The MoFo Top 100 Musicals Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Lubitsch might be one of those famous directors that I don't think I've ever seen any of their films.

I highly recommend watching at least To Be or Not to Be.

7. The Smiling Lieutenant
25. Commentary! The Musical

If this ever finishes, we should do a chart of the ones that are the least similar to a musical (with the one which is the least similar to a musical at the top).
My #25 choice may well win that. I thought it'd be a one pointer, but someone else must've seen it qualified after I did and added it. The only time I've ever tried to play the 1 pointer game and I failed.

So far I've seen 2 of them. The Meaning of Life, which I didn't even like when I saw it during the 6 months I found MP funny and Amadeus, which I've only seen once back in the 80's but remember thinking was very good. Probably not long after it was released on video.

Amadeus was #24 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 1980s as well as #50 on the MoFo Top 100 Refresh.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Nothing yet for me. My list is pretty basic so I'm pretty sure it will take a while for anything from my ballot to hit.

I think I've seen bits of tick ... tick ... Boom! while my wife watched it, but not enough to fairly rate it. I'm not big on Larson in general, though. Amadeus is another one I haven't seen in a long, long time--I rate it highly and it was on my short list, but I ultimately decided between not having seen it in forever (I won't be consistent on this, fair warning) and it not being "musical" enough, I left it off my list. Genre borders are porous, however, so happy enough to see it here.

I haven't seen The Smiling Lieutenant. I didn't love Walk the Line. Biopics in general are a tough sell for me (though there are good ones!) and, to be honest, I'm always a little puzzled by biopics that don't show off the reason the movie exists in the first place--in this case, Johnny Cash's singing. I get that you like to have the actors do it all, and to be fair, Phoenix does as good a job as he can... but he's not Cash. No vote from me, but cheers to its supporters.

Nice I had Amadeus at #15. It is a great MUSICAL.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I haven't seen either Smiling Lieutenant or Walk the Line. I love Johnny Cash, but I tend to shy away from musical biopic. Having not seen it, I cannot comment on its status as 'being a musical'.

Seen 3 out of 6
List 0 out of 25

For tomorrow I'm gonna guess...

96. Hair
95. Frozen

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I love this version of Cinderella, and I specifically asked about the eligibility of TV versions of musicals, and I was told that they were not eligible, so it was immediately removed from my potential list at the time, and I didn't vote for it.

I can't say with 100% certainty that it would have made my final list, but it had a very good chance if I knew it would have been allowed.

I'm glad to see that it made the list anyway, but I wish the eligibility rules had been clearer or enforced better.
You asked about some specific movies, and I asked you whether they were proper movies that happened to be on TV or like filmed versions of live stage plays, which wouldn't be eligible.

I admit it could have been clearer in advance whether TV movies were eligible. I didn't really think it was going to be an issue until Cinderella turned up in the top 100. At that point, having not ruled specifically against TV movies, it would have been unfair to exclude it.

Yes, your reply was kind of "on the fence" as to whether or not TV versions of musicals were eligible, but another MoFo, (who I won't name), but someone who has been here a long time, has hosted one of these countdowns, and seems to know the rules, messaged me telling me that TV movies were not eligible.

So I trusted this person's reply and removed all the musicals from my list that would have been ineligible.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I like The Smiling Lieutenant, and it has some good songs, but I don't consider it a favorite musical, so it was never considered for my list.

Walk the Line is a great movie with top-notch performances, and I love Johnny Cash, so I considered this movie for my list, but there was just no room for it.