The 13TH Hall of Fame

Tools    

It’s A Classic Rope-A-Dope
Love seeing Dances With Wolves win this. Dances and Shawshank have now won HOF. Score for us normies.

#JusticeForHamilton

Congrats Vic, Wolves is a deserving winner and I'm glad I finally saw it. Also thanks for finishing what that mess couldn't finish!

1. The Broken Circle Breakdown
2. The Hunt
3. The Marriage of Maria Braun
4. Dances with Wolves
5. The Great Dictator
6. Buffalo 66
7. Dead Poet's Society
8. Nightmare Alley
9. Manchester By The Sea
10. Captain Fantastic
11. The Quiet Earth
12. Forbidden Games
13. Wings of Desire
14. The Three Musketeers
15. Flesh + Blood
16. Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, and Spring

Next!

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Meh, I'm pretty disappointed that Dances With Wolves won. I mean, it's ok, but I really wanted Manchester to take this home, more than any other nom I have put up.

Meh, I'm pretty disappointed that Dances With Wolves won. I mean, it's ok, but I really wanted Manchester to take this home, more than any other nom I have put up.
Didn't you initially think it was going to do bad since it was so new? It finished second man, you did great.

It was my #3. Buffalo '66 was the best film nominated according to my calculations.

I'm not surprise, either, but not because I didn't like it because I did..a lot. I've heard friends complain about the ending quite a bit. I can agree..but you don;t throw away a cadillac for a dent in the fender.
What did you find great about it? Just wondering because Clazor who nominated it only popped out at the end and i was never really clear why he liked it so much.

Trouble with a capital "T"
Joel, have you seen any of the other movies in this Hof? If so how would you rank them compared to The Quiet Earth?

There's another post apocalyptic film with a last man on Earth, and a woman, and eventually another man: The World, The Flesh and The Devil (1959) have you seen that one? I thought it was well done...and it's very similar to The Quiet Earth, except for the multi reality thing.

Joel, have you seen any of the other movies in this Hof? If so how would you rank them compared to The Quiet Earth?

There's another post apocalyptic film with a last man on Earth, and a woman, and eventually another man: The World, The Flesh and The Devil (1959) have you seen that one? I thought it was well done...and it's very similar to The Quiet Earth, except for the multi reality thing.
Yes, I have seen some these films. I don't wanna hog up tons of real estate with my thoughts since I'm not part of this tournament but when I'm not mobile I wouldn't mind dropping a couple lines on a few. Count me in for HOF 14. This looks like just the arena for me to get closer to some of the forum and have real discussions. Thanks!

There's another post apocalyptic film with a last man on Earth, and a woman, and eventually another man: The World, The Flesh and The Devil (1959) have you seen that one?
I have not seen it. I need to hang with you more here. Ill admit to only being familiar with films from around 1966 up to now but if you recommend em and think I can handle them, I'll oblige.

Trouble with a capital "T"
...Count me in for HOF 14. This looks like just the arena for me to get closer to some of the forum and have real discussions. Thanks!
Very cool that you can join...I'm glad I asked you. It should be fun too!
I think I have my nom picked out, unless I change me mind before the Hof starts

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
you can put the blame on me. Since my high rating of Wolves #4 and Manchester #8 put it over by that one point. Sorry, Raul.

CONGRATS to @Miss Vicky for #1 and KUDOS for pitch hitting for @Camo.
Thoroughly enjoyed peeking behind the curtain and seeing how things changed as the votes came in.
REALLY enjoyed that.

My List:

01. The Broken Circle Breakdown (14) As emotional as this was, I thoroughly enjoyed this the most. And that says A LOT since I'm at time in my life where I truly dislike sad endings.
02. The Great Dictator (13) It's Chaplin, I'm gonna rate it high
03. The Three Musketeers (12) purely self interest
04. Dances With Wolves (11)
05. Dead Poets Society (10)
06. Forbidden Games (9)
07. Nightmare Alley (8)
08. Manchester By the Sea (7)
09. Captain Fantastic (6) #4 through #9 were basically equal in enjoyment, really and no matter how I stacked him, no way in hell I'd be happy with the outcome
10. Wings of Desire (5)
11. Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter… and Spring (4)
12. The Marriage of Maria Braun (3)
13. The Quiet Earth (2) same with this group. But they didn't hold my enjoyment throughout as the group above them for what ever minor reason.
14. Buffalo ’66 (1) Like so many others, one of my favorite reviews (for this --rant) was @cricket's eloquent hatred of Gallo. VERY funny.
And it would be easy to join in and say this was why for me. But I can't.
It was the character its self. And quite honestly, I don't think anyone else could have brought out THE reaction, (I am assuming from what little I knew, back then, about Gallo) that he was aiming for. So, like I said, can't put in on the actor. He did EXACTLY what he was looking to do, in spades.
The character was some thing I grew to despise as the movie proceeded. Exacerbated each time he had a sobbing breakdown. And since he was, pretty much, in every single scene. . .

