Francis Ford Coppola's Megalopolis

Tools    

One thing I forgot to add in my review: the film as presented on Monday was with the "live participation" that Coppola had suggested he would like to have included with all showings of the movie (I don't believe it will be).

It is one of the absolute coolest things in any movie ever, despite being an incredibly simple idea.

At one point halfway through the movie, a live actor stepped up to a microphone set up by the side of the screen and asked a question to Cesar (Adam Driver's character). The question was a thoughtful one, and then Cesar seemed to think for a few seconds, and then answered the question, looking in the direction of the live actor off screen.

I don't know if this has ever been done in a major movie directed by someone of Coppola's stature, but it was incredibly fun and offbeat.

I absolutely love this movie and can't wait to watch it again. And again. And again.

I did not take a photo of the "live participation" scene in the movie, but someone who did shared it in social media:

New poster

Megalopolis
(2024) - Directed by Francis Ford Coppola
--------------------------------------------
Drama / Epic / Sci-Fi/ Dystopian / Postmodernism

-------------------------------------------------
"When does an empire die?"

I can only hope that my reputation among fellow online moviegoers isn't that of a fanboy or an overemotional child, especially considering that there are some directors, such as Coppola, are extremely dear to my heart. I could go on about how one of my favorites, Don Bluth, only has one movie I'd give five-stars and try to use that as proof of something, but I want to make it perfectly clear: I am willing to criticize hit movies. I am willing to compliment bad movies. I say this all because Megalopolis has been the ONE movie I've been more excited about for years. I have been prepared for the idea that this could be his masterpiece or a total disaster. I've heard much of the commentary regarding this controversial CGI art gallery. And now that I've seen it, I'm ready to write my review, flesh out my final thoughts and come to a consensus.

In an alternate take on modern society, Cesar Catalina (Adam Driver) is an architect who can control time is attempting to rebuild his city of New Rome into Megalopolis, a city made entirely out of his original material Megalon. While his views clash against a powerful rival, Mayor Frank Cicero (Giancarlo Esposito), he develops feelings for Cicero's daughter, Julia (Nathalie Emmanuel), and as well has to deal with the antics of his jealous cousin, Clodio (Shia Labeouf). In this modern Rome, Cesar becomes the victim of scandals, accusations and even violence in all of his efforts to reinvent modern society, especially from his ex-mistress, TV reporter Wow Platinum (Aubrey Plaza).

Having already seen the gloriously ambitious surrealist film, The Holy Mountain, I felt that I was fully prepared for anything, be it conventional or experimental. I went into the theater with a very specific mindset: see if symbolism is telling the story. And why? Because I've heard about how confusing the visuals make it, and I wanted to see if that's what Coppola was trying to achieve. And I left the theater thinking, “What the hell were they talking about? I'm following this story just fine. The symbolism only has a say in a few scenes.” I mean, seriously. This is what it is: a few powerful people are arguing about the fate of their city while dealing with personal problems. Easy. You could make a sitcom out of that premise. I even felt that way a half-hour in during the circus scene.

But then it hit me. The circus scene was showing these people dancing around with excellent choreography while you heard Cesar's philosophical ramblings meant you had to try and focus on two different things, right? But both were being shoved in your face, so which takes the front lines? THAT WAS IT. There were no front lines. This creative manifesto (as Rotten Tomatoes calls it) is actually a challenge to us. It was testing the audience and which of the two we would pay attention to, or at least that was my theory. Now I was already used to the idea of being amazed by the visuals, having seen many of the trailers. I went into it ready to try and put together a story, but it was so easy that in the end I decided to focus on the philosophy instead.

So this movie is a modern day take on Ancient Rome, and why? Obviously, like Babylon, it's comparing our current behavior to the behavior of a sinful time. So how does this play into the philosophy and the visuals combining into one? Well, Coppola's been making semi-autobiographical movies about his philosophies toward filmmaking, so it seemed to make perfect sense: Coppola is TRYING to distract most people from the story by flooding us with visuals, but is also trying to see if we can put together the philosophies and follow along with the varying takes on humanity's duty to society, and there are plenty of those and quite a bit of character development here. The fact that the characters are at least fairly engrossing seems to justify that, especially when the casting is high-bar.

So this is my theory: Coppola is testing us. If we're able to follow along with the philosophies, we're real moviegoers and we're looking for a deeper meaning in things, which means we're a lot like Cesar wants to be. If we're distracted by visuals (whether enjoyed or not), then we're as shallow as the highfalutin millionaires spending their money on wine, women and song. Cesar himself criticized that behavior and aimed for a society where people are growing. In other words, if we see more than that in Megalopolis, we are the future. If not, then we're shallow. This is a bit egotistical for the mighty Coppola, but whatevs. If the Redditers are gonna praise Ridley Scott for calling his own Blade Runner one of the greatest movies of all time, then this little one-twenty-mill stunt from Francis' own pocket, assuming my theory is true, should be fine. He HAS already made movies about his rejection for what we all think. In fact, one can even say that Coppola might be taking that philosophy a step further by not only rejecting us, but turning our praise and disdain back on us by having the movie dissect us while we're dissecting the movie. All of this in a simple story about a fight for power among a few parties.

Now that I'm done with my theory, let's get into the technical stuff. The visuals are undoubtedly some of the greatest, if not THE greatest, ever seen in the modern age. There are surrealist paintings involved here that morph into sensations only before captured in a few instances by The Life of Pi. In fact, the dream city of Megalopolis takes my beloved Chocolate Room and shows the hot iron stirring rod up its ass. Even as I was focusing on the story, I remained impressed by the visuals. While I didn't know exactly what visuals I would get through the two-hour whole, I knew what to expect, allowing my surprises among the visuals to be perfectly tame.

