I'm nowhere since the Pit Stop...

#90 - West Side Story (2021)
#89 - Begin Again (2013)
#88 - Gold Diggers of 1933
#87 - Anastasia (1997)
#86 - Into the Woods (2014)
#85 - Gigi (1958)

Seen none of these.
Only know Gigi (1958) and vaguely know about some recent remake of West Side Story.

My guesses for tomorrow's movies: Into the Woods and Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.
I guessed one of today's movies correctly! Hooray for me. I love Into the Woods and it was number 6 on my ballot. I've seen Gigi and recall liking it, but don't remember much of it. It was never in contention for my ballot.

Seen: 15/16

Not sure when you last watched this movie, but the burning bush sequence is about 45 minutes in - so well past the opening number.
I meant just in terms of music, I don't remember when the second/third songs are.

The movie looks good, but it didn’t strike me as being anything special in terms of the artwork. To me it looks just like Sinbad or Spirit or any of the other 2-D DreamWorks flicks.
Well, I guess we're at an impasse because to me it's obviously leaps and bounds beyond that. I'm not just talking technically, though, to be clear. And the most jaw-dropping shots, the ones that first come to mind, are in the second half of the film, so maybe that's part of it.

I didn’t like the songs at all
Welp, no accounting for taste, as they say. Zimmer and Schwartz are musical legends and I don't think they've ever been better, but nothing much to say there.

The good news is all this conversation has inspired me to revisit it!

None of the friends I was thinking of were raised that way, no. And even as a religious person I don't find the story comforting at all. It's probably one of the least comforting of the most common Biblical stories, and that was a source of criticism (and, in more thoughtful cases, praise) at the time, too: that it's not your typical, inoffensive family film. It deals with some really serious stuff.

Generally, irreligious people love it because it's still a good story, the animation is gorgeous (and not just in the boring technically impressive sense, but in the sense of having genuine artistry and thoughtful cinematography) and the music is top-notch, which is to be expected with the likes of Schwartz and Zimmer. It sounds like you may have gotten through maybe just the opening number. I dunno if you'd have liked the rest of it or not.

I don't really mind if someone doesn't like it, but I can't really figure out from this post what it was. Did you think the music was bad? How did it manage to "annoy"? Et cetera. I don't generally litigate conclusions because there's no accounting for taste, but I do like to understand how those conclusions are reached.

When strict moral beliefs come into play, even in the subconscious, it can make something difficult to watch. I have a serious problem with films centering around false accusations, and can't even bring myself to watch Mr. Smith Goes to Washington without a buddy. As for TPOE, whether the Bible is fact or fiction, the story is one about waging war, and the most we can do with films like this is address the major discomfort while acknowledging the reasoning. But that's a discussion for a whole other thread. It's not comfortable, and that's the reason it's a melodrama.

As for the music itself, while I absolutely adore it, I can see why its overly-dramatic show tunes would be off-putting to some people. I have a major hard rock fan of a stepfather who's only other tastes I know of are some Golden Lightfoot and occasional disco. Me, I just love the occasional classical album, and this movie's one of the major reasons for it.

Check out Karajan's 1987 version of Requiem, especially Lacrimosa.

To me it looks just like Sinbad or Spirit or any of the other 2-D DreamWorks flicks.
The animation quality is good, but yeah, it does have a very generic drawing style overall similar to how all the Pixar and Disney 3D movies increasingly blend together.

I guessed one of today's movies correctly! Hooray for me. I love Into the Woods and it was number 6 on my ballot. I've seen Gigi and recall liking it, but don't remember much of it. It was never in contention for my ballot.

Seen: 15/16
Loved Into the Woods…Streep was superb

The animation quality is good, but yeah, it does have a very generic drawing style overall similar to how all the Pixar and Disney 3D movies increasingly blend together.
I think it was less common at the time; it was years before the other two films mentioned, so seeing it now probably makes it look more generic than it is/was. At the time it was a lot more grown-up looking than most of the other animated family films being put out by the major studios.

Anyway, what sets it apart is not the technical aspects of the animation (though those come through in the action sequences more than the base character stuff), but the way it's "shot," with the kind of visual inventiveness and theme-enhancing framing you'd expect to see in a serious, live action dramatic film. Something animated films don't really do enough of, assuming the animation itself is the most visually important thing.

And it contains probably the single-most beautiful moment I've seen in any animated film, ever:

I watched Gigi for the 50's countdown and can't remember a single thing about it, not even that it was a musical.

Have not seen Into the Woods.

I have seen both Into the Woods and Gigi. I love Gigi. Leslie Caron is charming as the more immature Gigi. What is going in the movie is weird. I'm not really a big believer in raising up girls to be courtesans. I'm a big fan of Lerner and Loewe songs. I also love Camelot, My Fair Lady and Brigadoon, other Lerner and Loewe musicals. the Vincente Minelli direction and

Gigi is on my list.

I forgot the opening line.
86. Into the Woods (2014) - Don't know much about this one, and obviously I haven't seen it. Anything to do with Little Red Riding Hood or fairy tales doesn't do much for me. They didn't do much for me as a kid even, and these contemporary adult reimaginings I do not understand.

85. Gigi (1958) - I've seen this - and I really like Leslie Caron, but I liked it as opposed to loving it. On Letterboxd I wrote : "I enjoyed the music in GiGi, and the production design was absolutely through the roof and gorgeous - not to mention the costumes - but the story left a few things to be desired, and all this fussing over stupidly wealthy people turns me off sometimes." Thank Heaven For Little Girls is one of the weirdest numbers in a musical I've ever heard/seen - especially from Maurice Chevalier!

Seen : 10/16

Latest Review : Double Down (2005)

85. Gigi (1958) - I've seen this - and I really like Leslie Caron, but I liked it as opposed to loving it. On Letterboxd I wrote : "I enjoyed the music in GiGi, and the production design was absolutely through the roof and gorgeous - not to mention the costumes - but the story left a few things to be desired, and all this fussing over stupidly wealthy people turns me off sometimes." Thank Heaven For Little Girls is one of the weirdest numbers in a musical I've ever heard/seen - especially from Maurice Chevalier!

Seen : 10/16
I like the song BECAUSE it's "weird" in the modern, but was considered cute, endearing & lyrical when it originated.

I like the song BECAUSE it's "weird" in the modern, but was considered cute, endearing & lyrical when it originated.

Wow, that triggered a memory from a movie I had long forgotten even existed: My Father the Hero.

I saw and liked Into the Woods, mainly because I like Anna Kendrick and Emily Blunt, and the two of them in a flm together? Forget about it! Only a sort of fan of Meryl Streep (her role in Sophie's Choice is the epitome of her talent for me) but I really liked her in the film.

Gigi is one of my wife's favorite films so I didn't see it till we were married lo, those many years ago. And I was suprised to find out about Gigi's training to be a courtesan, and at a seemingly young age. But I didn't judge, as the movie was so entertaining. And I love Leslie Caron so she did no wrong for me. Really loved the whole cast as well. Everything worked for me in this classic. It made my list.

So far:
#1. On the Town
#10. Gigi
#25. Neptune's Daughter (one-pointer)

Seen neither, wish to see neither.

As for the song, the next line is For little girls get bigger every day. He's thankful that every day they get closer to becoming women, surely? It's not like he's MJ or something.

I've never liked the second half of Into the Woods. Terrible.

I've never seen Gigi.