The deadline for the Top Musicals list is TOMORROW! Submit your ballot now, or read about it here

THE 3RD HALL OF INFAMY: Infamy Rises Again

Tools    

Double Down
Well, Dan Brown and Christopher Nolan have nothing to fear from Neil Breen. The metaphysics and action genre are safe. I watched 40 minutes of being told rather than shown when suddenly a movie breaks out. The camera follows two spies. That lasts for something like 5-10 minutes. After that it is continuous rambling.
This insane screenplay sounds like something some twelve year old kids would come up with while playing. What doesn’t this guy do? What didn’t he invent? He should have invented a bib that catches his tuna while he swerves around the desert highway. And why do the dead wiggle around after they have been dispatched? Why is HELP ME written all over his car? Did he actually ask these people to be wooden so his acting would look better in comparison? Why include makeup and hair in the credits when no one did it? Is that some kind of template that can’t be changed?
I feel like I watched somebody’s sizzle reel that had metastasized.
Not a fan, though that maybe due to watching an hour of it in one fell swoop and the Hall of Infamy almost being over.

And now for something completely different...

Costa Rican Summer (2009)
It's available everywhere but YouTube.

EDIT: I am having a heck of a time finding this. It was everywhere and now seems to be nowhere. Anyone else having any luck?

EDIT: I am having a heck of a time finding this. It was everywhere and now seems to be nowhere. Anyone else having any luck?
Same, and I need a legit way to watch it, please. I really do not like having to click into websites I'm not familiar with.

I know it's too late for this Hall, but in the future I think that accessibility for watching in a legal way needs to be a criteria for nominations. I changed my nomination in the first hall because a user couldn't access it.

Same, and I need a legit way to watch it, please. I really do not like having to click into websites I'm not familiar with.

I know it's too late for this Hall, but in the future I think that accessibility for watching in a legal way needs to be a criteria for nominations. I changed my nomination in the first hall because a user couldn't access it.
I found it at the same site as the Nazi film we watched

I came across it there, but it was a foreign dub. Unless you found a different link.

I skipped ahead a few minutes in case the intro took too long, and they were speaking English in my link.

Double Down

Never officially posted a review, so here we are. The acting is weak (Breen might actually be better than the rest of the cast, shockingly) and the story is nonsensical but what makes this one special is the complete commitment to earnestness. The whole thing falls apart if Breen winks even once during his opening reading of his resume, for example. Because as an intentional joke it's not that funny. But as a sincere attempt at portraying our hero as a Superman it's comedy gold. If you tried this on the playground at age 10 your friend would be like "Seriously, dude?".
So yeah, I was entertained. It might be the most fun I've had with a film all month. A week later I'm still thinking of things that make me chuckle. Like, he invented a force field that renders things invisible, and kills anything that attempts to breach it, but the only thing he uses it for is to hide his '85 Mercedes in the desert? You should be ruling the world, bro.

This will not likely "win" this challenge but it's a winner in its own way.

There has never been anyone better at watching movies. There was someone who thought they were better, but they rang me up and told me "It's no use. You're the best."
This sounds like a direct quote from a certain someone who posts in The Shoutbox.

PHOENIX''s Letterboxd review and the feedback so far leads me to believe we're doing a reverse Vanessa Williams here: saving the worst for last.

I'll have ChatGPT write the review...er, watch it early next week. Maybe.

Costa Rican Summer

This has a good shot at topping my ballot. Not funny, not sexy, poorly acted, poorly written, poorly shot....

I understand the "star" is a member of the Adam Sandler stable and this follows the template. Ne'er-do-well gets the pretty girl by showing the absolute bare minimum of growth. In this case that means ditching the worst wig in cinema history and not puking on her boobs. And the payoff for our secondary characters is the opportunity to motorboat two obnoxious bikini girls.

This felt three hours longer than it was. My compliments to the nominator of this one. A worthy nominee indeed.

I didn’t hate. Probably because I was cooking dinner and playing games on my phone while it was on. I guess I’ll have to watch it again to experience the real horror of this B movie.