Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
It's What's Inside

Jardin, 2024

It's What's Inside is tagged as horror comedy, but there is really very little that is horrific about it, so i am unsure it really qualifies. Regardless, I had a blast watching this twisty little thriller. In some ways similar to 2022's Bodies, Bodies, Bodies, not the least of which is its ultra-annoying cast, we have a similar set-up of a bunch of well-off partiers and trust funders hanging out in a massive mansion.

Pay close attention to who people are, their names, and what little background you get for each character, as it all comes into play later; this film requires your full attention or things will get confusing fast. I was able to keep track of all the twists and turns, but I see multiple reviewers complaining they got lost, or were tipsy when they watched so they ended up checking out halfway through because they couldn't keep everything straight.

Anyway, I woke up thinking about this one, so there is plenty to chew on, and I had a ton of fun watching. Recommended!

It's What's Inside

Jardin, 2024

I think this is one of the best new movies of 2024. Been meaning to watch it a 2nd time but haven't had time yet.

A system of cells interlinked
I think this is one of the best new movies of 2024. Been meaning to watch it a 2nd time but haven't had time yet.
I will watch it again, for sure. I do want to have a couple of friends over who haven't seen it, though. Would be fun to see their reactions.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Last Tango in Paris (1972)

Bertolucci's drama concerning a recently widowed man (Paul, Marlon Brando) who starts an obsessive sexual relationship with a free spirited, much younger Parisienne girl. The acting is good in both ends (I won't go into the controversy about Maria Shneider and subsequent complaints about filming techniques/ pressure to do sex scenes). It's a downbeat film with a few quality scenes (Paul at his wifes coffin for example) but it's a real mean-spirited and cynical one too. The final sequence of the chase ending up in the dance-hall really is rather depressing but I guess that was the intention? Bertolucci made 1900 after this which was a far better film IMHO.

I don't rate 10/10 too much, but this was one. I read an interview where Robert Altman said he thought about quitting after seeing this movie.

Woman of the Hour (2023/2024) Watched on Netflix. Anna Kendrick does a good job directing and starring in this film. Daniel Zovatto is effective as a serial killer who can turn on the charm when needed. The way the story is structured doesn't always work and relying on text on screen at the end isn't completely satisfying. This is a fine directorial debut by Kendrick and there is both potential and room for growth as a director in the future.

Rumours

Megalopolis aside, Guy Maddin's Rumours is the most bonkers movie to have played in theaters this year. If you like bonkers movies, you can't possibly miss this one.

Here's a movie that deftly plays its cards as both a political black comedy and some kind of bizarro world apocalypse the-end-is-near scenario.

Cate Blanchett leads the superb cast as Hilda Ortmann, the German Chancellor who is hosting a G7 summit in what might otherwise be an idyllic rural location. That is before the you-know-what hits the fan.

Charles Dance - still sounding very much like Charles Dance, thank you very much - plays American president Edison Wolcott; the cast also includes Alicia Vikander as the Swedish-speaking Secretary-General of the European Commission.

As for the movie itself - well, as you can see in the poster, it has been described as "Night of the Living Dead meets Dr. Strangelove". That's not a bad way to put it.

I won't give away anything regarding the actual storyline, since the movie is best enjoyed the less you know about what happens.

1st Rewatch...This sequel is just as silly and pointless as the first film. In this film, Elle Woods (Oscar winner Reese Witherspoon) learns that Bruiser's mom is being held captive in an animal testing laboratory and she wants Bruiser's mom to be present at her wedding to Emmett (Luke Wilson), so to get the animal out of the lab, she gets herself a job at the office of a congresswoman (Oscar winner Sally Field) where she initiates a bill to stop animal testing of cosmetics so that Bruiser's mom and all the other animals can be released. Witherspoon is as bouncy and annoying as she was in the first film and Wilson's role has been reduced to a glorified cameo. Oscar winners Field and Regina King are wasted in thankless roles, but the late Bob Newhart's role as a doorman almost makes this worth the time. There is entertainment value here, as long as you remember that, like in the Michael J Fox Film The Secret of My Success, NOTHING that happens in this film would EVER happen IRL.

I did a Joaquin double feature last night...

4th Rewatch...This movie just gets richer and richer with each rewatch. Joaquin Phoenix was robbed of an Oscar nomination for his performance as a techo-geek named Theodore Twombley who falls in love with the operating system installed into his computer, beautifully voiced by Scarlett Johanssen. A futuristic love story with some 1950's romance sensibilities at its core. This is becoming one of those films I never tire of rewatching. Spike Jonz' screenplay won an Oscar. Phoenix has never been sexier onscreen.

the other half of my Joaquin double bill...

4th rewatch...I had to watch this again before I watch the sequel, which I'm pretty sure is going to ruin it for me. Nothing has changed here. Phoenix is extraordinary.

1st Rewatch...Silly comedy about three moms (Mila Kunis, Katheryn Hahn, Kristen Bell), who all feel they are failing as mothers but after an accidental meeting where they end up getting drunk together in a bar, instead of wallowing in what they're feeling, they decide to embrace it. The film features a lot of silly physical comedy and Hahn steals every scene she's in as does Christina Applegate as the bitchy PTA president mom. To be honest, the best part of the movie is the closing credits which feartures interviews with the stars and their real-life moms. There was a sequel called Bad Moms Christmas, but this movie wasn't good enough to pique my curiosity about the second one.

I did a Joaquin double feature last night...

4th Rewatch...This movie just gets richer and richer with each rewatch. Joaquin Phoenix was robbed of an Oscar nomination for his performance as a techo-geek named Theodore Twombley who falls in love with the operating system installed into his computer, beautifully voiced by Scarlett Johanssen. A futuristic love story with some 1950's romance sensibilities at its core. This is becoming one of those films I never tire of rewatching. Spike Jonz' screenplay won an Oscar. Phoenix has never been sexier onscreen.
Love this movie. If you recall Samantha Morton was supposed to have this rôle. She & the director both agreed she wasn’t quite right for the rôle & they amicably parted ways after shooting every one of the director’s scenes.