The MoFo Top 100 Musicals Countdown

→ in
Tools    

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
The Meaning of Life is spectacular with some genuinely creatively funny numbers including the "Every Sperm is Sacred" and "The Galaxy Song." I have it on an old DVD collecting dust, but it's a wonderful film and so glad it made the list. I remember watching it on TV late at night when I was around 11 or 12 thinking it was the most bizarre and craziest thing I'd ever seen. As much as I love it, I didn't have it on my list.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

It's been so long since I've seen The Meaning of Life that I didn't even remember it being a musical. Regardless, despite loving Monty Python's Flying Circus, I've never cared for their movies.

I haven't seen that version of Cinderella, nor was I aware of it's existence.
Monty Python's Meaning of Life has three bonafide Musical moments among its episodic sketches ("Every Sperm is Sacred", "The Galaxy Song", and "It’s Christmas in Heaven"). I believe three songs was the minimum for inclusion on the list.

I love Python and I never considered it for my ballot.

As for "Cinderella", I didn't think TV movies were eligible nor do I think they should be, but even if they were I never would have voted for "Cinderella".

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I forgot the opening line.
It's started! It's started! I've seen one of those :

100. Cinderella (1965) - I've obviously heard of Cinderella before, but never knew about this mid-60s musical version of the story featuring Lesley Ann Warren, Ginger Rogers and Walter Pidgeon. I wonder if there'll be more Cinderellas show up here.

99. Monty Python's The Meaning of Life - One of the Python gang's lesser films, but still good enough for me to have seen it at least a dozen times. Basically a loose way to structure a series of sketches featuring subjects that range from birth to death. Please don't mention the vomiting sequence while I'm eating. I never really thought of this as a musical, but there are enough songs in it to well and truly push it over the line. You know, I never found this entry as funny as the other Python movies for some reason - but again, that's not to say that I didn't find it funny, or some segments hilarious. It's just, these guys set the bar so high! How do you follow up Holy Grain and Life of Brian? It's impossible.

Seen - 1/2

Latest Review : Double Down (2005)

The Meaning of Life was number 17 on my list. There are a couple of parts that I don't care for much (the opening, the dining scene) but the rest I find pretty hilarious and the musical numbers are memorable.

Edit: I don't think I've ever seen that version of Cinderella.

Seen: 1/2

Thank you Thursday Next for all your hard work and a nice freshen up on the styling for the entry reveals too, Yoda. Looking good

Thanks for hosting, Thursday! And the movie template style looks good too. I am the third and final Mofo, after mrblond and Daniel M, who voted for The Meaning of Life. I had it at #19. Glad it made the cut. Good job guys we got it in there and ahead of some TV movie about Cinderella too. Success!
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I looooove the design of the countdown posts! Well worth the wait.

As for the films, I haven't seen either. I might have seen Meaning of Life back when I was a kid, but I don't know. If I did, I don't remember anything so yeah: NIL for now.

Trouble with a capital "T"
Late to the party but I had meant to say that the graphics design is neato! Kudos to Yoda for that and his behind the scenes hard work. And a BIG Thanks to Thursday for taking on the hosting duties and doing this for the MoFo community!

2lists36points
tick, tick...BOOM!
Director

Lin-Manuel Miranda, 2021

Starring

Andrew Garfield, Alexandra Shipp, Robin de Jesús, Michaela Jaé Rodriguez

3lists37points
Amadeus
Director

Miloš Forman, 1984

Starring

F. Murray Abraham, Tom Hulce, Elizabeth Berridge, Simon Callow

I'v seen both. I really liked Andrew Garfield's performance in Tick Tick Boom, but felt the film was a little too long and dragged at times. I liked enough about it to rate it a 7/10, but it was never in contention for my ballot. Amadeus is excellent, but I don't really think of it as a musical, so it didn't make my ballot.

Seen: 3/4

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Amadeus is excellent, but I don't really think of it as a musical, so it didn't make my ballot.

Seen: 3/4
I assume it makes it on some kind of operatic technicality but couldn't be bothered to watch all 3 hours of it again to check. 3 users evidently thought it qualified so it's here.

I have seen Amadeus at some point in my life. Possibly not my adult life, I can't remember. I'm trying to think of besides Cuckoo if there's any Forman I particularly like. I have seen a few of his Czech films, but they really didn't do it for me.

I haven't seen Tick Tick Boom.

I guess Amadeus is the one musical without singing then?

I am sorely disappointed that Amadeus made it this low on the chart. I adore Amadeus. It is a perfectly melodramatic musical biopic with pure finesse. But I didn't consider it a "musical" so I didn't vote for it, but if I had it would've been my number 3. I must've seen it five times already. In fact, I believe I watched it twice a couple month ago.

Seen 1/4

I have seen Amadeus at some point in my life. Possibly not my adult life, I can't remember. I'm trying to think of besides Cuckoo if there's any Forman I particularly like. I have seen a few of his Czech films, but they really didn't do it for me.

I haven't seen Tick Tick Boom.

I guess Amadeus is the one musical without singing then?
Nope. Opera-themed movie, and opera's all about singing. I'm certain of what it is, though. I voted for it.

The list:

#100 - Cinderella (1965)
#99 - The Meaning of Life (1983)
#98 - tick...tick...BOOM! (2021)
#97 - Amadeus (1984)

None from my list, but a worthy set of competitors. I'm actually surprised Amadeus didn't rank higher.

It’s A Classic Rope-A-Dope
I liked Tick Tick Boom, but not enough to give it a vote. Been meaning to rewatch Amadeus for quite a while now. I really liked it first go, my kind of flick. Like others, I wasn’t considering it here.

#JusticeForHamilton

Two more donuts for me.

I've seen Amadeus and I remember liking it a lot, but to be honest, I didn't consider it as a musical.

As a Puerto Rican, I should probably see tick, tick... BOOM! but I just haven't found the time.

Reply to Topic