The MoFo Top 100 Musicals Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I really liked West Side Story (2021), but it just missed out on my ballot. I watched Begin Again today and thought it was pretty good, but I do feel it is the director's weakest film. I enjoyed Gold Diggers of 1933, but it was never in contention for my ballot. Anastasia was enjoyable, but not one of my favourite musicals. I also watched Tommy today and thought it was fantastic.

Seen: 12/14

Never seen or heard of the Gold Diggers movie…

I’ve seen Anastasia. I do like it and think it’s a fine animated film, but not enough to make my list.

I watched The Smiling Lieutenant today. I thought the acting was fine and it looks nice, but the story wasn't that interesting.

updated: seen 13/14.

My guesses for tomorrow's movies: Into the Woods and Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.

Seen Anastasia. Like most of my life ago. Been meaning to rewatch it and probably will after this list.

I have of course seen The Golddiggers of 1933. I definitely should have had a Busby Berkeley movie on my list. I don't even have a Fred and Ginger movie on my list. I am so ashamed of my fat thumbs. I was going to make sure I had at least one movie on my list for certain directors, lyricists, composers and performers. I am ashamed I have no Busby or Fred or Ginger on my list.
I have never seen Anastasia. I do have a number of Disney animated films on my list. Only one is a newer film. I am not as familiar with the newer Disney musicals.

I'm pretty sure I saw Anastasia and probably liked it? But it was so long ago. Gold Diggers of 1933 I've definitely seen and it is a good bit of fun. On another day it might have made my list, but I regret nothing.

Uh. Yeah. It was better. It looks like they watered down the lyrics from the original and also the dancing is more restrained than the original and the rhetoric back-and-forth isn't built up as well nor is there the chemistry and true piss and vinegar in the "to America, or not to America?" question of the original between George Chakiris and Rita Moreno.

Also by staging it during the day and in the streets with all the bystanders watching on like it was a flash mob, lends the remake to more of an artificial performative "hey look at us sing and dance" as opposed to the original where it's a high stakes genuine meet up to discuss whether or not we should stay in America or abandon America if no one wants us here. The fact that in the original it was staged at night on a rooftop away from the crowds of the people on the streets, really heightens the sense that... yes, these are a people who don't feel welcome and can't openly have discourse. All that seems undermined in the remake. Of course, again, I haven't seen the remake, just the clip posted, but have zero interest as West Side Story is a classic and canon among musical films and a part of Americana.

*EDIT* Yeah. Going from the lyrics: "Puerto Rico, my hearts devotion... let it sink back in the ocean! Always the hurricanes blowing... always the population growing!" to the neutered "Puerto Rico, you lovely island... island of tropical breezes. Always the pineapples growing... always the coffee blossoms blowing!"

ummm... what, the Hell?

I generally agree with most of your points, but I'll share my thoughts on the original when it comes up. Still, as far as the remake goes, the "America" song is my favorite musical moment from it.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Never seen Gold Diggers.
I don't think I've ever seen it either. Of course, for me, I know about it because of the "We're in the Money" song which has become a piece of pop culture, but also because it's featured in one of my favorite films of all time, Bonnie and Clyde in which it's playing in one of the theaters when they are laying low on the lam from the law:

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

Against my better judgment, I attempted once again to watch The Prince of Egypt and once again couldn’t finish it. I got as far as Moses talking to God through the burning bush and then I gave up.

I’m not sure what the deal is with other atheists that supposedly love this movie. I can only assume that those people were raised with religion - and so the story is familiar and perhaps comforting to them. However, I was raised in a secular household and all this thing did was annoy me. Between the songs and the religious content this was an absolute no go for me.

Gold Diggers of 1933 is a fun film with a top cast. "We're in the Money" is also my favorite song from the movie, with a plus that it's sung by the beautiful Ginger Rogers. The Busby Berkeley choreographed sequences were top-notch of course, and one of my favorite character actors, Ned Sparks, is awesome just showing his scowling face again. I've seen all of the Gold Digger films but didn't put any of them on my ballot but I'll be glad every time I see one make it.

I've not seen Anastasia yet but not from lack of want, just lack of opportunity when other films come along and I forget about it. One day...one day. Neither made my list.

So far:
#1. On the Town
#25. Neptune's Daughter (one-pointer)

I forgot the opening line.
Seen both of these, so I'm on a good run as far as having seen stuff goes...

88. Gold Diggers of 1933 (1933) - I think I watched this solely because of how unusual the title is, and was surprised to find many songs I knew (it's fun when you find out where a song comes from after knowing it for so long) and I was surprised by the fact that I was having a laugh here and there. The comedy didn't always hit home for me, but when the funny stuff comes at such a breakneck pace there's always something coming that'll tickle you. I don't know if this was some kind of sequel, but it followed on in much the same manner as 42nd Street - something I found out later, and when I watched 42nd Street I saw that it was basically the same thing. Enjoyable enough, but not as much of a favourite to end up on my ballot.

