The MoFo Top 100 Musicals Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Seen Yellow Submarine. Didn't think of it for the countdown.

Obviously the music's great, so that accounts for something, but I also don't do drugs so I can't really recommend the trip.

Holy cow.
I just assumed Seven Brides For Seven Brothers would be top-20 if not top-10.
My first absolute shock of the countdown.
I had it at No.10, fwiw.
No arguments regarding the sexist undertones of Seven Brides, but I still love that Barn raising dance and “Lonesome Polecat”

I haven't seen either of these movies.
I lost interest in Woody Allen after Manhattan. Though I did really like that one with Cate Blanchett as the social climber on the down-a-later.
Cate Blanchett won an Oscar for that movie. Its called Blue Jasmine

Two more I haven't seen... I mean, today's... and yesterday's... and probably tomorrow's.

SEEN: 5/30
MY BALLOT: 1/25

My ballot  

Stats: Pit Stop #3

Now that we've hit the second pit stop (70), here are some stats:

Decade Breakdown
  • 1920s = 0
  • 1930s = 3
  • 1940s = 2
  • 1950s = 6
  • 1960s = 3
  • 1970s = 2
  • 1980s = 3
  • 1990s = 3
  • 2000s = 2
  • 2010s = 4
  • 2020s = 2

As was expected, the 1950s continue rolling with three more on this latest batch for a lead of 6 entries. The 1960s also have a strong showing with 2 more, with a pretty level rest.

Recurring Directors
  • Stanley Donen = 2
  • Vincente Minnelli = 2

This latest batch also gave us our first two repeating directors in Vincente Minnelli (Gigi and The Band Wagon) and Stanley Donen (Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and On the Town)

We also have had 5 animated films so far.

I forgot the opening line.
Ah - another from my list. It's been a while!

72. Yellow Submarine (1968) - Nearly everything the Beatles touched turned to gold (I say nearly because I watched their Magical Mystery Tour special - probably the only thing Beatles-related I could really think poorly of) and Yellow Submarine is a fantabulous creation. The mix of psychedelic animation and brilliant music is charming and the kooky story like something from a dream. It's funny and it's heart is in a wonderfully pure and innocent place (oh, for some of that innocence and love in today's world!) The sheer bizarreness of some of the visuals is thrilling because of how much there is to see and how strikingly uncanny it all is. I love it, so of course it needed to make my musicals ballot - I had it at #22.

71. Seven Brides For Seven Brothers (1954) - I've been avoiding this musical my whole life. Who knows, maybe it's time I gave it a go. I'm put off a little by how unnaturally cheery it appears to be - but I'm slowly gaining an appreciation for well choreographed song and dance in musicals of old.

Seen 20/30

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seen : 20/30
I'd never even heard of : 5/30
Movies that had been on my radar, but I haven't seen yet : 5/30
Films from my list : 3

#72 - My #22 - Yellow Submarine (1968)
#92 - My #8 - Tommy (1975)
One-pointer - My #25 - Shock Treatment (1981)

Latest Review : Double Down (2005)

I successfully predicted the future as I haven't seen these films either.
Me either.

3lists60points
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Director

Joel Coen, 2000

Starring

George Clooney, John Turturro, Tim Blake Nelson, John Goodman

7lists60points
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
Director

Howard Hawks, 1953

Starring

Marilyn Monroe, Jane Russell, Charles Coburn, Elliott Reid

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
And finally a film from my list has shown up (not counting the one-pointers). Gentlemen Prefer Blondes was my #24. It's just a really fun musical.

Seen 26/32
My list 1/25

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes has wonderful performances, witty dialogue and fun songs. I rated it an 8/10. O Brother Where Art Thou is entertaining and enjoyable, although I don't really think of it as a musical. I also rated it an 8/10. I did not have enough room on my ballot to consider either one though.

Seen: 31/32

Trouble with a capital "T"
I rewatched Gentlemen Prefer Blondes and liked it more than I even expected, so much so that I found a place on my ballot. It was my #23.
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953)
Marilyn Monroe was much more talented than people gave her credit for. Here she's so good in a comedy role in which she plays Lorelei Lee a showgirl who wants to marry for money. Her sidekick, brunette Jane Russell thinks that's silly and tries to guide her gold digging friend in the right direction. I bet we ALL know the musical number that Marilyn sings, Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend, that was Marilyn's signature number. A very funny well paced musical.

Cohen movies are really hit or miss for me and O Brother, Where Art Thou? was one of the misses. I haven't seen Gentlemen Prefer Blondes but I doubt I would like it.

Seen: 10/32

Seen ne- no wait! I have seen one this time!

The Coens are among my favorite the directors, but that one in particular is not one of my favs from them. It’s a bit weird and I don’t feel like it quite succeeds.

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes I actually really wanna see but have yet to do so.

I love O Brother, but forgot to include it in my list. I'm not sure it's a proper musical so maybe I wouldn't have anyway, I think I just used whatever IMDb categorises as a Musical.

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes was my number nine, wonderful film. I love Howard Hawks and Marilyn Monroe. I rewatched this a couple of years ago when the monstrosity which is Blonde came out.

Surprised it's so low, pretty much every entry I've seen since The Band Wagon has left me thinking "really, higher than The Band Wagon?" so now I'm going to be thinking "really, higher than The Band Wagon AND Gentlemen Prefer Blondes?"

Reply to Topic