Alien: Romulus

Tools    

I doubt anyone cares but here is my ranking list of all the Alien films from best to not-so-best. Feel free to add yours too. I'm interested to see what you all think. I left out the Predator crossovers.

1) Alien
2) Aliens
3) Prometheus
4) Covenant
5) Resurrection
6) Alien 3

Yokayp.

Aliens, Alien, Resurrection, Prometheus, 3, Covenant

New poster out!

The more I watch the trailer the more excited I get. According to Wiki this is a standalone film set between 'Alien' and 'Aliens.' Definitely looking forward to it. Will certainly see it on the big screen at the movies with my wife.

Until today, when I bought that ticket in row D, for what is being hailed as one of the best Alien movies ever. Granted, that’s not a high bar to clear.

If this is the movie event of the year,
I can’t miss it!

Welcome to the human race...
already seeing reports that

WARNING: "alien: romulus" spoilers below
the film includes a cgi deepfake of ian holm as ash

which, if true, make this an instant contender for the worst entry in the franchise. still gonna see it to confirm, though.

As of now, mine is we’ve seen it all before. To an extent, everything has been done in one of the previous movies. The ethical debate about cameos is one I understand, but doesn’t bother me. Good or bad, this is what movies are gonna be and I don’t remember people getting that upset at the Flash.

The production is great. The guy from Industry was a perfect fit for his character. Other than that, I can’t think of much.

This wasn’t my original thought and I don’t know who to credit…It feels like it could have been helped by another faction of humans. Two groups vying for these resources, strategizing against each other, would help ratchet up the tension. Maybe I’m forgetting and this has already been done, but I feel like the story needed something else.

My review: This feels really unnecessary. We have seen this before in the other Alien films and similar films, usually done better. Alien: Romulus doesn't do enough distinctively to stand out. Performances are hit and miss. Cailee Spaeny, David Jonsson, and Isabela Merced are effective, but the rest of the cast fell flat for me. No one here even comes close to matching Sigourney Weaver's iconic performance in the original Alien. It's not very scary and only moderately entertaining. For me, this is the weakest of the Alien films. 6/10 is my rating or

IMDb and Rotten Tomatoes have good scores, so what is in MoFo water that makes everybody to dislike it? Are MoFos too cool for Romulus?

IMDb and Rotten Tomatoes have good scores, so what is in MoFo water that makes everybody to dislike it? Are MoFos too cool for Romulus?
Perhaps the better question is what is wrong with Imdb and Rotten Tomatoes that make them give it a good score? We MoFos are the right ones!

Perhaps the better question is what is wrong with Imdb and Rotten Tomatoes that make them give it a good score? We MoFos are the right ones!
Yeah we don't buy into the hype just because others do!

I can feel people rolling their eyes 😅, but I think it has to do with the moment in time. Specifically, the dour state of the movie industry.

It feels like the reviews are more apt to pump up middling fare than they use to, because the industry is more dependent on drawing people to the theater in order to survive. How many reviews said this is the 3rd best film in the franchise? Even though I didn’t understand Prometheus on my own (thanks reddit) it is leagues better than Romulus. There just wasn’t anything special, any “oh s__t” moments.

I feel like an average moviegoer. It doesn’t take much for me to invest. Gets super excited for upcoming films. Just give me that taste of magic or wonderment. This never delivered any of that.

I love Alien movies...Prometheus is to this day my favorite 3-D IMAX experience. I appreciate what Fede Alvarez was going for, for a majority of the film but this is the worst Alien film aside from the Predator/Alien ones.

Wolverine and Deadpool did fan service right...this one did it wrong. Easter Eggs can't be plot points especially when they are non-sensical. If you are going to use practical effects you can't then just bust out weak CGI in the second half (same thing Prey did).

Welcome to the human race...
What is your main takeaway from this film?

As of now, mine is we’ve seen it all before. To an extent, everything has been done in one of the previous movies. The ethical debate about cameos is one I understand, but doesn’t bother me. Good or bad, this is what movies are gonna be and I don’t remember people getting that upset at the Flash.

The production is great. The guy from Industry was a perfect fit for his character. Other than that, I can’t think of much.

This wasn’t my original thought and I don’t know who to credit…It feels like it could have been helped by another faction of humans. Two groups vying for these resources, strategizing against each other, would help ratchet up the tension. Maybe I’m forgetting and this has already been done, but I feel like the story needed something else.
i think people generally didn't care about the flash and the dceu at large so its necromantic cameos fell by the wayside, whereas alien still has enough cultural cachet that romulus choosing the same path feels even harsher.

not wrong about how this could've used more humans - in trying to mimic everything about the original, it copies the similarly small crew size even as all subsequent sequels have

imdb has low standards and rt has a weird binary formula that doesn't deal in nuance - does a 100% fresh rating matter if all the reviews amount to "eh, it's not bad".

man, don't make me agree with the critical drinker (even if he is getting certain details wrong as usual).

I love Alien movies...Prometheus is to this day my favorite 3-D IMAX experience. I appreciate what Fede Alvarez was going for, for a majority of the film but this is the worst Alien film aside from the Predator/Alien ones.

Wolverine and Deadpool did fan service right...this one did it wrong. Easter Eggs can't be plot points especially when they are non-sensical. If you are going to use practical effects you can't then just bust out weak CGI in the second half (same thing Prey did).
i wouldn't necessarily call the "easter egg" nonsensical here, but that doesn't make it a good choice either (especially when there are such obvious alternatives that could be used instead). deadpool and wolverine essentially running on fan service makes it a fundamentally worse film in my eyes.

deadpool and wolverine essentially running on fan service makes it a fundamentally worse film in my eyes.
If you think the "fan service" was what the movie was running on, you didn't understand the film