Alien: Romulus

Tools    

If you think the "fan service" was what the movie was running on, you didn't understand the film

You don't just tell anyone "they don't understand the film." You tell them "this is how I see it."

Welcome to the human race...
If you think the "fan service" was what the movie was running on, you didn't understand the film
what else would it be running on, a flaccid attempt at warping the narrative and emotional throughlines of logan into a multiverse buddy comedy? the fan service seems preferable at that point.

what else would it be running on, a flaccid attempt at warping the narrative and emotional throughlines of logan into a multiverse buddy comedy? the fan service seems preferable at that point.
It's a film about relationships, and it would still make sense if you didn't understand the "fan service". You really don't need to appreciate all of the "inside references" to get what the movie is doing.

It's a film about relationships, and it would still make sense if you didn't understand the "fan service". You really don't need to appreciate all of the "inside references" to get what the movie is doing.

Lotd of movies are about relationships. They're not all five-stars. You don't even have to watch D&W to know that.

Speaking of Romulus, has anyone caught
WARNING: "Spoiler" spoilers below
the alleged Ripley cameo?

Just finished an interview with Alvarez regarding the film. His explanation for the cameo was that it was cleared with the family and they thought that the actor would have wanted it after being “shunned” by Hollywood.

That’s a nice story, but I still don’t think it was worth the trouble. As a casual fan of the franchise, a full-blown animatronic would have worked better. Throw me in the time-machine and give me a janky creation.

I feel they could have served the story equally well going with a new character

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Watched this today and it was alright. It started well, the world was well rendered, suitably gloomy. For a while I thought it might make some more interesting choices about moral dilemmas and the nature of humanity under pressure... But then it was mostly evil AI, like HAL does Alien. And then it got a bit silly and too reliant on trying to recreate moments/images/lines from previous films. Still, it was an enjoyable enough ride for the most part. David Jonsson (from Rye Lane!) was good.

The main problem is that there wasn't really enough new to justify its existence. But that's not really a problem confined to this movie. Every single trailer beforehand was for a sequel or franchise entry.

Watched this today and it was alright. It started well, the world was well rendered, suitably gloomy. For a while I thought it might make some more interesting choices about moral dilemmas and the nature of humanity under pressure... But then it was mostly evil AI, like HAL does Alien. And then it got a bit silly and too reliant on trying to recreate moments/images/lines from previous films. Still, it was an enjoyable enough ride for the most part. David Jonsson (from Rye Lane!) was good.

The main problem is that there wasn't really enough new to justify its existence. But that's not really a problem confined to this movie. Every single trailer beforehand was for a sequel or franchise entry.

Yeah that was the meat and potatoes of the story that would have worked. When they went the fan service...action set piece...and CGI in the third act it's when the film fell apart. You don't need more set pieces you need to let the tempo of the set pieces play out. It's why the newest Quiet Place worked out with less than Romulus did with more.

They were playing it safe by relying on "traditional" stroytelling, meaning storytelling similar to the first two films. I commented on this, acknowledging the pro of playing it safe in a franchise threathened by sequelitis and the con on a lack of originality, but overall I think it was Fede Alvarez's direction and Jonsson's performance and character that justified it. On top of which, it's the first time a habitually fast-paced Alien film felt appropriate, considering that the first attempt was a Paul W.S. Anderson film.

My review: This feels really unnecessary. We have seen this before in the other Alien films and similar films, usually done better. Alien: Romulus doesn't do enough distinctively to stand out. Performances are hit and miss. Cailee Spaeny, David Jonsson, and Isabela Merced are effective, but the rest of the cast fell flat for me. No one here even comes close to matching Sigourney Weaver's iconic performance in the original Alien. It's not very scary and only moderately entertaining. For me, this is the weakest of the Alien films. 6/10 is my rating or
there's franchise has played out.

I feel they could have served the story equally well going with a new character
What was your rating?

What was your rating?
I don't remember, but it wasn't very high.

Speaking of Romulus, has anyone caught
WARNING: "Spoiler" spoilers below
the alleged Ripley cameo?
i missed it