The deadline for the Top Musicals list is TODAY! Submit your ballot now, or read about it here

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga

Tools    

I'm watching it now. I bought it digitally for 9.99. I'm an hour and 24 minutes into it and it isn't very exciting or entertaining so far.
Spoiler: it doesn't get any better

What did you rate it?
Can't remember but probably 2 stars... and I absolutely ADORE Anya!

Why is this so long, yet it feels like not much has happened?
EXACTLY

It's just a simple revenge story, you can do that in 90 minutes

I finally finished it. It's too long and not entertaining enough. Surprisingly dull at times. Performances are alright. A coupe fun moments, but not enough. 5/10 is my rating. This wouldn't even make my top 50 of the year.

Mad Max is about world-building more than anything, so therein lies the special trait that keeps the series enjoyable. If the characters get invested in that world, it's easier to enjoy the movie as more than a clever action flick with a storyboard or two. Everything else does help when done right, but it's unfair to criticize the movie for being a "simple revenge story" when there are hundreds of movies that follow more takes on revenge stories. I must've seen 30 B-movies about a man taking revenge on some criminal for killing a family member or members.

Agree re: world-building. The little allusions to communities you never see (like the guys on stilts in the foreground in one of the shots from Fury Road), the way it drops you into an entire subculture and lets you glean their customs on the fly, is what draws people in.

The title character would have been better served if they had just made a limited series imho

Can we agree that part of this film’s turnout had to be a result of the Fury Road production? Either Miller has slowed down a bit or the studio was not letting it happen again, like that. For all the good and bad, I think that environment seeps into the movie and leads to the indescribable “movie magic”.

Fury Road was such a lightning in a bottle moment that may never happen again.

Ah, this forum saved me $ and time. Thanks MoFos