As for the story, I liked it. This glorious cast of characters was not only fun to watch for two reasons going hand in hand: the acting was spot-on through and through, and the philosophies and conversations (addressed as the mark of bravery and controversy) were realistic and somewhat fun to hear because of the realism, even though a little pretentiousness could be sensed along the way. This helped the story and the themes to progress naturally and more easily that what the average moviegoer may let on. So do the visuals offer a distraction? Can I negatively compare this more coherent film to The Tree of Life? So far, I'm not really thinking so. But there are a couple things I need to address. First of all, this movie's introducing art film behavior to the CGI masses, and normalizing CGI to the type who use the word “auteur.” This is an exceptionally bold move. Secondly, it can be said that there isn't ENOUGH time travel, but we got exactly what we needed from the time travel's presence in the movie as far as developing the story goes, so once again this is a movie that goes beyond expectations for thematic reasons. Thirdly, the philosophical quotes need a little more coherency, but that's about it.

All in all, I have to say that the biggest flaw of this movie is really how innovative it is. This is a challenge that I think succeeds at the thematic in the long run, and manages to tell its story perfectly well despite it amazing visuals, so those who get distracted from the story really just aren't paying attention. They often go hand-in-hand, sometimes on a symbolic level bordering on the psychological. This is some very fine filmmaking from Coppola. This is a level of bombast that succeeds in technicality, base but characterized storytelling, some symbolism and heavy social philosophies. Personally, as a Coppola fan, I am quite satisfied with my current consensus. However, this movie is likely going to be dissected until the end up time. I could be totally wrong on a couple things, and am willing to accept that outcome. This movie might be hated by half the world now, but Coppola just might be right. The acting, visuals, and ease of storytelling warrant plenty of replay value, and two hours and twenty minutes really isn't THAT long anymore. There's every reason to want to go back to this, and because of that, more discussions about the film and its OWN future may rise, and eventually, more about society and OUR own future may rise as well. So forgive me for being a Coppola fanboy who happens to praise this film, but I must be honest as I am analytical, and I hope I was able to prove that.

= 98.5

This film does not affect Francis Ford Coppola's Directorial Score. He remains at #1 on my Best Directors List with an average score of 100 / 5.

Comedy gold:

My thoughts after a 2nd viewing:

Francis Ford Coppola's MEGALOPOLIS: A Fable
(2nd IMAX viewing)

Wow.

Just wow.

The experience of watching Megalopolis in a large IMAX screen is truly transcendental, and in some ways, the 2nd viewing was perhaps even more rewarding than the first (and that already blew me away).

Coppola's latest masterpiece serves as a stark reminder of just how risk-averse big-budget moviemaking has become in the last few decades.

I can't think of a single scene in this entire movie that doesn't completely challenge the narrative conventions of commercial moviemaking - not a single one. The movie reaches for the sky in terms of artistic ambitions - and frequently ends up going well beyond.

I'm pretty sure the way this challenges and breaks with conventional narrative traditions may push a lot of viewers outside of their comfort zone. They are the ones who will not find anything rewarding in this movie; maybe it's part of being a maverick filmmaker that your movies will inevitably alienate many mainstream viewers.

Another thing that I started thinking about during my 2nd viewing is the fact that both Coppola and George Lucas have used self-financed movies to express their sincere concerns about what leads to the downfall of democracy.

In very different ways, both Cesar Catilina and Padme Skywalker become obsessed with what they see as the looming thread to democracy as they know it.

This is what makes directors like Coppola and Lucas truly unique among their peers - their willingness to spend some of the millions they made into movies that studios would never have financed, because at the end of the day, nothing mattered more to them than being able to express their concerns through their art.

That's the gift of a true artist.

The storytelling really isn't that ambitious. It's not as difficult to put together as people are making it out to be. The visuals are the most ambitious thing about the movie, but the themes are really where the movie is at because, at least based on my theory, it's likely talking about mankind's need for flashiness as a distraction from the real world, when the real world itself is in need of a deep Spring cleaning. As for the story, it's relatively simple. I repeat: a few powerful people bicker over the fate of the city while dealing with personal relationships. I'm certain there are many political dramas on TV and film with that premise in mind. It's really the sci-fi and Roman visuals that give it its unique edge.

There's a couple of technical specifications I just realized I left out in my 2nd review.

The first is in regards to the "live participation" bit in the movie. There's no doubt that it's a lot more fun with it, but unfortunately there's very few presentations around that include it; without the live participation, the movie goes on exactly the same, but the question posed to Catilina is read by a off-screen voice; the part where he answers is exactly the same.

The 2nd point is in regards to the use of IMAX ratio. Coppola uses the "full IMAX" ratio for at least 3 sequences in the movie, beginning with the Saturnalia sequence. This is obviously the first time Coppola has used a full IMAX ratio for any of his movies, and it's an absolute delight to see what he does with it.

I imagine the extra image from those sequences will be entirely missing when the movie is available for home viewing; so watching it in IMAX is the only way to really enjoy the movie at its fullest the way the director intended.

I imagine the extra image from those sequences will be entirely missing when the movie is available for home viewing; so watching it in IMAX is the only way to really enjoy the movie at its fullest the way the director intended.

Coppola knew that not everyone would be able to go to Imax. That isn't a fair assessment.