Does drinking coffee at night keep you awake?

Tools    

I can drink it five minutes before going to bed and it doesn't bother me.

Yes. It's a bad idea for me to drink coffee past 8pm.

The Adventure Starts Here!
I can drink it five minutes before going to bed and it doesn't bother me.

I'm the same, usually, but I'm a night owl anyway, so it's tough to tell. I DON'T usually have coffee with caffeine except first thing in my day (which isn't first thing in the morning), but I could. Strangely enough, I recently discovered that the Atkins protein shake I typically have in the morning instead of breakfast is a bad idea in the late evening. THAT will keep me awake longer than even I want to be awake. (Then again, it does say the mocha latte flavor has the equivalent caffeine of a cup of coffee, so...)

Why actual coffee doesn't keep me awake but that protein shake will is beyond me.

What I've read is that caffeine will typically stay in your system for about six hours, give or take. That sounds about right based on my own experience. You know, except with late-night coffee.

Does anybody remember Jolt Cola? Man, sometimes I miss that.

Trouble with a capital "T"
...What I've read is that caffeine will typically stay in your system for about six hours, give or take. That sounds about right based on my own experience...
I've read that too and I believe it's true for the major physiological changes caffeine causes in the bodies nervous system (like making one jittery and nervous). And if someone routinely has a cup or two of coffee in the morning their body adapts to it and sleep isn't usually interrupted.

But if someone has a double shot espresso who doesn't drink coffee and doesn't have lots of caffeine from other sources, it will then disrupt sleep. I know because it does it to me like clockwork. I'll go caffeine free for 4-5 days then when I'm tired I'll have a single or double shot espresso drink in the morning...While the noticeable effects of caffeine wears off by the time I go to bed, I find I can't go to sleep easy and when I do sleep I can't go into a deep sleep. But if I drink coffee every morning then I sleep fine.

I dont drink coffee whatsoever so it doesnt affect me either way.

I think it depends on the caffeine tolerance of the person drinking it. Regular consumers of coffee likely have a higher tolerance than those who drink it infrequently or not at all. But, in general, drinking or eating anything containing caffeine at night does interfere with sleep for the average person. Most recommendations that I've read suggest not drinking caffeine after 2pm.

Nope don't drink coffee but I like energy drinks - Red Bull, and Monster Ultra White are my favourites. Terribleeeeeee things.

I only have two a day though(compared to cups and cups of coffee) and not at night.

I love coffee. Drink a lot of it. In general it’s not really a problem for me to sleep after.

But I do try to avoid having my coffee super duper late… at least a couple of hours before bed.

Nope don't drink coffee but I like energy drinks - Red Bull, and Monster Ultra White are my favourites. Terribleeeeeee things.

I only have two a day though(compared to cups and cups of coffee) and not at night.
I am afraid to try these energy drinks. I figure coffee is enough caffeine.

I've only ever had two cups of coffee in my life, and I'm super sensitive to caffeine. If I had a cup before bed I probably wouldn't sleep the rest of the night. I had a cup of tea the other day around 7pm and didn't realize it was green tea not herbal. I was up past midnight trying to figure out why my thoughts wouldn't stop racing before being like, "THE TEA!!!!!".