Your least favorite Hitchcock movie?

Tools    

Rope, it was so badly miscast. James Stewart's character should've been played by James Mason.
When wasn't James Stewart hopelessly miscast?

How open minded of you I would NEVER judge a person by the movies they watch. MovieGal watches some extreme cinema and yet she's one of the sweetest people here and I'm happy to call her a friend.
I think it's generally not okay to judge someone based on the movies they enjoy without at least hearing them out beforehand, but I do think this can be judged on a case-by-case basis. There are indeed plenty of racist, sexist, homophobic, etc. people out there who enjoy movies with positive portrayals of these elements specifically due to their positive portrayal of those elements. For instance, while I don't think American History X is racist, there are plenty of neo-Nazis who interpret the film as being in favor of neo-Nazis and like it for that reason. I'm definitely going to judge those people. Not necessarily for the fact of them liking the film but for the REASONS they liked it.

There are a lot of his movies that I haven't seen, but The Birds is the one that leaps to mind. I really didn't like that ending.
Yeah, I'm not quite sure what I was expecting from The Birds----there are SO MANY pop culture references to it---but I found it underwhelming and the tone to be very uneven.

Trouble with a capital "T"
I think it's generally not okay to judge someone based on the movies they enjoy without at least hearing them out beforehand, but I do think this can be judged on a case-by-case basis. There are indeed plenty of racist, sexist, homophobic, etc. people out there who enjoy movies with positive portrayals of these elements specifically due to their positive portrayal of those elements. For instance, while I don't think American History X is racist, there are plenty of neo-Nazis who interpret the film as being in favor of neo-Nazis and like it for that reason. I'm definitely going to judge those people. Not necessarily for the fact of them liking the film but for the REASONS they liked it.
A person should be judged (if judging is even necessary) on how they act, how they treat others and what their views are. You can not judge a person in a vacuum by solely knowing they like a certain movie.

It's bad form to say on a movie board that people who like a certain movie should be judged by it. I took the time to look up a bunch of post from people who say they liked Marnie, some of them were Takoma's friends, so does she think less of them for liking that movie??? And what about Matt who posted in good faith on this thread that Marnie is a 7/10 for him, is it fair to judge him??? I think not.

The truth is in here
I also think it's possible to know a film is problematic in some ways and be able to enjoy it despite that. For example I think McLintock! has a terrible and misogynistic message, but I still love it overall due to the great comic performances from John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara, and am able to recognize it as a product of its time. I can disagree with something a movie does yet find other things to appreciate about it. Things are not always so black-and-white.

Probably Champagne or The Farmer's Wife.

A person should be judged (if judging is even necessary) on how they act, how they treat others and what their views are. You can not judge a person in a vacuum by solely knowing they like a certain movie.

It's bad form to say on a movie board that people who like a certain movie should be judged by it. I took the time to look up a bunch of post from people who say they liked Marnie, some of them were Takoma's friends, so does she think less of them for liking that movie??? And what about Matt who posted in good faith on this thread that Marnie is a 7/10 for him, is it fair to judge him??? I think not.
I would say your real world views are commonly reflected in your stances on art. Like I said, if someone watches a film with problematic content and seems to approve of whichever ideas those are, it's not a far stretch to wonder if their real world views bear resemblances. There's a great deal of nuance which goes into this, but again, I think American History X is a prime example of this. The same goes with how someone responds to a highly political film which is heavily one-sided. It's not hard to determine someone's political stance based off of what they write on it (I've picked up on this with a bunch of people over the years).

I don't think it's fair to make a blanket statement that everyone who likes a film should be judged (provided this is what Takoma was referring to), but to quote what I said in my last reply: "...without at least hearing them out beforehand". I'm sure there are many fans of Marnie who aren't bad people, so I'm willing to hear everyone out on why they enjoyed any film.

My points, however, are that real world views and stances towards art aren't entirely separate concepts and, though rare, there are legitimate cases where it's okay to judge someone for the latter.

I also think it's possible to know a film is problematic in some ways and be able to enjoy it despite that. For example I think McLintock! has a terrible and misogynistic message, but I still love it overall due to the great comic performances from John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara, and am able to recognize it as a product of its time. I can disagree with something a movie does yet find other things to appreciate about it. Things are not always so black-and-white.
That's fair, but I'm referring to people who'd be approving of or agreeing with the problematic content. Not necessarily being able to look past that content and still being able to enjoy the film. Depending on what they say in the former category, that's where I'd start to raise eyebrows.

This thread is making me aware that there are more Hitchcock movies that I haven't seen than ones I've seen!
i haven't seen a lot of his early stuff from the 30s

The truth is in here
That's fair, but I'm referring to people who'd be approving of or agreeing with the problematic content. Not necessarily being able to look past that content and still being able to enjoy the film. Depending on what they say in the former category, that's where I'd start to raise eyebrows.
Your post is fine. I understood the point you were making.
It is bizarre though that some neo-nazis co-opt American History X, considering the message is that hate will only lead you to live a miserable and unfulfilling life.
WARNING: spoilers below
Plus Furlong's character learns that the values he's been taught are wrong and even becomes best friends with a black inmate.

Your post is fine. I understood the point you were making.
It is bizarre though that some neo-nazis co-opt American History X, considering the message is that hate with only lead you to live a miserable and unfulfilling life.
Plus Furlong's character learns that the values he's been taught are wrong and even becomes best friends with a black inmate.
To my understanding, the takeaway which neo-Nazis take from the film is that Derek was actually correct to hate black people and that the ending is supposedly seen as evidence that he was right along and shouldn't have fallen out with his group, or so they say.

It's a horrendous misunderstanding of the film, but whatevs, those people aren't my problem to solve.

Interestingly enough, when I watched the film with one of my roommates (who's of African American descent), he wondered if Derek was going to go back to his old ways after the ending and if it would just make for a repeat of Derek's reaction to his father's murder.

The trick is not minding
[
It's a horrendous misunderstanding of the film, but whatevs, those people aren't my problem to solve.]

Yeah, this is an example of forging the narrative on their part. They have to find reasons to back up their hate.