Also. The reason for stating this, besides not going into it when I reviewed it and answering any question before its asked about its placement, is this:
There are quite a number of folks here I love and respect. One of that number, is Camo.
And speaking honestly and not bullsh!tting or blowing smoke is how I express that respect. And, hopefully, he understands that for what it is, and even more so, it is how he would wish it.

...Count me in for HOF 14. This looks like just the arena for me to get closer to some of the forum and have real discussions. Thanks!
Very cool that you can join...I'm glad I asked you. It should be fun too!
I think I have my nom picked out, unless I change me mind before the Hof starts
Yes sir, I appreciate the invite! I thought of my nom, too. But still some time to reconsider.

WELCOME to the HoFs, Joel!!
It IS an excellent spot to get know others and get into discussions about the movies in them. I hope you enjoy yourself!

One of that number, is Camo.
And speaking honestly and not bullsh!tting or blowing smoke is how I express that respect. And, hopefully, he understands that for what it is, and even more so, it is how he would wish it. [/color]
Of course. And usually i'd be debating your problems but i said as much constantly and i agree with Cricket about Gallo, i expected to despise the film because i really hate Gallo; just so happens that i think he at least had a hand in creating something pretty great with Buffalo '66. His character is completely detestable which is why it works for me as i disliked Gallo before i saw a second of his performance, liking a character doesn't really matter to me as long as i get some sort of reaction to them and i did think i could empathize with his character in the end. The film was surreal so i never felt anything he did was actually real even though it was supposed to be, his dream-death scene felt no different from the rest of the film; i could easily accept a story of Ricci stabbing him dead at the start and the rest of the film being a last second fever dream of an imagined adventure with Ricci.

Completely understand that you and a few others didn't feel this way about the film and there's no need to feel sorry about it, some you're going to like, some you aren't; just glad you gave it a shot.

Thank you, this was a great HOF and vicky and camo took a good care of it.. i fell asleep last night and missed all fun. This is my ranking list.

01. Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter… and Spring (14)
02. Manchester By The Sea (13)
03. Buffalo '66 (12)
04. Forbidden Games (11)
05. Wings of Desire (10)
06. The Broken Circle Breakdown (9)
07. The Quiet Earth (8)
08. Dances With Wolves (7)
09. Captain Fantastic (6)
10. The Marriage of Maria Braun (5)
11. Nightmare Alley (4)
12. Dead Poet's Society (3)
13. The Great Dictator (2)
14. The Three Musketeers (1)

congrats to vicky for the first place and raul for the second. Quite surprising anyways

Legend in my own mind
Great effort guys. Really enjoyed that and it helped me to watch some good films that I wouldn't have otherwise watched. Loved hearing your thoughts on each film (even if I didn't agree). I don't take my nomination position personally. Film is subjective and where it finishes in a HoF doesn't change my appreciation of it.
Watching 'Dances' as and adult was superb. A really excellent film and deserved winner, but I could have made a case for 5 or 6 to win.

Camo and Miss Vicky - Thanks for all of your effort. Massive.

Well done everyone, I already have my choice for the next one

Of course. And usually i'd be debating your problems but i said as much constantly and i agree with Cricket about Gallo, i expected to despise the film because i really hate Gallo; just so happens that i think he at least had a hand in creating something pretty great with Buffalo '66. His character is completely detestable which is why it works for me as i disliked Gallo before i saw a second of his performance, liking a character doesn't really matter to me as long as i get some sort of reaction to them and i did think i could empathize with his character in the end. The film was surreal so i never felt anything he did was actually real even though it was supposed to be, his dream-death scene felt no different from the rest of the film; i could easily accept a story of Ricci stabbing him dead at the start and the rest of the film being a last second fever dream of an imagined adventure with Ricci.

Completely understand that you and a few others didn't feel this way about the film and there's no need to feel sorry about it, some you're going to like, some you aren't; just glad you gave it a shot.
much appreciated and I do remember seeing an interview with Gallo back in the day and how he preferred if someone reacted strongly against the character otherwise he didn't do what he set out to do with the character. So I completely agree with that.
And normally, like you, it isn't important on how I feel about the leading character on whether I enjoy a movie or not. Which is a shame in this case, because it caused me me miss out on a lot things I know for a fact I would have enjoyed: The layers of each meeting, especially the parents and dinner, the bowling alley, many of the conversations on the phone with his buddy, and so on.
So that's on me. And yes, I AM glad I had the opportunity to rewatch it all these years later. I had been VERY curious to see how I would feel about it since first seeing it when it first came out in the theaters. So, thank you for that.

And yeah, that's part of the excitement of these HoFs. Trying what you normally wouldn't. Some ya like, some ya don't. Which is why I don't mind my nom being at the bottom of the pile. It's all good.