The MoFo Top 100 Musicals Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I'm not a Jesus expert, but that sounds like you're getting it mixed up with Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.

Damn, you're right. I was conflating these two unseen musicals in my mind.
By virtue of that being a title that human beings recognize, that probably means it'll also show up somewhere on the list.

Annie is the second movie so far that I've voted for. Saw it a long long time ago and it still stands out in my mind.

There's probably a lot that could be said about it today in terms of "class", but at the end of the day it's a simple romp about a tomboy finally experiencing "the good life" with a few memorable songs to stick with you.

Question for everyone who voted for Annie, when did you first see Annie? I mean as a kid? Or an adult?
I've only seen parts of the film since my Mom is a huge fan of it. Maybe I'll watch the whole film someday.

Question for everyone who voted for Annie, when did you first see Annie? I mean as a kid? Or an adult?
I was a kid when I first saw it, but I have rewatched it at least a couple times as an adult.

I've only seen Annie but I really liked it. It was fun and charming and the cast sold it for me as I liked pretty much everybody. I'd totally forgotten John Huston had directed it!

I've not watched Jesus Christ Superstar all the way through but it seemed very interesting to say the least. And I like Yvonne Elliman quite a bit. As an Eric Clapton fan, I'm quite used to her voice on his albums. All that said, I voted for neither but nice to see them make it.

So far:
#1. On the Town #93 (list proper)
#6. Easter Parade #78 (list proper)
#10. Gigi #85 (list proper)
#12. Calamity Jane #84 (list proper)
#14. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers #71 (list proper)
#25. Neptune's Daughter (one-pointer).

Tomorrow: The First Nudie Musical and Repo! The Genetic Opera.

I forgot the opening line.
Minor catch up! I've seen all of the last 4, the previous 2 of which were on my ballot :

62. Frozen (2013) - Yep, I've seen Frozen. Millions and millions of children seem bedazzled by this Disney animated feature so I had to check it out. It didn't stick with me, but soon after watching it I was mightily impressed, giving it 4.5/5 and writing on Letterboxd : "I hear this one is popular with the kids, and I can really see why. It's also a film that has absolutely no consensus when it comes time to see how everyone rates it. Well, how does it look? It's looks beautiful - one of the best looking animated films I've ever seen, with snow-filled landscapes, animals and icy architecture that's dazzling. It also sounds great, with plenty of extremely catchy tunes - a little pop-music, but fitting all the same, and enjoyable. The funny stuff is very winsome, and I thought that this movie was full of clever comedy that works for adults and kids. The story takes inspiration from Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale "The Snow Queen", which is popular in Russia, but isn't adapted quite as much in English-speaking countries - so it's a nice change. You've gotta give this one to the kids - they've voted with their nagging insistence to see Frozen again, and this animated film is set to unleash a wave of nostalgia in the decades to come. Already a classic - and I think excellent." I'll have to watch it again one day - it almost feels like I'm recommending films to myself when I read reviews which are impressed with movies I barely remember watching.

61. Corpse Bride (2005) - I've seen this as well. On Letterboxd I simply wrote "Impressively alive and exuding life for an animated film about a corpse bride." Three years later and it's another case of remembering a movie in a very general way, but having forgotten many of the specifics - including all of the songs. I gave Corpse Bride 3.5/5, so it's another animated feature that I appreciated at the very least.

60. Annie (1982) - I watched Annie for the first time fairly recently, and I never expected that I'd one day be putting it on a ballot regarding my favourite musicals, but here we are. What got it over the line was the fact that Carol Burnett, Tim Curry, Albert Finney and Bernadette Peters are in it - and all four are wonderful to watch. I love Carol Burnett - I really do. Soon after seeing it for the first time, I watched it again - always a sign that something has really clicked with me. I'd avoided watching Annie for my entire life, thinking I'd hate it - but approached with an open mind, it's a lively Depression-era update on Oliver Twist with a few absolutely unforgettable music numbers and impressive visual period film optics. I think it gets unfairly maligned, and until now I would have been one of the people putting it down - but I've changed, and as such this made it onto my ballot at #23.

59. Jesus Christ Superstar (1973) - This film introduced me to Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice's rock opera - and it quickly became a huge hit with me. I immediately took to all of the songs, and I have since listened to what feels like dozens of different artists sing them. This unusual, theatrical interpretation is interesting - and while the cast perform in modern-day Israel/Palestine as if somehow transported from the past to the present they perform with incredible gusto and commitment. All I can say is that I love everything about Jesus Christ Superstar (even though I'm not at all religious - although that's surely not a requisite when you take a good look at it.) I have it at #5 on my ballot.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seen : 28/42
I'd never even heard of : 6/42
Movies that had been on my radar, but I haven't seen yet : 8/42
Films from my list : 5

#59 - My #5 - Jesus Christ Superstar (1973)
#60 - My #23 - Annie (1982)
#72 - My #22 - Yellow Submarine (1968)
#92 - My #8 - Tommy (1975)
One-pointer - My #25 - Shock Treatment (1981)

Latest Review : Double Down (2005)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Annie is another movie that is good, but it doesn't live up to the Broadway show. (But I may be a bit biased because a friend of mine played one of the orphans when I saw it on Broadway many years ago.) I prefer the 1999 movie over the 1982 version, but they're both good movies with great music. While I wouldn't have voted for either version, the songs are so good that I'm glad to see that at least one version made the countdown.

Jesus Christ Superstar has a few great songs, but the movie is only okay for me.

Trouble with a capital "T"
Just got through watching this...

I'd never seen Jesus Christ Superstar before and I gotta say I was impressed! The song arraignments blew me away. The song lyrics were bold and biting at times, not at all what I had expected. It's narrative was well balanced between a religious view of Jesus and a humanistic view of Jesus. The cinematography was sublime and I'm not talking about the gorgeous shooting locations, I'm talking about the shooting techniques.

While I was watching the film my thoughts were probably much different than the average viewer. I was thinking about how amazing it was that the Israels allowed the film crew to shoot on ancient historic ruins. I can't believe that the film crew got that lucky, it really makes the film special. Today they wouldn't be allowed to do that so we'd get CG instead. The film makers even got the Israel Air Force to fly two jet fighters over Judah's scene out in the desert.

Impressive everything in the film except the King Herod scene which was not only flat out silly but took me right out of the film. Still I rate this

I should say that rating is coming from someone who is not religious.

I liked both of those. Fingers crossed they make the countdown.

Sadly, my other two guesses don't have enough songs to qualify: Possibly in Michigan (1983), and Night Trap for the Sega CD (1992).

Victim of The Night
I probably should have found room for Annie, I thought Albert Finney and Anne Reinking were both great, Carol Burnett, Burnadette Peters, Tim Curry, Geoffrey Holder, all great.

I got to be in a small production of Jesus Christ Superstar about 20 years ago so I do have a pretty strong appreciation for it but I don't think I ever watched the film all the way through.

Seriously though, I'm actually guessing double Disney. Coco and Encanto.

6lists70points
Top Hat
Director

Mark Sandrich, 1935

Starring

Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, Edward Everett Horton, Erik Rhodes

5lists73points
The Greatest Showman
Director

Michael Gracey, 2017

Starring

Hugh Jackman, Zac Efron, Michelle Williams, Rebecca Ferguson

Haven't seen either. Top Hat came up often when I took an online course on Musicals a while ago, and I probably should've seen it by now. I just haven't found the time.

The Greatest Showman is one that a lot of relatives love; my brother, some in-laws... but again, I just haven't found the time.

SEEN: 13/44
MY BALLOT: 3/25

My ballot  

Reply to Topic