The deadline for the Top Musicals list is coming up! Submit your ballot now, or read about it here

Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Trap: 5.5/10

Vojtík a duchové (1997) - 7 / 10

The free continuation of the fairy tale Cyprian and the Headless Great-Grandfather takes us again to the castle of Cyprian Knight of Višně, which used to be full of ghosts.

Prick Up Your Ears (1987) - A step-up from Sid and Nancy as in I criticised that movie yesterday for it's writing but I'm bewildered by this one's; which is actually another British biopic about a doomed, artistic couple of lovers starring a young Gary Oldman.

As the confident, pervy, talented, and ultimately tragic Joe Orton, Oldman puts the "prick" in the title and gives a performance different than anything else I've seen from him. His Sid Vicious had this childlike nature to him which was acted out in freewheeling, sad and self-destructive tantrums... while Joe (or John) could also be seen as a child - in the way that he runs to creative work (playwriting and briefly stage-acting), believing he can erase his origins - but one with an understanding beyond his years, who takes time to realize his opportunities and get a handle of power in his interactions wether with his causal sex partners or literary agent. Even more brilliant is Alfred Molina as his anxious, frustrated, pathetic and painfully human roommate-to-lover. Vanessa Redgrave is a scene-stealler on her own right as well.

The film - pretty ballsy for it's time, I should say - is funny throughout, which makes the ending all the more schocking for somebody who doesn't know the story. Stephen Frears isn't talked-about enough... 7-8/10.

盲獣, Mōjū

Is this one of the most bonkers movies ever made?

Oh, without a doubt. Even after 50 years, this one is... pretty nuts.

It has been called "One of the most fascinatingly freakish of all the big screen adaptations of the works of Japanese mystery writer Edogawa Rampo"

If it were released today, it would probably have to be preceded by some kind of trigger warning - there's so much happening here.

I'm not going to say a lot about the plot, because, if you haven't seen it, you really should watch it knowing as little as possible beforehand; if you have seen it, then you know how bat**** crazy the whole premise is.

I would give absolutely anything to experience this movie with an audience at the time of its initial release, but since that's clearly impossible, I'm just hoping I can watch it at some revival house one of these days.

Your marks are super harsh!
That is your opinion.

Thanks, that is one valid point. I also happen to base my ratings on objective criteria.

Designer Pups (2015) This was fun. I really liked Teagan Sirset's performance and Torrey Halverson was an entertaining foil as the egotistical, villainous scheming fashion designer, Michel. The dogs are super cute and delightful. I was engaged in the story and rooting for Stacy and her pups. I had a doggone good time and laughed multiple times. I give this family comedy two paws up Watched on Tubi..

SF = Z

Viewed: Blu ray

SF = Z

Viewed: Blu ray

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

Stingray Sam (2009)

An hour long Sci-Fi/musical/comedy in black and white. Had never heard of it until Miss Vicky recommended it to me and it's an odd little gem. The episodic set up seems unnecessary although it didn't bother me. Loved the characters, all the songs, the illustrations?, and it is very funny. Free on YouTube.

A Million Little Pieces (2018)

A film about a fella that has taken all the wrong choices in life and due to addiction ends up in a rehab facility. Aaron Taylor-Johnson plays the main character and does a decent job. The narrative itself was pretty predictable but not uninteresting. Perhaps the fellow sufferers had to be painted in a jaunty way but it doesn't really hang together right given the subject matter.

REFUSED CLASSIFICATION
(2021, Elena)

"We make suggestions of that nature; that will be censorship and, uhh, we are not here to censor you."

Refused Classification follows Matt, Amy, and Pamela (Sam O'Sullivan, Gabrielle Scawthorn, and Bernie Van Tiel) as the three prepare to start a relationship. However, their intimate and personal moment is overseen by a strict monitor (David Whitney) who will ultimately assign an MPAA rating to their "scene". As they bargain for what to say or do and what not to, they start to question the need for such a rating.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot

Calvaire, 2004

Marc (Laurent Lucas) is a traveling entertainer who performs largely for a crowd of older people. On his way home for the holiday, his van breaks down in an isolated rural town. Stranded at the home of the oddball Bartel (Jackie Berroyer), who offers accommodation and the promise of the ability to repair the van. Soon, however, Bartel’s interest in Marc’s company takes a sinister turn, and the people living in the village may be just as demented.

A foreboding atmosphere and discomforting imagery make for an eerie trip through a strange village.

FULL REVIEW

I forgot the opening line.

By The poster art can or could be obtained from the distributor., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=50461677

Train to Busan - (2016)

I'm pretty sure all the aliens out there binging on the movies travelling through the galaxy on the airwaves are convinced that zombie hoards are a real menace on Earth - but while the whole subgenre has become commonplace, it was much rarer from a South Korean point of view. Yeon Sang-ho's Train to Busan was huge, but I'm only getting to it now and was encouraged by watching The Wailing the other night (it had a trailer for Busan playing before it that I was enjoying so much I skipped the rest so as not to spoil anything, and decided then and there to watch it the next night.) It gets both the action and horror absolutely right, and those two aspects help to amplify each other - the more horrified you are by the undead, the more excited you are when a hoard of them are mere moments from breaking through a window as it seems there's no escape for our protagonists and other train passengers. Busan also has a very generous helping of social commentary - something of a zombie film staple, but melded so well into this that it doesn't stick out or take you out of the film (aside for one particular scene at least.) So many emotional highs and lows - which as far as I'm concerned made this a damn fine night's viewing. Train to Busan works on many, many different levels.

8/10

By The poster art can or could be obtained from the distributor., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=50529742

The Wailing - (2016)

'16 was a great year for South Korean film. The Wailing s an excellent and very rewarding excursion into the supernatural that is as much a thriller as it is a horror film. It has everything - possession, religion, mythology, zombies, demons - but it somehow manages to integrate all of that into such a grounded bed of reasonableness that the end result is unnerving. Full review here, in my watchlist thread.

8/10

Latest Review : Double Down (2005)

The Sting (1973) - George Roy Hill: 8/10

Gilda (1946)

4 out of 5

Mr. Jones
(2019)
3.75/5

A biopic on Welsh journalist Gareth Jones who went into the Ukraine in 1932 and broke the news to the world of Stalin's forced famine, the Holodomor.

This film can be a hard watch with the show of death and cannibalism.

Shadow of the Vampire (2001) - An underdiscussed little movie from 2000, covering the on-set struggles of the original Nosferatu between the star Max Schreck and the crew. Could've been a deeper experience had it depicted a richer interior life for Murnau (I imagined him going to bed every night of the production, monologue to himself perhaps as to what the creation of this film means to him personally) than giving so much screentime to other guys behind the camera (seeing Cary Elwes commenting on everything in particular was distracting)...

But this is still an interesting and endearing look into the making of one of the oddest and greatest films ever made; featuring one of only two Oscar nominations for Willem Dafoe, who's the horror and the heart of it... the very end scene, capturing the death of the vampire on celluloid, is going to live on my mind for a while. 6-7/10.