clif Prowse, 2014)
+

Two friends vacationing in Europe record everything which happens to them, which gets really weird when one (Derek Lee) shows symptoms of vampirism.
Vengeance (Johnny To, 2009)

Gang of Roses (Jean-Claude La Marre, 2003)

ABBA: The Movie (Lasse Hallström, 1977)

Delivery Man (Ken Scott, 2013)
-

Twenty years after he made numerous anonymous donations to a local fertility clinic, delivery driver Vince Vaughn discovers that he’s the biological father of 533 children, 142 of whom enter a class action suit to learn his identity.
Shake Hands with Danger (Herk Harvey, 1980)

Kidnapped for Christ (Kate S. Logan, 2014)

Glena (Allan Luebke, 2014)

Bombshell (Victor Fleming, 1933)

Sexy film star Jean Harlow comments about her maid Louise Beavers' wardrobe and activity.

Avengers : Age of Ultron

A pretty big dissapointment. It starts off interesting enough (the party scene at the beginning is the obvious highlight of whole thing) but then there's just a huge slump in the middle of the movie where I just blacked out. I honestly can't recall what happened throughout most of it until the big finale. James Spader is a perfect cast, but Ultron is too boring to do anything with and his stupid henchmen super heroes are lame-o's. There's also a ton of stuff rehashed from the first Avengers.

Aside from a few really great parts (Thor's hammer, Hawkeye's speech, Don Cheadle) this is an uninspired and unwarranted comic book dud in a time extremely oversaturated with them.

The Innocents

There are some really effective and creepy moments throughout, but some of the scenes just fall flat on their face. The ending also became extremely obvious by the first half.

Psycho

A technical masterpiece. The photography and the sound design might as well have been done today. Similar to Norman Bates, Hitchcock's Psycho is actually two movies. One is a gripping horror tale and the other is a mildly interesting procedural.

A low rating of one of my favourite horrors (Psycho) and an even lower one for a film that's probably top of my horror watchlist (The Innocents) made that post difficult to rep. Mark won't be happy with that either