87. Anastasia (1997) - I watched this for the first time a couple of years ago, and didn't like it all that much. On Letterboxd I wrote : "Seems like it wants to be an old Disney film, and is a little stuck in the past. Bartok the bat however completely changes my feeling about what I'm watching every time he opens his mouth. The comedy relief is fantastic - and indeed provides relief for me. I feel all the songs sound the same and lack originality - none of them being particularly memorable." Apologies to those who love it. I think it was probably one of the last of a certain Disney era, and that things have changed a lot since then.

Seen 9/14

Latest Review : Double Down (2005)

Seen neither. I do want to see Gold Diggers of 1933 sometime. When I'm not on a horror binge.

Seen: 6 of 14
List: 0

I'm not sure what the deal is with other atheists that supposedly love this movie. I can only assume that those people were raised with religion - and so the story is familiar and perhaps comforting to them.
Not the case for me, I just think the songs, animation, and characterization are good (it's also a decently paced/edited movie).

The actual messages of the movie however, I just don't internalize cause I find them very disagreeable, and for more reasons than because of my non-belief in god(s).

WARNING: spoilers below
For instance, I don't appreciate the line "to one lost sheep, a shepherd boy is greater than the richest king", which directly suggests you consider sheeps' perspective of humans. This consideration is immediately discarded when God allegedly commands Moses to butcher countless sheep to paint their doorways in blood, so the all powerful all-knowing God doesn't accidentally murder Hebrew children in his brilliant plot to indiscriminately slaughter all firstborn sons just to send a message.

This isn't just abominable behavior to sheep, but what the **** did literally every firstborn son in Egypt ever do to you, God? This doesn't just beg questions of the religion, it begs questions of the movie, the characters, and how we're supposed to feel about it. Can't say I'm a big fan of it as a vegan either. But hey, the soundtrack slaps.

Seen both of these, so I'm on a good run as far as having seen stuff goes...

88. Gold Diggers of 1933 (1933) - I think I watched this solely because of how unusual the title is, and was surprised to find many songs I knew (it's fun when you find out where a song comes from after knowing it for so long) and I was surprised by the fact that I was having a laugh here and there. The comedy didn't always hit home for me, but when the funny stuff comes at such a breakneck pace there's always something coming that'll tickle you. I don't know if this was some kind of sequel, but it followed on in much the same manner as 42nd Street - something I found out later, and when I watched 42nd Street I saw that it was basically the same thing. Enjoyable enough, but not as much of a favourite to end up on my ballot.

87. Anastasia (1997) - I watched this for the first time a couple of years ago, and didn't like it all that much. On Letterboxd I wrote : "Seems like it wants to be an old Disney film, and is a little stuck in the past. Bartok the bat however completely changes my feeling about what I'm watching every time he opens his mouth. The comedy relief is fantastic - and indeed provides relief for me. I feel all the songs sound the same and lack originality - none of them being particularly memorable." Apologies to those who love it. I think it was probably one of the last of a certain Disney era, and that things have changed a lot since then.

Seen 9/14
LOVED Gold Digger of 1933

I generally agree with most of your points, but I'll share my thoughts on the original when it comes up. Still, as far as the remake goes, the "America" song is my favorite musical moment from it.
You are aware that the Pineapple breezes lyrics are the original lyrics from the Broadway show?

Also, looking at those numbers and how far we are along, I'm really starting to worry that my campaign for a certain movie didn't succeed.
If it's the film I think it is then I don't think you have any worries at all. I thought it was guarateed before and am certain now.

Aside of the ones already mentioned, both versions of All Quiet on the Western Front made it on the War countdown
Two of the three. I'm pretty sure the '79 version would've counted.

I've not seen either of yesterdays reveal.

You are aware that the Pineapple breezes lyrics are the original lyrics from the Broadway show?
I think this reply was meant for iluv2viddyfilms, who said...

*EDIT* Yeah. Going from the lyrics: "Puerto Rico, my hearts devotion... let it sink back in the ocean! Always the hurricanes blowing... always the population growing!" to the neutered "Puerto Rico, you lovely island... island of tropical breezes. Always the pineapples growing... always the coffee blossoms blowing!"

ummm... what, the Hell?

If it's the film I think it is then I don't think you have any worries at all. I thought it was guarateed before and am certain now.
I’m not sure which movie you’re thinking of, but I doubt we’re talking about the same movie. This is a movie that I nominated in Group Watch and also privately messaged several people asking them to watch it. I didn’t message you about it though because I suspect you would probably hate it.