The MoFo Top 100 Musicals Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I really liked Moana and wanted to include it on my ballot, but couldn't make room. I like the animation, the characters, and the songs. A Star is Born is very good too and has wonderful performances, but again I did not have sufficient room on my ballot

Seen: 33/34

I forgot the opening line.
68. Moana (2016) - This one stuck in my memory for a couple of reasons. First, the animation was extraordinarily pretty to look at and at times down right awe-inspiring. Second, the songs were as catchy as the most infectious pop tunes imaginable. Pretty good, and a really nice surprise for me. As much as I liked it, it couldn't push out any of my worthy contenders on a Top 25 ballot - but it was one I stopped and really thought about. It deserves a place on this Top 100 list - that's for sure. It'd be on my Top 100.

67. A Star is Born (1954) - This is probably the best Star is Born, although I get a funny feeling that one or two of the other versions are going to appear further up - most probably that Lady Gaga 2018 version. It feels like that was released yesterday! Time flies. I'm not so sure about the '76 version, although that was okay I think. ("Not bad. Not great," I said on Letterboxd.) Judy Garland had already been through a lot by the time she appeared in this. Couldn't quite do enough for me to make my ballot.

Seen 23/34

Latest Review : Double Down (2005)

Loved Moana and even have it on Blu-Ray. But my attraction to it is not as much for the music as it is the beautiful animation. It's nice to see it made it.

A Star is Born is a great movie and Judy Garland and James Mason are fantastic in it. Judy is indeed a star in this, but I included films with her that I watch more often and consider them more favorite that aSiB. Maybe not better films but films I look more forward to if they aire. So, neither film on my list but good to see them.

So far:
#1. On the Town #93 (list proper)
#6. Easter Parade #78 (list proper)
#10. Gigi #85 (list proper)
#12. Calamity Jane #84 (list proper)
#14. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers #71 (list proper)
#25. Neptune's Daughter (one-pointer).

Trouble with a capital "T"
....Two things about Seven Brides for Seven Brothers:

1) The man who directed it had five wives! FIVE!...
There's no need to shame people for their life style choices. Who knows maybe the poor man married five nut case women

Two things about Seven Brides for Seven Brothers:

1) The man who directed it had five wives! FIVE!.
You would be unhappy and miserable with five loving and masculine husbands?

Victim of The Night
I know "You're Welcome" will probably get the most thumbs up, but this is the one that always sticks with me the most.

As usual, Jermaine Clement is killing it.
Best part of the movie, IMO.

I don't even know what "You're welcome" is.

You would be unhappy and miserable with five loving and masculine husbands?

I mean, that might mean just that many more men to clean up after as they'll probably all be bad at dividing the household chores (despite their claims to the contrary).

68. Moana (2016) - This one stuck in my memory for a couple of reasons. First, the animation was extraordinarily pretty to look at and at times down right awe-inspiring. Second, the songs were as catchy as the most infectious pop tunes imaginable. Pretty good, and a really nice surprise for me. As much as I liked it, it couldn't push out any of my worthy contenders on a Top 25 ballot - but it was one I stopped and really thought about. It deserves a place on this Top 100 list - that's for sure. It'd be on my Top 100.

67. A Star is Born (1954) - This is probably the best Star is Born, although I get a funny feeling that one or two of the other versions are going to appear further up - most probably that Lady Gaga 2018 version. It feels like that was released yesterday! Time flies. I'm not so sure about the '76 version, although that was okay I think. ("Not bad. Not great," I said on Letterboxd.) Judy Garland had already been through a lot by the time she appeared in this. Couldn't quite do enough for me to make my ballot.

Seen 23/34
I just wanted to throw this in here:

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=58423

I have seen three of the last four, all except A Star Is Born (I haven't seen any version of this one).

O Brother, Where Art Thou? and Gentlemen Prefer Blondes are both good, fun movies that didn't find a place on the bottom half of my list but certainly could have.

Moana was my #4, not just the best of the modern Disney animated films, but the best of all Disney animated films. A cracking adventure story that hits the right notes of humor and pathos. I'm a fan of the songs already mentioned, but the moment when Moana restores the heart of Te Fiti is an emotional high-water mark in Disney animation--it never fails to set my skin tingling.

8lists61points
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Director

Tim Burton, 2007

Starring

Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Alan Rickman, Timothy Spall

4lists63points
Duck Soup
Director

Leo McCarey, 1933

Starring

Groucho Marx, Harpo Marx, Chico Marx, Zeppo Marx

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I haven't seen the film of Sweeney since it came out, but I did see the stage musical last year and it was very good, so I should probably give the movie another try.

I watched Demon Barber for this countdown and really liked it, but I kept thinking the musical aspect was unnecessary.

I'm not a big fan of Duck Soup.

5. Charlotte's Web (#79)
17. Calamity Jane (#84)
20. Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (#66)
21. A Star is Born 1954 (#67)
25. 42nd Street (#76)

Sweeney Todd was my #11. I really like the costumes, set design, and cinematography. Johnny Depp is fantastic and the story is told in an entertaining and engaging way. I rated Sweeney Todd a 9/10. I have seen Duck Soup and found it underwhelming. I expected it to be funnier and more entertaining. It's a 6/10 from me.

Seen: 35/36

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Sweeney Todd is the first time I remember seeing trailers for a musical that don't make it clear it's a musical. That happens all the time now (Recently: Cyrano, The Color Purple, Joker 2...), but that's the first time I remember noticing it. I don't know when that started as a marketing ploy. It seems a bit daft to try to 'trick' people into watching musicals and I do remember some of the outraged reviews from people who hadn't realised it was a musical (and one of those musicals that is more singing than speaking, not just a movie with songs thrown in, moreover).

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Duck Soup!!!

All Marx Brothers films, that I'm aware of, have some great musical numbers and musical elements. Duck Soup is considered to be one of their best films alongside Animal Crackers, Horse Feathers, and A Night at the Opera. My favorite musical number in a Marx Brothers film is in The Cocoanuts with "The Tale of the Shirt" and also I absolutely love Kay Francis who has a solid role in the film too. But the Marx Brothers films, to my mind, qualify as musicals just because musical moments are so integral to a Marx Brothers film. Now I'll be honest, I was tempted to vote for The Cocoanuts, as to my mind it's maybe their best film in terms of the musical elements, but I wanted to vote in a way as to guarantee a Marx Brother film place on the list. This is why Duck Soup is my number 14 pick.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

Reply to Topic